Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bigger idiot than you

I had 420 shares

Listened to a guy who has been investing for a while and losing a lot of money but he wasn’t telling me he was -40%, and he convinced to sell at $1150 because he said not to be greedy.

I lost 200 grands listening to his advice

Gonna go out on a limb and postulate that very many members of this forum have "lost" (on paper) $200K+ in a day, and in some cases in an hour. On the other hand, we have also "gained" $200K+ in a day/hour.

Well timed Barron's article.
View attachment 577377

Behind a paywall.
I marked this news "funny" because you would have to be a Tesla short to think this means they can't sell everyone they can make!

China is a huge country, I suspect the first month of quarter sales are lower due to transit delays as they "prime the pump" by transporting cars to further reaches of the country so they can all be sold in the same quarter they were made. If so, we should see blowout sales numbers by the end of Q3. :)

The reason for me posting the link to the news article was to get feedback as to the possible reasons for the drop as the article does not provide any. Next time I will be more explicit.

Thanks to all that replied with valid reasons that would explain the drop.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I am a bigger idiot than you

I had 420 shares

Listened to a guy who has been investing for a while and losing a lot of money but he wasn’t telling me he was -40%, and he convinced to sell at $1150 because he said not to be greedy.

I lost 200 grands listening to his advice

Many were calling me the fool - close friends too.

At some point you would have had to bite it and pay more than you exited. That's the trap. I had 500 last year as well, sold some to buy 2 calls, but then sold the calls too and managed to convince myself it was OK to buy back at a higher price. All the data suggested this was the correct move, and it still does today.

What a clown. His defensive argument (confession?) is their methodology just doesn't allow them to value Tesla accurately.

He should just admit their methodology is dated and incorrect.

His biggest mistake in the way he explained the valuation they are assigning is in assuming he knows how large the EV market will be in 2030. Conventional projections always under-estimate the speed at which disruptive technologies will be adopted. The EV (and the battery) markets in 2030 will be orders of magnitudes larger than the numbers given to him by industry analysts.

Behind a paywall.

The reason for me posting the link to the news article was to get feedback as to the possible reasons for the drop as the article does not provide any. Next time I will be more explicit.

To be clear, I was rating the news "funny", not the fact that you posted it.

Many were calling me the fool - close friends too.

At some point you would have had to bite it and pay more than you exited. That's the trap. I had 500 last year as well, sold some to buy 2 calls, but then sold the calls too and managed to convince myself it was OK to buy back at a higher price. All the data suggested this was the correct move, and it still does today.

I think many of use here have taken literal abuse from friends, family and colleagues on our $TSLA investment. For my part I always explained why it was such a great opportunity, while they just parroted back the FUD from the various websites.

They ain't laughing now though, and as I've said before, only one person ever took my advice and invested, her average buy-in was around $200.

It's so obvious to me, I don't understand why others don't get it.

Behind a paywall.

Another reason for posting the article: Barron's makes money by discussing what other companies are doing or not doing. Tesla makes money by changing the transportation paradigm, first by motive force, then by data and metrics and soon by AI-NN FSD... Oh forgot about the energy paradigm, decentralized energy production and storage...

Gonna go out on a limb and postulate that very many members of this forum have "lost" (on paper) $200K+ in a day, and in some cases in an hour. On the other hand, we have also "gained" $200K+ in a day/hour.
Those 6-figure swings are a lot easier to take when they are 5-10% of the total portfolio than when they’re 60%. My first $200k loss was AAPL earnings in Oct ‘11, where I was all in on short term calls. That was when Steve Jobs died, and so did my career as a day trader. Much different strategy these days...

This ^ is exactly why the 5:1 split is powering the stock. Psychology. I thought I would never pay over $1000 a share and I too bought another 23 shares today at open. Why? After the stock split TSLA will be in the $360 range. Yes, investors will feel better about buying at this level. So, $1,000, $1,800, $360, it does not matter when you get in TSLA, it is that you get in TSLA. Yes, of course nothing has changed and yet everything has changed. And if you believe this will be the only stock split for TSLA you will be mistaken, most definitely mistaken.
They're turning the clock back to late 2018! We get to do it all over again!

I think many of use here have taken literal abuse from friends, family and colleagues on our $TSLA investment. For my part I always explained why it was such a great opportunity, while they just parroted back the FUD from the various websites.

They ain't laughing now though, and as I've said before, only one person ever took my advice and invested, her average buy-in was around $200.

It's so obvious to me, I don't understand why others don't get it.
This is exactly why the pundits are also speechless on air. So they just fall back on comparing 2020 production numbers in disbelief, still thinking it's a car company, lol.

They drank the kool aid and can't believe it was actually filled with Everclear... until the next morning.