Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to complain about getting half a house, or "losing" this bet and getting 2-3x that amount. Though I might be a little miffed about a VW-style short squeeze :)

Psychological studies have shown that humans tend to minimize negative events that have a low likelihood of happening while over-emphasizing positive events with a similar low chance of occurring. No wonder the market makers do such brisk business with these types of options and are the prime beneficiaries in the end. Because the odds are stacked against both sides.

I've just noticed that on the Tesla website, there is zero inventory for any Tesla model in the US or Europe

I have been watching the UK inventory levels over the end of the quarter and noticed similar numbers, but it does vary.

There were 'New" S & X in inventory towards the end of the quarter, but just a handful, and they vanished after the end of June.
No new Model 3 listed. ( New seems to mean "around fifty miles or less" - basically delivery mileage )

Average of about fifteen used Model S in inventory throughout, for example eighteen today.
One or two used Model X appeared and vanished again, totals not significant. No used Model 3.

My feeling is they can shift all the new S & X inventory they can get their hands on, or maybe they aren't bringing that much in?
I expect the new Model 3 coming in are deliveries against existing orders so never appear on inventory.

The used Model S are a mixed bunch, one 2015, thirteen 2016, three 2017 and one 2018, with just one of the 2017 cars and the 2018 being either Long Range or Performance. I would have expected more 2017 high spec S & X after lease deal expiry or trade in.

(3500-1500)*4000 = 8M
4(premium)* 4000 = 16K

$8.16M profit worst case scenario ... in like < 7 days :)
if exercised, could still buy back 2200 shares at that price.

(+ I would like to think most of these are bought by MM & Shorts ... as insurance .... so more reason to fleece them in their own game)
Its 8.016M, the .016 being from the option selling. But thats also assuming whatever takes it to to $3500/share wouldn't take it higher, for instance to $4000/share. I can do that math. $496*4000 = 2M profit left on the table. Is reducing your risk on a portfolio that is worth (1500*4000) 6M by 16k really worth it. Thats why its silly to sell options for a measly .2% of the share price, doesn't matter how many shares you multiply it by. This is coming from someone who has been burned by selling "there is no way it can reach this price super low premium options" enough times to learn the lesson.

Its 8.016M, the .016 being from the option selling. But thats also assuming whatever takes it to to $3500/share wouldn't take it higher, for instance to $4000/share. I can do that math. $496*4000 = 2M profit left on the table. Is reducing your risk on a portfolio that is worth (1500*4000) 6M by 16k really worth it. Thats why its silly to sell options for a measly .2% of the share price, doesn't matter how many shares you multiply it by. This is coming from someone who has been burned by selling "there is no way it can reach this price super low premium options" enough times to learn the lesson.

SP goin up by 100% b/w now and CC? I would say it would be in super overbought territory.
I have Calls at lower strikes, but that is the risk I am taking.

(+ there is always option to roll too)

I do get your point though. ..

I just doubled my BTC!! It's real!! /s
upload_2020-7-15_13-23-13.png

SP goin up by 100% b/w now and CC? I would say it would be in super overbought territory.
I have Calls at lower strikes, but that is the risk I am taking.

(+ there is always option to roll too)

I do get your point though. ..

I think a better way to think of it is, do I wait for a $4 drop in share price to "buy the dip;" do I wake up every morning hoping the shares go up by $4; would I be willing to miss a part of a short squeeze, s and p 500 inclusion burst, announcing both a texas and tulsa and chonging factory all at the same time, to save $4? The answer to all of those is no. Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree about selling covered calls but if I am going to do it I want to get paid for the risk that I am taking. 99 times out of 100 I can outrun a steam roller, but the time I do trip, I want my family to have more than 30 cents to show for my death. Picking up $10 bills in front a steam roller, we can at least begin to consider it, which is what is sounds like you are doing.

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari