Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we even make any sense of this anymore? I mean... seriously??

upload_2020-7-10_16-35-46.png

In all seriousness, I feel like putting blinders on my obsessive TSLA & net worth watch, and focusing on strategic developments - battery day, plants openings, solar progress, European-sized hatchback?, FSD subscription, etc.

The crazy thing is - the higher TSLA goes before announcement, the more TSLA the ETFs have to buy!

I’ve seen more people claim this over the last few days and I believe it is not correct. Whether SP is at $1 or at $5,000, the number of shares the index funds have to buy remains the same. The higher TSLA goes the bigger part of the S&P 500 it constitutes, but with SP so high the index funds don’t have to buy more shares to get to the value they need.

The only thing that changes is how much they have to pay for those TSLA shares. And thus they have to sell more shares of the other 504 stocks.

It’s so simple. Tesla has all of the ingredients for a mega bubble short squeeze. Low float, stubborn longs, $20b in short interest, forced buying by S&P index funds at ANY price, Fed helping market and low rates, dumb money piling in at the top. I’m putting 100 shares up for sale at $1,000 increments. I think $TSLA past $3,000 is ridiculously overvalued at this point in time, but it will happen soon. And it won’t last long. That being said you will never find me with 0 TSLA shares, but it may be time to trim some, starting at $3,000

Bubbles love to top at round numbers
TVIX topped at $1000.00
Bitcoin topped at $20,000.00
VW 2008 squeeze topped at $1,000.00
Many more examples from 1999

going to guess Tesla will have massive supply at $10,000 by people in the know

Well that was an alright day for the stock...

Yeah, tomorrows headline:

Tesla tries but can't quite eek out an 11% gain on unbridled optimism. /s

Actually, I posted a week ago that I thought we were going to see the media and analysts turn a lot more positive on Tesla and I can see that happening already but it appears the very deep and very real threats Tesla poses to multiple big money industries will keep the optimism somewhat bifurcated and discombobulated. The boys in the club on Wall Street are still going to pump this story as high as they can but many people in the media that can normally take a story and run with it are confused. So the overall messaging probably won't be as clear as I was originally thinking.

Why do soome people always do this? Take a move that surprised them and try to pretend it was caused by a single person or entity (when, in fact, it's a major shift in the market). It makes them sound naive.

I don't think consumer buyers into Tesla would move the price 10%. Some institutional buying doesn't seem naive, it seems highly likely.

The lack of selling ahead of earnings and potential S&P is obviously driving the market.

Sorry if this has been posted already but I don't want to read the 20 pages since my last visit: From my TD feed:

Why Tesla Margin Requirement Changes Could Be A Buying Opportunity

Given shares of Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) have doubled since CEO Elon Musk tweeted that "Tesla stock price is too high imo" a little more than two months ago, many Tesla traders are understandably torn about how to approach the stock at its current level above.

Unfortunately, a number of market dynamics unrelated to Tesla's underlying business performance are muddying the waters as well.

On Friday morning, Benzinga founder and CEO Jason Raznick joined Benzinga’s PreMarket Prep trading show and discussed how brokers are changing margin requirements, and it could trigger Tesla selling pressure in the near term.

Raising Margin Requirements

Margin requirement is a percentage of a stock that a trader must pay for in cash rather than credit.

Raznick said he received a message from E*TRADE Financial Corp (NASDAQ: ETFC) on Thursday notifying him that margin requirements for Tesla shares have risen from 55% to 70%.

“E*TRADE gives you the option to sell some stuff off or it does it automatically,” Raznick said.

Within minutes of receiving that notification, Raznick said he observed a dip in Tesla’s share price.

“A lot of people that got this message yesterday had to sell shares,” he said. “Multiple people I talked to overnight were forced to liquidate Tesla shares. Multiple people. And these are people who were positive, up on Tesla, and they had to sell by the close yesterday.
Raznick said brokerages are attempting to free up shares of Tesla to sell to institutional investors.

“This is happening because large institutions are buying shares of Tesla, and brokerage firms want to free up shares to sell these large institutions,” he said.

Tesla's stock traded higher by 8.4% at time of publication on Friday to $1,512 per share.

See Also: Tesla Demonstrates Why Short Selling Is So Much More Dangerous Than Going Long

Forced Selling

On Thursday, E*TRADE, Charles Schwab Corporation (NYSE: SCHW) and Fidelity all reportedly increased margin maintenance on Tesla to 70%.

"There are people selling this stock right now not because they want to, not because they have bad fundamentals; they are being forced to. Including myself and including some others, we are forced to sell stock because of the margin we have on it, and I do believe that represents a potential long-term trading opportunity," Raznick said.

Raznick said he bought October $1,500 Tesla call options a week and a half ago and is looking to buy more Tesla call options on Friday.

A representative from Schwab was not immediately available for comment

It’s so simple. Tesla has all of the ingredients for a mega bubble short squeeze. Low float, stubborn longs, $20b in short interest, forced buying by S&P index funds at ANY price, Fed helping market and low rates, dumb money piling in at the top. I’m putting 100 shares up for sale at $1,000 increments. I think $TSLA past $3,000 is ridiculously overvalued at this point in time, but it will happen soon. And it won’t last long. That being said you will never find me with 0 TSLA shares, but it may be time to trim some, starting at $3,000

Bubbles love to top at round numbers
TVIX topped at $1000.00
Bitcoin topped at $20,000.00
VW 2008 squeeze topped at $1,000.00
Many more examples from 1999

going to guess Tesla will have massive supply at $10,000 by people in the know

I'll put in a sell now for my 2500 call at 499.

Reactions: anthonyj
Update on Tesla’s 2020 Annual Meeting of Stockholders; Battery Day
New Date and Location
PALO ALTO, Calif., July 10, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla, Inc. (“Tesla”) announced today that its 2020 Annual Meeting of Stockholders (the “2020 Annual Meeting”) will be held in person on Tuesday, September 22, 2020, at 2:30 p.m. Pacific Time, at Tesla’s Fremont Factory located at 45500 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538. Eligible stockholders may also attend Tesla’s separate Battery Day presentation, which will be held on the same day, with additional details to be announced at a later time. No formal stockholder business will be conducted at such presentation. Tesla intends to webcast both events live.

Additional Information

Further details regarding the 2020 Annual Meeting will be provided in additional proxy materials to be filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Stockholders who have previously sent in proxies, or voted by telephone or by Internet, will be asked to submit new proxies or vote by telephone or Internet in advance of the 2020 Annual Meeting by one of the methods described in the additional proxy materials to be distributed, and such previously sent proxies or votes will not be counted. Stockholder proposals intended for inclusion in Tesla’s definitive proxy statement for the 2020 Annual Meeting pursuant to Rule 14a-8 must be received by Tesla’s Corporate Secretary at [email protected] no later than July 20, 2020 (which Tesla believes is a reasonable time before it begins to print and send its proxy materials). Tesla will continue to monitor public health and travel safety protocols required or recommended by federal, state and local governments. If necessary or advisable to protect our personnel and stockholders, we will change the date, time, location and/or format of the 2020 Annual Meeting. If we do so, we will publicly announce any such changes in advance.

Update on Tesla’s 2020 Annual Meeting of Stockholders; Battery Day | Tesla, Inc.