Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article came out today and it made me depressed :(

The new savings target for a modest retirement: $8 million?

4% withdrawal or 25X expenses is the most accepted rule.

Garbage on all fronts.

The 4% rule came from Bill Bengen in 1994 and the followup Trinity Study in 1998 (now behind a registration wall, fake email addresses work). The new article today is completely wrong on the basis for the 4% SWR (should be SIWR). SWR = Safe Initial Withdrawal Rate, btw.

If you look at the table in the Trinity Study:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 12.37.20 PM.png

You'll see on the left that there are 5 different portfolios. The top are the initial withdrawal rates, and the table contents are the percentage chance of success. They did this by using historical information. For instance, the "20 years" period consists of all the 20 year periods from 1926 to 1995, of which there are 51. They also did it with just post WW-II numbers. Note this includes not just stock/bond returns but also inflation.

Bill Bengen himself went on reddit some years ago: I'm Bill Bengen, and I first proposed the 4% safe withdrawal rate in 1994. Ask me anything! : financialindependence

Since these initial studies, people have added the last couple of decades to the research (not much changed). People have also performed Monte-Carlo simulations to try to cover events that haven't happened yet, but that's really controversial since stock returns, bond returns, and inflation are all influences on each other so the simulation will cover things that literally won't happen.

There's also confusion over how the 4% SWR works. You don't withdraw 4% each year. Here is what it really is:
1) During the first year of retirement, you can withdraw up to 4% of your portfolio's value. Call that $X.
2) During the second year of retirement, you adjust that by inflation. If inflation is 3% then you can withdraw up to $1.03*X during the second year.
3) Continue until you die, leave the remainder to your heirs.

The idea behind this is that retirees will want a steady inflation-adjusted income stream no matter what the markets or inflation are doing. This is flawed thinking. During retirement, most people's spending goes DOWN. Think about it. At 40 years old you may be looking for active vacations (skiing, surfing, bicycling), but at 50 you may start to avoid the more dangerous things, and at 60 you're starting to ask how much walking will be involved. At 75 you're probably not traveling much. Yes, this does vary and these are generalizations. Read this: Why Most Retirees Never Spend Their Retirement Assets

So, when putting this into practice, there are all sorts of considerations:
1) How old are you when you retire? The younger you are the more time you need and the more you're likely to spend in the early years of retirement.
2) How tight is your yearly budget relative to 4% of portfolio? In other words, if your portfolio takes a hit, can you reduce your withdrawals without a major impact on your lifestyle? What gets SWR into trouble is when your portfolio drops 30% for a couple of years, yet you continue to withdraw what are now 15% of the portfolio's value each of those couple/few years. When the markets and your portfolio start earning well again, the size is too small to build back up while you're still withdrawing.
However, if you don't need all that money each year, you can cut back during the lean times.
3) Rates of return vary. These studies all use standard stock/bond return metrics (S&P 500, etc.). But, us active investors have and can continue to do better.

My favorite part: Despite the standard financial advice to move from stocks to bonds as you get older, you'll notice from the table that the 100% stock portfolio does the best, and the 100% bond portfolio does the worst. So, the advice to move to bonds is just as stupid as the "diversification" advice (really diworsification), IMHO.

We've seen "blue chip" stalwarts like GE crumble (and IBM, Xerox, and Cisco before it). I believe one has to fight the natural instinct to gather your marbles and move to so-called "safe" investments that really aren't as safe as advisors claim. As we've seen, dividends get cut quickly when things go south. For myself, the safest thing is to continue investing in high growth companies. Sure, when they go down they go down more than the staid companies, but on balance they go up way more over time.

NFA because I can only say what works for me. Do your own research.

Last edited:
Was just going to post the same :)! Yesterday they got the permit, today they´re driving piles for the stamping section! They mean business at GF Berlin.

Yes, and 19 days to complete Drive Unit building
Was just going to post the same :)! Yesterday they got the permit, today they´re driving piles for the stamping section! They mean business at GF Berlin.

Drive Unit building reportedly complete (https://twitter.com/alex_avoigt) and the Body in White building looks to be less than 2 weeks behind that.

I did the same.

Just in case my theory few posts back (that 4/5 of float value disappearing next week, shorts need to deliver shares unless helped by brokers), is right.

That theory got a bunch of disagreements here, but I've learned to stick to my guns in life and on this forum too, when I think I'm right. I don't know that I'm right in this case, but I think it's a possibility. And even if technically I'm right, I think brokerages may do actions to avert consequences I was pondering, or even that markets end up halting Tesla for few days.
Spoke to my brokerage in Canada, and after many back and forts (3 escalation, and going trice to operation dept), they confirm that
- stock will trade on spit adjusted basis starting on Aug 31st, but shares will be deposited on Sep 2nd. In the meantime, my account will have ghost shares added as to not impact my margin
- If I sell between Aug 24-28th, I will not get extra 4 shares.Neither will buyer get them automatically, they'll likely need to call in after the Aug 31st. So it means that brokerage will implement passing of dividend shares received from Tesla to new buyers, but it seems it will not be automated process. Similarly for shorts, this likely means my theory isn't correct, no short squeeze; except maybe on Aug 31st, Sep 1st, because less float will be available in many brokerages?
- brokerage would not commit to confirm this description in any written form, and said that I should be asking Tesla...

I just watched this and I agree completely! And I'm in good company because Peter Lynch is one of the most successful investors of all time.

And, no, he didn't try to time the market! He invested in quickly growing companies. A must watch for many of the "nervous Nellies" who think they will lose their shirt if they don't hover their finger over the "sell" button.
What other companies are you invested in? I feel like I need to start diversifying more. I know that's taboo to say on here, but I'm a bit paranoid.

Spoke to my brokerage in Canada, and after many back and forts (3 escalation, and going trice to operation dept), they confirm that
- stock will trade on spit adjusted basis starting on Aug 31st, but shares will be deposited on Sep 2nd. In the meantime, my account will have ghost shares added as to not impact my margin
- If I sell between Aug 24-28th, I will not get extra 4 shares.Neither will buyer get them automatically, they'll likely need to call in after the Aug 31st. So it means that brokerage will implement passing of dividend shares received from Tesla to new buyers, but it seems it will not be automated process. Similarly for shorts, this likely means my theory isn't correct, no short squeeze; except maybe on Aug 31st, Sep 1st, because less float will be available in many brokerages?
- brokerage would not commit to confirm this description in any written form, and said that I should be asking Tesla...

Which Canadian bank was this with ?

Last edited:
like working for ass*holes that you hate for decades because you "have to" - You have choices in life, you never, ever, ever "have to" work for ass*holes that you hate for 1 day, let alone for decades.

Recognizing that hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people do not have that luxury if they choose to feed their family and provide a roof over their heads. Having such choices comes from privilege.

Let's assume @Artful Dodger 's theory about the dividend-split forcing the hands of the MM's to "legitimize" their naked shorting (by borrowing the shares and/or covering them). The current rally maybe an indication of that squeeze as it seems to be bigger than a usual reaction to stock-split (see AAPL). So what can we expect in the near-future ?
Here is my hypothesis (mind you I don't really know what I am talking about, so definitely do not take it as advice):

• Naked short squeeze continues until this Friday (21st) driven by MM's to legitimize their shenanigans
  • Next week we trade mostly side-ways just following macros with usual high-beta multiple as the squeeze pressure is no longer in play, but MMs still cannot return to naked shorting until the split is executed (otherwise they would still need to cough up the extra 4 shares for each naked shorted one)
  • The week following the split from 31st they can get back into naked shorting, plus all the traders who were front-running the split would be inclined to take profit, so I would expect a dip there
  • Whenever the S&P500 committee pulls their *sugar* together and make the announcement of TSLA inclusion will trigger the next big run-up
  • Battery day 22nd Sept will be another milestone which will trigger a runup and a following dip in the usual buy-the-rumor-sell-the-news style
So these are my expectations for the next month or so, although I have been known to be wrong about SP movements...
Without guessing, assuming or countering any reasons for the rocket up, I would guess that many fund families are accruing on behalf of their index funds, so they’ll be able to buy shares when inclusion happens. It sounds like they meet monthly and next sept 21st and announce the next week. I’m sure they have other jobs and are expected to be current with potential additions and deletions.
I don’t know jack, but if I ran fidelity, I’d want my index funds to match index performance and beet most of my peers.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Recognizing that hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people do not have that luxury if they choose to feed their family and provide a roof over their heads. Having such choices comes from privilege.
Privilege? I won't get into this. All i am saying is people have 'choices' in life. What you make out of them is entirely up to you.

the trick is to distance yourself from your own demographic, then you can blame pretty much anybody depending on which way the wind is blowing that day. I believe they call it "individualism"

A wise, beautiful, chief secretary in our Department once said "You should be careful, People will think you're eccentric." That I are.

She was so calm on a stressful day I would sometimes sit next to her desk to bask in its radius of silence.