Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another landing by Falcon 9
upload_2020-8-6_22-21-19.png

If I read this article well Trump may just have (inadvertently?) forced Tencent to disinvest its US assets within 45 days. I believe they own 5% of TSLA.

Trump’s ban against WeChat owner Tencent could have huge implications for U.S. companies

I cannot imagine that he has some voters left. You must be ready for hospitalization if you will still vote for this guy. He certainly has no f####ing clue what he is doing.

this will have impact on Tesla, if Tencent decides to sell the shares. But I expect this will be a large court case and I cannot Imagine tha China allows this.

the worst president ever is really an understatement....

Failed the purity test eh? You’d rather investors were not aware of a wide range of information, even the occasional FUD, that might be swirling around out in the marketplace, information that, again, however bogus, might move markets, impede Tesla’s mission, and/or influence the public?

From time to time I’m going to keep on sharing items in this thread (one that is already 9,410 pages long), things I see and hear that might be of interest to even a mere handful of participants here. I would suggest you go right ahead and ignore, if the very thought of that makes you uncomfortable.

Always welcome to see the opposing point-of-view, but Russ Mitchell is a $TSLAQ sympathiser who donated money to Aaron Greenspan - yes the one currently in court trying to sue Elon and a range of other defendants from Twitter.

Russ Mitchell consistently posts FUD regarding Tesla.

Russ Mitchell was urging the Alameda County Sheriff to close Fremont at the beginning of the pandemic.

So while opposing views are OK, BS is not, and Russ Mitchell posts BS, nothing he writes has any validity.

Lyriq design is better than I expected. Looks like a Rivian. Name is awkward I guess but at least it's not just E-(insert old brand name here). The sliding charging door is stupid. Specs are just ok, will be pretty crap in 2022 when this comes out.

But as some of us are inclined to believe, advertising spent on legacy EVs will help boost Tesla as well.

Seems like an ideal car to store at the airport or marina while out enjoying the toy. Just plug it in and it's full when you get back. No muss no fuss. I don't own an airplane or a boat though so just speculating.

They should have called it the:

Cadillac E-dorado or E-calade

I can only imagine that S&P committee are TSLA shareholders. They are clearly waiting for battery day. That way, the squeeze will be squeezier. Just 6 weeks more to endure people...

Why voted Funny?
I like the idea that individuals are part of the comittee and they might all have a personal agenda or preference for outcome for themselfes. If some/most are indeed TSLA owners it's not too far off that a decission is influenced by the preference of those TSLA holders.

I actually love the idea :)

Any chance of China retaliating against Tesla as payback for Trump going after them on Tik tok / etc ?

I sure hope not.

About zero chance. China sees Musk as the most innovative person of our generation. They welcome his presence in China as much as possible to learn or to steal, either way they need him.

Another model to consider on potential SP over the next 5-10 years.

mmm... interesting and not totally insane, but a lot of assumptions seem to be too optimistic. Growth will level off to 30, 20% in the future. PE of 30 ? Let‘s be realistic, once TESLA reaches that kind of size PE will be lower. Pods as the mayor way of travelling ? I don‘t think so. But still an interesting video, ARK‘s 20k SP in 2030 makes a lot of sense.

mmm... interesting and not totally insane, but a lot of assumptions seem to be too optimistic. Growth will level off to 30, 20% in the future. PE of 30 ? Let‘s be realistic, once TESLA reaches that kind of size PE will be lower. Pods as the mayor way of travelling ? I don‘t think so. But still an interesting video, ARK‘s 20k SP in 2030 makes a lot of sense.

Also he is using GM to calculate PE and not operating margins? The assumption is zero spent on capex or something.

Reactions: kbM3 and farzyness
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the current trade war/financial cold war moves made by the US administration will eventually have consequences for Tesla's operations in China. This has been on my mind for a few months, but the latest step of forcing Tencent to divest moves it a step closer to being a likely counterplay.

I don't think this is an existential risk to Tesla at this point, due to their strong balance sheet. But if it does happen, the share price is going to get hammered. Tesla will effectively have lost a year and lose a lot of valuable institutional manufacturing knowledge if they are somehow constricted or forced out of their China operations.

Don't know if politics belongs in this thread, but being from a country that is completely at China's mercy when it comes to politics, I'm actually glad to see the US standing up to the Chinese Communist party's flexing. I'm not at all comfortable with the CCP extending their totalitarian policies worldwide, and the United States is really the only viable balancing force. Even if it's painful, it's worth a lot of sacrifice to curtail the CCP's power. The biggest mistake from the United States leadership was to not start adapting their strategy on that front years ago.

Just sucks big time if Tesla is caught in the middle of that fight. They're honestly in a bit of a precarious position right now, to my eye.

If I read this article well Trump may just have (inadvertently?) forced Tencent to disinvest its US assets within 45 days. I believe they own 5% of TSLA.

Trump’s ban against WeChat owner Tencent could have huge implications for U.S. companies

Tencent having a 5% stake in TSLA was a looooong time ago. They held a little over 8M shares in 2017, but most likely sold some time in 2018, because Tencent did not file a new 13G filing with the SEC in early 2019.

Only way that Tencent could still hold TSLA is if due to dilution its stake dropped enough under 5% that they don't have to file a 13G anymore. I'm not sure about the exact 13G rules. If anybody knows more, please do share.

EDIT: After a little bit of digging, it seems like we can't rule out Tencent still holding up to 4.99% of Tesla, just as we can't rule out Toshiba or LG Chem owning up to 4.99% of Tesla, but they wouldn't definitely had to file another 13G in early 2019 and early 2020 if they had still owned 5% or more.

Last edited:
Tencent having a 5% stake in TSLA was a looooong time ago. They held a little over 8M shares in 2017, but most likely sold some time in 2018, because Tencent did not file a new 13G filing with the SEC in early 2019.

Only way that Tencent could still hold TSLA is if due to dilution its stake dropped enough under 5% that they don't have to file a 13G anymore. I'm not sure about the exact 13G rules. If anybody knows more, please do share.

I was just about to post this. I think the requirement to file 13G is for anything above 5%. I could not find any links to indicate that they sold any shares.

Also, if there are no changes there is no annual requirement to file 13G based on this text from SEC. All of this is probably confirmation that they are still holding the original stake?

https://www.sec.gov/interps/telephone/cftelinterps_reg13d-13g.pdf

CDE79C18-D9AC-4710-A288-B736EE692BF2.jpeg