Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as I saw the word “concern” and “Robotaxi” both appearing in the same opening sentence I knew you were in for some Disagrees. TMC can be an unreceptive place to anyone who dares to not stick to the perfect vision of glitch-free execution and untold wealth from the resulting trillion-plus valuation once the robos roll out. Just understand that there are others out here who agree with you that the rollout may very well be fraught with challenges and many if not most will be non-technology-related, and therefore boring to technologists in the company, and therefore likely to be overlooked by the company. I dare not say more.

If people are skeptical about Robo-taxis, they can just omit them from their valuation.

Overall Tesla is hard to value, and the Robo-taxi area is one of the harder areas.

IMO the current share price is largely independent of any valuation of Robo-taxis, mostly does not factor in Tesla Energy and a bunch of other stuff Tesla may be doing..

If people are posting overly rosy future price projections based on optimistic assumptions about Robo-taxi revenue and margins, I would question that. But leaving out Robo-taxis altogether the future of Tesla still looks bright.

Tesla and Elon are not above criticism, but at present I'm finding it hard to find any area where I am sure they are doing anything significant wrong. By significant, I mean more than a rounding error on future earnings..

Elon may perhaps be overly optimistic about the amount of money a Robo-taxi can make. But that is impossible to predict, we don't know the likely level of competition.

Last edited:
DUDE! BRING IT!
Smart watch opens car. that all it needs to do and I'd buy one. PERIOD.
And no, I am not overstating this one simple aspect. You have your phone battery die. Now how the hell are you going to get home? Or lose your phone, or it breaks. IT DOES NOT MATTER.
Now I am going to make a quantum leap, and skip over all the other obvious connectivity benefits of having your car know you and your watch....
Neural link. Your watch is a bridge between the two. Everything from the simple "The Movie has ended time to leave" thought causing the climate control to come on without you consciously thinking "Tesla turn on the AC in the car." To the ultimate in saving your life...you lose consciousness in the car so it reroutes you to the ER.
OnStar for the future..and BEYOND!!!!!
The Tesla Remote app on my watch does most of that now.

I switched from selling weakly covered calls on the 200 shares I picked up recently (at around 1400/share) to selling 2 covered calls after market opened today for early September, 1500 strike. If S&P inclusion really doesn't happen for a couple weeks, I see us slowly drifting down every week, so I locked in $15,400 in profits. I would not be surprised to see the SP at 1200 in a couple weeks. I might pick up more shares at that point. The market doesn't seem to be aware of all the good news discussed here, which is why I think it is going to continue to slide, and give us a better buying opportunity.

As soon as I saw the word “concern” and “Robotaxi” both appearing in the same opening sentence I knew you were in for some Disagrees. TMC can be an unreceptive place to anyone who dares to not stick to the perfect vision of glitch-free execution and untold wealth from the resulting trillion-plus valuation once the robos roll out. Just understand that there are others out here who agree with you that the rollout may very well be fraught with challenges and many if not most will be non-technology-related, and therefore boring to technologists in the company, and therefore likely to be overlooked by the company. I dare not say more.
Let me just say that this forum is very biased; it leans heavily toward solutions and possibilities. It views issues as hurdles to be crossed, not as risks to shy from.
Is it healthy? Only time will tell. Maybe TSLA will go to zero the year 2028 as Oprah goes down in flame in an RT, driving through a riot she helps organize herself. But, let's not deny the fact that this is precisely this mentality that gathered us here as TSLA investors.

Last edited:
I switched from selling weakly covered calls on the 200 shares I picked up recently (at around 1400/share) to selling 2 covered calls after market opened today for early September, 1500 strike. If S&P inclusion really doesn't happen for a couple weeks, I see us slowly drifting down every week, so I locked in $15,400 in profits. I would not be surprised to see the SP at 1200 in a couple weeks. I might pick up more shares at that point. The market doesn't seem to be aware of all the good news discussed here, which is why I think it is going to continue to slide, and give us a better buying opportunity.

Judging from your reliable history of predicting the opposite in the past, thank you for your service.

After-action Report: Mon, Aug 10, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "OGIM (Groundhog Monday)"

Traded: $10,756,732,506.13 ($10.76 B)​
Volume: 7,576,848
VWAP: $1,419.68

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.92%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $264.368B / $182.991B = 144.47%

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $279.45
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $168.42
Nota Bene: Elon's CEO comp. plan 2nd tranche vested July 24, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 47.1% (47th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 41.3% (44th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.84% of Short Volume (47th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-08-10.png

Comment: "MMs mine the Market's addiction to fossil FUD."

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Last edited:

:rolleyes:

The real question is who is paying these legal fees. Elon does not settle cases. He takes them all the way to the end and it costs a lot of money. This person suing has to prove some kind of harm done.... not simply a friend laughed when they saw the tweet.
Quite possibly, Elon is.

From the 10Q
In June 2020, our CEO entered into an indemnification agreement with us, for an interim term of 90 days. During the interim term, we are resuming our annual evaluation of all available options for providing directors’ and officers’ indemnity coverage, which we had suspended during the height of shelter-in-place requirements related to the COVID-19 pandemic. As part of such process, we intend to obtain a binding market quote for a directors’ and officers’ liability insurance policy with an aggregate coverage limit of $100 million, which we will weigh in selecting an indemnity coverage option for a customary term following the end of the interim period.

The indemnification agreement provides that our CEO will provide, from his personal funds, directors’ and officers’ indemnity coverage to us during the interim term in the event such coverage is not indemnifiable by us, up to a total of $100 million. In return, we will pay our CEO a one-time fee of $972,361. We will also exercise reasonable best efforts to obtain the market quote described above, and will pay an additional amount to our CEO to reconcile the one-time fee to be equalto the market-based premium for such market quote as prorated for 90 days and further discounted by 50%, if the latter amount is greater.
In the same vein, also from the 10Q.
Securities Litigation
Relating to the SolarCity Acquisition Between September 1, 2016 and October 5, 2016, seven lawsuits were filed in the Delaware Court of Chancery by purported stockholders of Tesla challenging our acquisition of SolarCity. Following consolidation, the lawsuit names as defendants the members of Tesla’s board of directors as then constituted and alleges, among other things, that board members breached their fiduciary duties in connection with the acquisition. The complaint asserts both derivative claims and direct claims on behalf of a purported class and seeks, among other relief, unspecified monetary damages, attorneys’ fees, and costs. On January 27, 2017, defendants filed a motion to dismiss the operative complaint. Rather than respond to the defendants’ motion, the plaintiffs filed an amended complaint. On March 17, 2017, defendants filed a motion to dismiss the amended complaint. On December 13, 2017, the Court heard oral argument on the motion. On March 28, 2018, the Court denied defendants’ motion to dismiss. Defendants filed a request for interlocutory appeal, and the Delaware Supreme Court denied that request without ruling on the merits but electing not to hear an appeal at this early stage of the case. Defendants filed their answer on May 18, 2018, and mediations were held on June 10, 2019. Plaintiffs and defendants filed respective motions for summary judgment on August 25, 2019, and further mediations were held on October 3, 2019. The Court held a hearing on the motions for summary judgment on November 4, 2019. On January 22, 2020, all of the director defendants except Elon Musk reached a settlement to resolve the lawsuit against them for an amount that would be paid entirely under the applicable insurance policy. The settlement, which does not involve an admission of any wrongdoing by any party , is subject to approval by the Court, and a fairness hearing is set for August if the settlement is approved by the Court. 2 7, 2020. Tesla will receive such amount, which would be recognized as a gain in its financial statements, On February 4, 2020, the Court issued a ruling that denied plaintiffs’ previously-filed motion and granted in part and denied in part defendants’ previously-filed motion. Fact and expert discovery is complete, and the case was set for trial in March 2020 until it was postponed by the Court due to safety precautions concerning COVID-19 . The measures implemented by the Court . current tentative dates for the trial are from March 29 to April 12, 2021, subject to change based on any further safety

These plaintiffs and others filed parallel actions in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware on or about April 21, 2017. They include claims for violations of the federal securities laws and breach of fiduciary duties by Tesla’s board of directors. Those actions have been consolidated and stayed pending the abovereferenced Chancery Court litigation.

We believe that claims challenging the SolarCity acquisition are without merit and intend to defend against them vigorously. We are unable to estimate the possible loss or range of loss, if any, associated with these claims.

• Funny
Reactions: davecolene0606
The real question is who is paying these legal fees. Elon does not settle cases. He takes them all the way to the end and it costs a lot of money. This person suing has to prove some kind of harm done.... not simply a friend laughed when they saw the tweet.

But, he was SO embarrassed when his friend laughed.

I do think Elon is just distracting everyone with the promise of FSD, while building the manufacturing systems to transition humanity to a full electric society.

So, keep focusing on how much money FSD will bring in or not, while the other things are happening. People/corporations that stand to loose the most in this transition will not see it coming, “cause them full self driving cars are NEVER gonna happen boys, we are safe!” :rolleyes:

I hope that this time Elon makes these people (and their backers) pay for his legal fees too once he wins these ridiculous cases that are a waste of everybody's time.

With the way this is being forced down on low volume I think: 1 - They have taken the FOMO out with the side. 2 - Lowered the SP significantly from the ATH. 3 - The price is not going into free-fall. This leads me to believe that the S&P decision will come out today or Wednesday.
Lol, if I had a nickel every time I heard that, I'd have a mine... :p

Instead, I think S&P delays while the SP rides the Lower-BB to intercept the 50 Day MA. Trying to get a better price for the inevitable rush to buy in. Wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the rebalancing meeting in Sep since this is going to cause a big shake up with lots of buys and sells of other large Caps.

sc.TSLA..Lowre-BBto50-DMA.2020-08-10.png

The 50-Day Moving Avg will climb to about $1,320 by early next week, possibly meeting the Lower-BB.

There's likely to be strong support there, yet it's a long way to the River. The Committee can delay an arbitary amount of time while MMs play their games, and big Funds hold a lot of sway on Wall Street...

Not Advice.

Lol, if I had a nickel every time I heard that, I'd have a mine... :p

Instead, I think S&P delays while the SP rides the Lower-BB to intercept the 50 Day MA. Trying to get a better price for the inevitable rush to buy in. Wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the rebalancing meeting in Sep since this is going to cause a big shake up with lots of buys and sells of other large Caps.

View attachment 574688
The 50-Day Moving Avg will climb to about $1,320 by early next week, possibly meeting the Lower-BB.

There's likely to be strong support there, yet it's a long way to the River. The Committee can delay an arbitary amount of time while MMs play their games, and big Funds hold a lot of sway on Wall Street...

Not Advice.

Well stated, and quite in line with what I have been thinking. Considering what a disruptive (pun intended) addition Tesla would be to the S&P 500, the selection committee may indeed be wise to wait until the quarterly rebalancing. That is scheduled for September 18, and such timing could take advantage of Battery Day occurring 4 (2 business) days later.

September 22 is also the date for the Tesla shareholder meeting, at which time it might be decided to split the shares. That would be needed for consideration of Tesla in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which has been without an automaker since the GM bankruptcy 11 years ago. I would not be at all surprised if inclusion in the S&P 500 is soon followed by entry to the DJIA. :cool:

Let me just say that this forum is very biased; it leans heavily toward solutions and possibilities. It views issues as hurdles to be crossed, not as risks to shy from.
Is it healthy? Only time will tell. Maybe TSLA will go to zero the year 2028 as Oprah goes down in flame in an RT, driving through a riot she helps organize herself. But, let's not deny the fact that this is precisely this mentality that gathered us here as TSLA investors.
You mean Ron Barron is not right?

Reactions: CLK350
Well stated, and quite in line with what I have been thinking. Considering what a disruptive (pun intended) addition Tesla would be to the S&P 500, the selection committee may indeed be wise to wait until the quarterly rebalancing. That is scheduled for September 18, and such timing could take advantage of Battery Day occurring 4 (2 business) days later.

September 22 is also the date for the Tesla shareholder meeting, at which time it might be decided to split the shares. That would be needed for consideration of Tesla in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which has been without an automaker since the GM bankruptcy 11 years ago. I would not be at all surprised if inclusion in the S&P 500 is soon followed by entry to the DJIA. :cool:

Many thanks for the insight (both you & Dodger's).

...and may I remind everyone that the short shorts have been delayed until Fall. ;)

I think I need to hunt for some dry powder for the last TSLA "on-sale" prices of 2020. :cool:

Human drivers are morons. There were 1.35 million road traffic deaths globally in 2016

Source: Road traffic deaths

Even if AI was only as good as an average driver, that would be a huge gain. AI doesn't get drunk. AI doesn't see a pretty girl jogging. AI doesn't get distracted by a phone call, or a bee. AI isn't exhausted from being up late. Also, as we reach critical mass of AI drivers, then the cumulative safety gains would build off each other. When 1 human drives defensively, it's not uncommon for other humans around to drive offensively to overtake or merge. 2 AIs wouldn't have that issue.

I’ve been riding motorcycles for just shy of fifty years. The thing about motorcycles is field of vision — a rider takes in exponentially more than anyone driving a car. Riding my bike, gave me a perfect view into the cars in the adjacent lanes. A birds-eye view of texting and cell phone obsession. Distracted driving is an epidemic, a plague on safe driving.

Ask any biker.

Autonomous driving versus distracted driving; the evidence will overwhelmingly support autonomous driving.