Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably the only scenario of raising cap this year that I would be ok with is if the stock shoots up to like $1,500 in a day or two after battery day based on what is shown at battery day :eek:
I believe it's the main idea why they are doing such days: to present their new projects and the ability to do them for investors and raise money to help execute it as quickly as possible. I doubt it's just a show for retail investors or just to embarrass competitors (and showing lots of sensitive information while doing that). After all, Tesla could definitely find where to put extra money productively given so many upcoming mega giga teraprojects.

Bill Maurer of Seeking Alpha (no relation to Rob) has some useful thoughts on Tesla S&P inclusion:

'Back when I wrote that article, I took a look at three top S&P 500 ETFs - the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY), the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (VOO), and the iShares Core S&P 500 ETF (IVV) - those three alone would have had to add about $4.85 billion in Tesla shares. Well, given Tesla's rise to a market cap of more than $185 billion, the implied weight in the S&P 500 index would now be about 70 basis points, give or take, up from around 58 basis points in my previous update. Combined with the overall market rally and new money coming in thanks to global stimulus, the above three ETFs alone would now have to add almost $6.9 billion in Tesla shares if the company is added to the index. This gives Tesla management even more of a reason to try and get the company GAAP profitable this quarter, and it could deliver Elon Musk another tranche of his massive pay package before the end of 2020.'

How complicated is it to drive an electric vehicle?
In minutes i adapted.
An 18 wheeler with manual transmission is way more complex.
What am I missing.
The a look inside the Tesla Semi. It is quite like other Teslas. How comfortable is the average heavy vehicle driver with current Digital tools? Driving it trivial, operating is not.

Bill Maurer of Seeking Alpha (no relation to Rob) has some useful thoughts on Tesla S&P inclusion:

'Back when I wrote that article, I took a look at three top S&P 500 ETFs - the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY), the Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (VOO), and the iShares Core S&P 500 ETF (IVV) - those three alone would have had to add about $4.85 billion in Tesla shares. Well, given Tesla's rise to a market cap of more than $185 billion, the implied weight in the S&P 500 index would now be about 70 basis points, give or take, up from around 58 basis points in my previous update. Combined with the overall market rally and new money coming in thanks to global stimulus, the above three ETFs alone would now have to add almost $6.9 billion in Tesla shares if the company is added to the index. This gives Tesla management even more of a reason to try and get the company GAAP profitable this quarter, and it could deliver Elon Musk another tranche of his massive pay package before the end of 2020.'

Could anyone clarify - in simple terms - how this works in terms of how many available shares there are / how many are assumed to be held long-term / how many will be needed by short-sellers covering on top of those above-mentioned EFTs?

And... if indeed Tesla is profitable this quarter, is there any way this will NOT be a crazy rush to buy those remaining shares, causing a short squeeze?

Much appreciated!

"VW has decided to release the car without various features, including the App Connect function used to run Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Early adopters will also temporarily go without some functions of the augmented reality head-up display. Both will be restored with a software update as soon as engineers are confident the new car’s E3 electrical system is able to reliably support them."
o_O:confused:

Anyone else buying more here? lol
I would be slowly adding but waiting on broader market conditions to stabilize a little.

The a look inside the Tesla Semi. It is quite like other Teslas. How comfortable is the average heavy vehicle driver with current Digital tools? Driving it trivial, operating is not.
That probably isn't a major concern. All of those guys use android or apple phones and have for years. I think most of us would be surprised at how resourceful truck drivers are.

Data point of one but I did talk to a semi driver who worked for Tesla and he had no complaints about the interface when he tested the semi.

Could anyone clarify - in simple terms - how this works in terms of how many available shares there are / how many are assumed to be held long-term / how many will be needed by short-sellers covering on top of those above-mentioned EFTs?

And... if indeed Tesla is profitable this quarter, is there any way this will NOT be a crazy rush to buy those remaining shares, causing a short squeeze?

Much appreciated!

I think an important thought here is that a lot of investors figure that the owners of these ETFs are probably buying the shares ahead of time, but I don't think this is the case. The ETF itself obviously can't own the shares ahead of time, and they don't care what they're paying for the shares anyway - their job is just to mirror the market. Front-running the purchases could happen, but any market participant would be equally as likely to do this. Maybe someone with more knowledge on how this works can help - do the ETF's wait the the S&P announcement and then start buying at the market price over some pre-determined amount of time?

Don't know if US and EU differ here. I'm not in the business but I have several times read about truck drivers crashing because they used their phones while driving. Or a tablet computer to watch movies while driving. So I think many are OK with touch screens.

When I drove a Tesla I learned fast since I knew how lights/air-con etc should work. I believe most truck drivers know how the log-system, traction- and differential controls, the hitch etc work. So for most drivers the main issue would be "where is that button?" which was my main issue driving a Tesla.

Then you will always have some drivers using their old Nokia phone. They should probably keep their diesel rigs...

I feel like we hit bottom for the day 5-10 mins ago. It's not entirely out of the question to see Tesla finish the day back at 1,000

NASDAQ-100
NASDAQ: NDX
9,612.63 −481.62 (-4.77%)
Jun. 11, 3:37 p.m. EDT

Tesla Inc
NASDAQ: TSLA
976.00 USD −49.05 (4.79%)
Jun. 11, 3:36 p.m. EDT

it-would-take-a-miracle.jpg

I'll call today to close at yesterday's Upper-BB: $974.60 though it's pretty clear that today TSLA is moving in lock-step with the NDX macros.

This is an improvement, whereas TSLA used to always plunge at a large multiple of those macros (typically 2x).

Cheers!

While the market is overstretched right now, I don't see it being drastically overvalued because money has transitioned from some sectors into others, especially tech.

I agree. I think it helps to look beyond tech though. It will be like there are two economies going forward. Those strongly impacted by CV and those not. While it's true these two economies cannot be completely separate, it's not like they are joined at the hip. In a modern economy, I think there is more separation than is widely appreciated.

Think of one economy being defined by airlines, hotels, restaurants, rental cars and tourism and another economy defined by manufacturing, farming, trucking, information technology, communication services, healthcare, materials, real estate, utilities, communication services, construction, home improvement, education and industrials. Some sectors straddle both economies like energy and other sectors with a heavy bias to supporting the first economy like airplane manufacturing and autos (due to rental car sales). Let's call them the "travel economy" and the "backbone economy".

Going forward I expect growth in the latter and continuing softness in the former. Sure, loss of jobs and profits affects both economies but I think in a modern economy, especially with the help the Fed and Federal government are providing, the effect overall will not be as disastrous as many assume. Also, some of the lost profits/expenses in the travel economy will simply be transferred to the backbone economy as people and businesses reallocate resources. For example, instead of a vacation, a family might buy new furniture, a new car or have their yard re-landscaped. A business might allocate money that would have been spent on business travel to software solutions or new equipment or some of it could end up as additional profit as companies learn that business travel doesn't offer a good return on investment (particularly if their competitors have curtailed business travel expenses). This will help offset some of the losses in the backbone economy due to the unavoidable negative impacts transferred from one economy to the other.

For sure, it's a big disruption but it's more of a reallocation of resources and expenditures than a complete loss. Going forward, investors will need to keep this in mind. I'm in the camp that thinks this disruption will accelerate the transition to cleaner energies.