Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Z
Human drivers are morons. There were 1.35 million road traffic deaths globally in 2016

Source: Road traffic deaths

Even if AI was only as good as an average driver, that would be a huge gain. AI doesn't get drunk. AI doesn't see a pretty girl jogging. AI doesn't get distracted by a phone call, or a bee. AI isn't exhausted from being up late. Also, as we reach critical mass of AI drivers, then the cumulative safety gains would build off each other. When 1 human drives defensively, it's not uncommon for other humans around to drive offensively to overtake or merge. 2 AIs wouldn't have that issue.
Depends... The Machine or Samaritan? The Machine would use available data to identify potential difficulties and aid the driver in avoiding them, while Samaritan would just ban all human driving.

Sorry, wrong forum... I get confused after watching POI to fall asleep on Sunday nights.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Z

Depends... The Machine or Samaritan? The Machine would use available data to identify potential difficulties and aid the driver in avoiding them, while Samaritan would just ban all human driving.

Sorry, wrong forum... I get confused after watching POI to fall asleep on Sunday nights.
"fall asleep on Sunday nights?" Thought POI was for sleeping during the days! Oh wait....that must be House M.D. for the daytime viewing :) :)

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
I believe Elon was comparing factory efficiency to chip efficiency. He spoke of increasing chip efficiency as measured in production (computations) per unit volume. I don't see any real value in measuring a factory by that metric. Stacking machines on top of one another doesn't sound like the best way to gain an increase in productivity per dollar invested.

Land is bought in units of area. Stacking saves land and therefore cost.
Moving parts vertically 20 feet vs horizontally hundreds is more efficient.
Giga Berlin is multi story with sub components assembled above the main line.
Giga Shanghai Phase 2 may even have stacked GA lines.

Better to build one factory twice as tall than two factories side by side.

Bloomberg: Uber, Lyft Must Convert Drivers to Employees, Judge Rules

Uber, Lyft Must Convert Drivers Into Employees, Judge Rules

The article states the court battle isn't over yet, but will be interesting to see where this finally ends. Would have an impact for any company getting into the ride-hailing business, including Tesla, especially if Tesla Network is structured similar to Uber/Lyft.

Fewer days than that to S and P 500 inclusion. (From what I’ve read).

Reading a lot of comments that suggest people are forgetting that inclusion happens any day now. A falling stock price suggests sellers are suffering amnesia.

Re Rob Maurer's video on the SP500, anything between 10 and 90 days is totally within the realm of normal for inclusion after meeting the requirements. Average being around 43 if I recall. Repost for those that missed it -
So we've likely got a month before it happens.

Human drivers are morons. There were 1.35 million road traffic deaths globally in 2016

Even if AI was only as good as an average driver, that would be a huge gain. AI doesn't get drunk. AI doesn't see a pretty girl jogging. AI doesn't get distracted by a phone call, or a bee. AI isn't exhausted from being up late. Also, as we reach critical mass of AI drivers, then the cumulative safety gains would build off each other. When 1 human drives defensively, it's not uncommon for other humans around to drive offensively to overtake or merge. 2 AIs wouldn't have that issue.

I will one up you and state that if the AI were a bad driver, yet one that always paid attention obviously, it would still be a step up from what we have now on average, just from the lack of distracted driving. I mean a five percent improvement would be a football stadium full of people every year....

I eagerly await widespread below average AI drivers!

Quick note to the guy who thinks Tesla overpaid for the Austin land... apparently that's the cheapest per acre Tesla has gotten land for any of its 3 recent factories.

Tesla received a killer deal for Giga Texas

Giga Shanghai? $652,214 per acre.

Giga Berlin? $64,860 per acre.

Austin? A mere $46,190 per acre.

Seems Tesla land costs are steadily DECREASING- good for share price :)
Dad Gum! I wish I could sell some land to Elon.
I wonder if you have any data that gives the average price/acre for "industrial land" for those areas.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
Bloomberg: Uber, Lyft Must Convert Drivers to Employees, Judge Rules

Uber, Lyft Must Convert Drivers Into Employees, Judge Rules

The article states the court battle isn't over yet, but will be interesting to see where this finally ends. Would have an impact for any company getting into the ride-hailing business, including Tesla, especially if Tesla Network is structured similar to Uber/Lyft.
Yes. That would be terrible if Tesla were required to treat the RT drivers as employees instead of contractors! (oops, what drivers?)

Dad Gum! I wish I could sell some land to Elon.
I wonder if you have any data that gives the average price/acre for "industrial land" for those areas.
I'm not sure it really makes sense to talk about "average price/acre" because there is just too much variation. For example, I found three undeveloped properties in Travis county that give a whopping spread of $15k/acre to $107k/acre. Real estate valuation will vary with expected value after development, which is why the one is so high. But lots of things figure into that, including location, shape, condition, and I don't know what all. So you can't really say that one lot is over priced (or under priced) compared to another simply by comparing to an average. You have to account for the specifics of each one.

1) Austin, TX Commercial Land for Sale - 9 Listings | Land and Farm

Actually the new Polestar 2 uses the new Android Automotive OS, which seems really good. I’ve seen reviewers claiming they prefer it to Tesla’s. This is one area where I am most afraid of competition actually...
Suggest you don't state your location as Sweden when saying something like this. Otherwise, the entire board would have agreed with you - probably...
Giga Nevada is 25 minutes from Reno, a city of a quarter million people.
Elon should change the manufacturing robot GUI to this to improve productivity:
upload_2020-8-10_22-6-11.jpeg

SH!T? Now you have me worried. If we can't kill the idiots with cars what will the world become!

• Funny
Reactions: wipster