Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, where's an image of a member reading TMC overlooking an infinity pool filled with scantily-clad guests (sex of your choice).

Why did you have to say sex of your choice? My head automatically started thinking of how to make a funny response to this and it completely backfired.

I thought something having to do with tslaq would be funny and then automatically got imagery of scantily clad tslaq.... ugh. :(

Last edited:
Why did you have to say sex of your choice? My head automatically started thinking of how to make a funny response to this and it completely backfired.

I thought something having to do with tslaq would be funny and then automatically got imagery of scantily clad tslaq.... ugh. :(
Sorry, man. Still work for the Government. Political Correctness installed via Neuralink.

edit: in for group buy over Zoom.

Today I was researching dishwashers so I re-joined Consumer Reports using this $26/year discount link:

Add To Cart
(I used a one-time Virtual Account Number from citi.com so when they try to auto-bill next year it will auto-fail lol)

The first thing I did was click thru their online vehicle survey about my 2018 Model 3 experience. $0 maintenance, etc. gave everything 100% positives. If a lot of TSLA & car owners did this, it would help Tesla in their CR rankings. This are the people that claimed "the controls are confusing" in their review. They are working on a review of Model Y that is not published yet.

One of my contracts was for Fujitsu Network Transmission Systems (fiber) in San Jose, CA. Most of the stuff I did was database-related or real-time.

Ridgewood, NJ, High School circa 1976-1977:

View attachment 575969

We had something called "Computer Aides" I was a part of also but I have no recollection of what that was for or what we did...

Maybe I should look these people up on LinkedIn? Now I'm curious where they ended-up and what they did with their very early programming skills if anything.

In my retirement accounts, the 5-1 split is good for me personally because I have several Roths maxed with TSLA and each has some $$ < TSLA's current share price in it. As soon as it splits, I can put those funds to work and sell the corresponding 1/5th split shares in a 401K account that is taxable if withdrawn and will have those nasty annual RMDs (Required Minimum Distributions) when I turn 70. The 401K has other slower growth high tech stonks and a diverse portfolio of dividend-paying REITs. Many (like SPG and EPR) are depressed share-price wise now, but once there is a working COVID-19 vaccination and the economy is "just" in a recession instead of a depression, they will return to pre-COVID-19 levels IMHO. I'm lucky that all of my REITs have a lot of cash on hand to survive their business interruptions/declines until that happens I expect sometime in 2021.
OT but I highly recommend Bosch dishwashers. Not an advise. ;)

Just because so many people here seem to think the wording of Tesla's stock split announcement is unusual, I looked up a few other stock split announcements. I found that Tesla's announcement looks very similar to every other such announcement. For example, here is Netflix from 2015:

LOS GATOS, Calif., June 23, 2015 - Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) announced today that its Board of Directors has approved a seven-for-one stock split to be effected in the form of a stock dividend of six additional shares of common stock for each outstanding share of common stock. The stock dividend will be payable on July 14, 2015 to stockholders of record at the close of business on July 2, 2015. The new shares will be delivered by Netflix’s transfer agent Computershare Trust Company.
Netflix stock will begin trading regular way at the post-split price on July 15, 2015. Any shares purchased between the July 2, 2015 record date and the July 14, 2015 payment date will come with a "due-bill" entitling the buyer to six additional shares for each share purchased.​

Note that the word dividend is used. Also, there is a gap between the record date and when the stock begins trading at the post-split price, and they went through the trouble of explaining how that is handled.

Were the NFLX shorts caught in some weird legal predicament where they had to instantly pay back not-yet-available post-split shares? Were there weird tax consequences for any of our international members? Surely some people on this board held NFLX in 2015.

I used to work for a subsidiary of GM. One of the big cultural problems with GM was that they went to great lengths to make managers and employees only drive GM vehicles. The downside to that is that the culture thought they built the best cars on the planet. They had little idea how competitors were delivering better products.

Not sure if Milton is a actually trying to make cars.
Sorry, that was meant to be a slam on Milton not you.

Wouldn't these have already been called away? It hit $1,650 today. I didn't realize the strike price only mattered on expiration day. I've always bought mine back before expiration as they generally popped more than 50% in the first week or two..
I am constantly amazed at the huge number of people fooling around with options who don't have any idea how they work. Gratuitous stupidity.

You should just give away your money to a worthy cause right now rather than losing it all.

I am constantly amazed at the huge number of people fooling around with options who don't have any idea how they work. Gratuitous stupidity.

You should just give away your money to a worthy cause right now rather than losing it all.
Well I mean if you just buy puts and calls the most you can lose is 100%. That's not really bad in the grand scheme of things.

It's losing 500% when you sell a naked call on TSLA that will murder your portfolio. I was watching people on r/wallstreetbets selling calls during the run from 300 to 900 earlier this year and wondering what the hell they were doing. I don't care how amazing the premium looks, you don't sell calls when a stock is on a trajectory to escape Earth orbit!

Thanks for all the suggestions...here’s hoping for a dip in the morning. And yeah the call option is still in my account (Ameritrade). I was expecting it to get called away when the stock hit $1650 today. I’m told they typically go to expiration.

I have never had shares get called away before expiration on covered calls, but I have had Puts assigned well ahead of expiration on sold Puts (that I was planning on rolling but then never got the chance). Be very careful with selling Puts if you don't have the money/margin to buy the shares. For your calls, you can either buy shares on the morning dip and then let those get called away (change lot preferences with your brokerage so the new shares are sold and not the ones you've had more than a year), buy the calls back (probably at a loss), or roll them out to higher SP and farther date (at least you get more for your shares if they get called away, and there is more time for the SP to drop again so you can get off the hook).

P.S. - I've gotten better at buying back calls for a loss when necessary. I've learned that not every trade will work and make you money, and that's OK. The goal is to be net positive.....

Last edited:
Battery pack still at 100kwh but with new advances in battery...range has now increased to 518 :) (purely speculation on my part...just to screw with Lucid's claim of 517)
Well, 100kWh is 100kWh... so it's the same amount of energy.

Yeah, the advance might reduce the pack weight some, but if you are precluding some advances in driveline efficiency, it doesn't really change much if you still have the same amount of total energy to work with.

Reactions: JRP3 and Queeg500