Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Gali is mates with Elon and retail investors of this type will be stable HODLers. Here's hoping anyway. Gali - pull yer finger out.

the other issue is you either need to be a qualified purchaser or at minimum an accredited investor

in the least detailed and most generic terms a QP should be worth ~5mm and an AI ~1mm

i noticed the forge site said AI on it

but a recent sharespost SpaceX window demanded you be a QP

I would argue that the date for S&P 500 inclusion should be back solved. Rather than trying to apply the S&P 500 rules and standard practices to the question; we should simply ask what the most opportune price and date/time for the MMs is.

As I’ve aged, my cynicism has fully developed.
Cynicism? Sounds like realism to me.

i heard he was trying to get a consortium together to get enough $ raised in order to get in on one of these rounds. i assume they’d form llc or some type of partnership.

many of these sites, sharespost, equity zen, forge still have minimums of 1mm, 500k, 250k, 2mm..just like investment banks do when they let some of their whales into any spacex round

depends on timing, demand, and their chunk of the pie. so it’s not like you can just sign up and immediately invest in spacex. you need an open window and then the minimum to do it.
Yup. I missed the last one SharesPost had. Waiting on a new one and I'm hearing 250k is the likely minimum. I wish Gali well but I don't think this idea is fully formed (at least what he has shared).

I wanted to ask some feedback on a trading strategy.

I live in Europe, so trading options for TSLA from my local bank is not possible.
I am contemplating opening account with some of the outlets that support trading for non US citizens, but untill then I decided to try something different.
It is inspired by the ARK fund - from what I have heard they have a requirement where they can not own more than 10% of the fund's equity value in any stock (or maybe it was only for TSLA). This has the built in feature that if TSLA goes up (compared to the rest of the assets in the fund) they need to sell and if it goes down they can re-buy on lower price.

In my local bank there is a warrant product that is tracking TSLA roughly 3x. So if TSLA goes up 1% the products goes up 3%.
The trading in this product is free - there are no trading fees.
So I dedicated approx. $20000 and bought stock for that amount deciding that this is what I want to have in that stock.
If the value of the stock I have goes above $21500 I sell so the value of is back to $20k. If the value goes down to $18500 I buy to get to the $20k.
So far (in the $1430-$1550 range) it has been going good... but of course there are some risks. I am trying to find out more about risk/reward of such system, especially long tail (or wipe out) effects. Or a way to simulate this for longer period of time.

I can not find what is this called - I found about value averaging, but it is not the same.

Any links/info/help would be appreciated.

I was just thinking that there are a LOT of newly minted Teslanaires recently looking for somewhere to put their money. SpaceX is going to become the world’s first crowded private equity trade soon judging from how many of us are looking for a way to put some of our TSLA gains into SpaceX.

If I were Elon, I would be thinking about doing another round of funding for SpaceX soon, Series M closed in May and Series N has not yet been announced. But if he wanted to get some of his loyal TSLA investors in, he could conceivably do a special round and specifically open it to investors looking to get in through SPV’s facilitated by the likes of Forge and EquityZen.
Frankly, investing in non public companies through SPVs Is a spectacularly bad idea for people who are not very experienced and deep pocketed investors. The fees alone typically eat >10% of invested amount and annual fees generally are ~5%. Bluntly, the only likely profitable out is an IPO, and that is uncertain because there is poor disclosure of liquidation terms. Please, p,ease read all the fine print!

Doing this for a small amount to give bragging rights might make sense if one wants to brag about such things. The problem is that small amounts are very hard to find.

Sooner or later we’ll probably see an IPO for Starlink, so it has been said. I would most likely buy into that IPO.

Cynicism? Sounds like realism to me.

Yup. I missed the last one SharesPost had. Waiting on a new one and I'm hearing 250k is the likely minimum. I wish Gali well but I don't think this idea is fully formed (at least what he has shared).

i heard 250 as well but it was more likely 500 or more in the end..or it just filled so quickly that many of those willing to do the 250 didn’t make the cut

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Frankly, investing in non public companies through SPVs Is a spectacularly bad idea for people who are not very experienced and deep pocketed investors. The fees alone typically eat >10% of invested amount and annual fees generally are ~5%. Bluntly, the only likely profitable out is an IPO, and that is uncertain because there is poor disclosure of liquidation terms. Please, p,ease read all the fine print!

Doing this for a small amount to give bragging rights might make sense if one wants to brag about such things. The problem is that small amounts are very hard to find.

Sooner or later we’ll probably see an IPO for Starlink, so it has been said. I would most likely buy into that IPO.

stressing “read all the fine print!

I am interested into investing in spaceX.
Have you created a forge account?

That IPO would be Starlink specific. SpaceX itself would still be private.
The fees are high.
The valuation is rich and includes Starlink as a successful business model.
The investment is illiquid at best. Certainly if something bad happens with the company you will only be able to unload at vulture prices.

But if you truly believe this is a must own, then you don’t have other options. The money you invest should have an unshakable ten year horizon for best results. Complete loss is always a possibility, though probably no more than your average 40B market cap company.

Reactions: EinSV and jbcarioca

I think this means "DON'T DO IT".

ed7bd0757b36cdc6ff1fda9fce645b4c--phil-connors-bill-murray.jpg

the other issue is you either need to be a qualified purchaser or at minimum an accredited investor

in the least detailed and most generic terms a QP should be worth ~5mm and an AI ~1mm

i noticed the forge site said AI on it

but a recent sharespost SpaceX window demanded you be a QP
If your income is > 200k you can be qualified as an AI also.

Last time around I was offered in at 200k but Sharespost guy screwed up and didn't tell me that there was a strict deadline. I needed more than a couple days to pull the cash together.

I wanted to ask some feedback on a trading strategy.

I live in Europe, so trading options for TSLA from my local bank is not possible.
I am contemplating opening account with some of the outlets that support trading for non US citizens, but untill then I decided to try something different.
It is inspired by the ARK fund - from what I have heard they have a requirement where they can not own more than 10% of the fund's equity value in any stock (or maybe it was only for TSLA). This has the built in feature that if TSLA goes up (compared to the rest of the assets in the fund) they need to sell and if it goes down they can re-buy on lower price.

In my local bank there is a warrant product that is tracking TSLA roughly 3x. So if TSLA goes up 1% the products goes up 3%.
The trading in this product is free - there are no trading fees.
So I dedicated approx. $20000 and bought stock for that amount deciding that this is what I want to have in that stock.
If the value of the stock I have goes above $21500 I sell so the value of is back to $20k. If the value goes down to $18500 I buy to get to the $20k.
So far (in the $1430-$1550 range) it has been going good... but of course there are some risks. I am trying to find out more about risk/reward of such system, especially long tail (or wipe out) effects. Or a way to simulate this for longer period of time.

I can not find what is this called - I found about value averaging, but it is not the same.

Any links/info/help would be appreciated.

If that product is a 3x certificate - where it follows tsla up and down with a 3x multiplier - tsla volatility will pretty much make it worthless in the long run.

It's still a diesel, so, yeah. Might even have to cheat harder depending on what their emissions control strategy was, due to the starting and stopping.
OT, how did diesel ever make it to cars at all? It's worse than a blown oil ring (which took the life of my college Cutlass Olds gas car after many attepts to coast a lot). Diesel sounds German, so I looked it up... yup. Thanks Rudolph, time to turn the page.