Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many disagree ratings with my comment when TT stormed out, I had similar feelings even if I dint post them when @KarenRei and @Fact Checking left.

I think its always a shame when infighting leads to storming out under temper, and calls of "don't let the door hit you on the way out"

Reasoned discussion takes many viewpoints. We now have one less point of view, regardless of the morality of being a day trader, long or short. That's the loss, and it bothers me that some celebrate it. He wasn't a troll, he was just in it for the money not the mission.

Ah well it takes all kinds of people to make an energy revolution.

I agree, but TT was behaving like a spoilt child, which is a shame. I think most of us here are used to his bipolar hyperbola, but he was never rude like that before. Maybe it's the stress of being filthy rich. I'm stressed with all the money I have now, the more the pot grows, the more I have to lose and yeah, it's a bit freaky.

I'm actually OK with that sudden drop - nice to get a slice of reality against the crazy ride we've been on. Also healthy to have a pull-back, even though it was clearly manufactured by short sellers triggering stop-losses.

For my part, I did buy one, yes, one share at $1575. Unfortunately I was out walking the dogs with the wife so missed the bottom of the dip and forgot I had a couple of $k sitting there doing nothing, so put it to work now.

And that share is 10x higher than what I've paid in the past, which is kinda fun too!

It's been pretty hard to "get hurt" buying TSLA as a long-term investment at any point in time since their inception. Today is the only exception if you want to take a really narrow view.

Now selling, that is a different story! There have been numerous opportunities to get burned by SELLING Tesla through their entire existence. This is why I believe in being a long (not just with TSLA but in general). Because I would rather float downstream than attempt to swim against the current!

I agree with you, but when I see the px line going straight up and the RSI indicator flashing way overbought, I sell and wait for a lower entry point. I did that in early February during the 3 day run from $550 to over $950. This last two week run from $950 to $1750 seems similar. I hope to be back in soon!

I agree with you, but when I see the px line going straight up and the RSI indicator flashing way overbought, I sell and wait for a lower entry point. I did that in early February during the 3 day run from $550 to over $950. This last two week run from $950 to $1750 seems similar. I hope to be back in soon!

It does seem similar in terms of the price action, but it's worth remembering that this time around the action is underpinned by the possibility of an explosive fundamental development.

Embarrassingly, it was! Kind of. Your answer could be no, never has been. Or it could be yes, many others have been like this. You're not dealing with an experienced investor here :)

Apologies. Take a look at the chart in this post:

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Look at the point in the chart marked by the cursor position (vertical line). Those are split-adjusted prices (so you would need to multiply the prices by something like 8X or 16X) but you will see where the price moved from the $8 range to the $13 dollar range almost overnight. This is not unusual for a growth stock that is undergoing price discovery in the market. It's not the dollar amount of the move that determines volatility, it's the percentage of the move.

This kind of volatility happens all the time and it's primarily due to the market not really understanding how to value something so dynamic. The only thing that makes Tesla stand out here is their relatively large market cap. This is a function of Elon choosing to prioritize the mission over early profits. He could have grown the business much slower (in which case TSLA would already be in the S&P at a much lower market cap. In other words, if profits had been put before growth, TSLA would be worth a lot less today but it would likely be somewhat less volatile.

Impossible to buy and hold options. I mean....you CAN....I was actually trying to.....but they got so DEEP DEEP DEEP ITM that it could not make any sense to hold. So I pay 17% more tax on some income than if I waited until next year, and I got to redeploy and make a sugar-ton more, far eclipsing that 17%.

You say that, but I bought 4x Jun 2022 $1250's a month ago for the same price of 100 shares at that time, roughly $100k. Current value is around $300k, so 3x up, compared to 60% to the stock.

Right now LEAPS are where it's at.

Barron's - 17 minutes ago: Tesla Stock Has More Than Doubled This Year. Why This Investor Is Still a Fan.

Quote of Baillie Gifford's James Anderson:

Many people thought Volkswagen [VOW3.Germany] and other car companies would prove this year that they could compete with Tesla. That hasn't happened. Tesla looks to have structural leadership of five to seven years. The company has been able to expand its growth rate and lower costs more quickly than we thought. Tesla is getting through the worst of its battery-supply constraints, as ex-Tesla employees start battery-supply companies.

Also, there is nothing remotely resembling self-satisfaction in Tesla's ambition to become vastly bigger in scale and in its impact on the world. I have never seen a company with such little complacency. With Tesla, perhaps more than any other company, predicting what the share price will do over one day or three months is a mug's game. But I am happy to be a very strong owner for the next few years.

Apologies. Take a look at the chart in this post:

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Look at the point in the chart marked by the cursor position (vertical line). Those are split-adjusted prices (so you would need to multiply the prices by something like 8X or 16X) but you will see where the price moved from the $8 range to the $13 dollar range almost overnight. This is not unusual for a growth stock that is undergoing price discovery in the market. It's not the dollar amount of the move that determines volatility, it's the percentage of the move.

This kind of volatility happens all the time and it's primarily due to the market not really understanding how to value something so dynamic. The only thing that makes Tesla stand out here is their relatively large market cap. This is a function of Elon choosing to prioritize the mission over early profits. He could have grown the business much slower (in which case TSLA would already be in the S&P at a much lower market cap. In other words, if profits had been put before growth, TSLA would be worth a lot less today but it would likely be somewhat less volatile.
Thank you for that. So the solution is simple: the market should read this forum, and then they'd be able to value TSLA easily :)

I meant legit news.

The news that I'm most concerned about involve (1) COVID's effect on the U.S. and global economies, (2) various China stuff and (3) Giga Berlin progress. The first two are most important.

Unless I forgot something, anything outside of those 3 does not matter much. If the huge drop today was due to anything else, <fart sound>. Example, as a long, the MM talk here is of no interest to me at all. That may change down the line in a few years when TSLA's approaches my sell point.

I didn't see a big drop today, I see we are $36 higher than we were before the day started. It's just noise in the bigger picture.