Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought 3 more at $2090. The shares from months ago I somehow feel a small urge to sell (as they're up quite a bit), yet the shares just purchased I deem more valuable in the future. Brains are weird. Won't be selling any, but the price definitely has some kind of odd effect, that may even go away post-split.
yet the shares just purchased I deem more valuable in the future - If you will not be selling any...how would the shares just purchased deem more valuable if purchased at a higher price? just sayin :)

Nawrh, I like da guy that sold 10% of his TSLA yesterday (above $1900 no less!) because he herd there's worry ahead... :p

Cheers!
OK, I am now fully convinced I was wrong yesterday* - the market wasn't softening, it's more like the opposition was stuttering - ergo - I bought back my 10% @2088 - my guts (and the tape) tell me the buy side is stronger - it's a (small, local) gamble that the weekend won't bring some bad news - well every moment/ decision-non decision is a gamble, whether I admit it or not. For the record, I am also sober (not the case yesterday).
(*) Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

It's going to take a while before I can afford one of my dream paintings - a good repro will have to do till then ;D
upload_2020-8-21_14-53-41.png

Last edited:
This is why I'm a big believer in buy/hold, in not trying to time the markets. If you need to sell a portion of your shares for portfolio rebalancing because TSLA has taken over beyond the level you are comfortable with, then, yeah, it's still a crapshoot but you want to maximize the value. But don't sell simply because you think it might go down (as it's always the case that it might go down).
I'm not sure what to do so I've decided to do nothing really. That has served me the best in the past. I did consider selling some covered calls, but even that feels off.

If some of you are correct in that part of this is a run for people to cover these mysterious faux shares before the split, that suggests next week we would see a slow decline in the SP right? (barring other catalysts)
No. Crunch time comes on Aug 31st when the "beneficial owners" who are missing some of their dividend shares are let back out onto the paddock:

"We are sorry, we're currently experiencing Technical Difficulties with your Account. We are working hard to restore service, and we value your business.

"Click here to pre-enter Sell Orders"

Yeah, like that... :p

Cheers!

OK, I am now fully convinced I was wrong yesterday* - the market wasn't softening, it's more like the opposition was stuttering - ergo - I bought back my 10% @2088 - my guts (and the numbers) tell me the demand is strong - it's a (small, local) gamble that the weekend won't bring some bad news - but every moment is a gamble, whether I admit it or not. For the record, I am also sober (not the case yesterday).
(*) Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

It's going to take a while before I can afford one of my dream paintings - a good repro will have to do till then :D
View attachment 579069
I'm not sure if you noticed, but those texts in the painting just say "HODL" and "Buy the dip" in Japanese,

here she goes!
lunch is over

yesterday it waited till I was done with Breakfast for $2k. My co worker and I were commenting on the fact that we needed to eat soon so it could proceed. was so true
Only eat really good fresh food mmmmm. makes stonks do what you want. don't question what works/s?
it really wants to be $2100 but for next week. but with all the time travel crap going on recently. things are a bit off
wish I would have balls to do options/understand them enough. when I bought my last at $1420.69 for split and battery day I imagine option investing would have made more sense

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: jw934 and Hock1
yet the shares just purchased I deem more valuable in the future - If you will not be selling any...how would the shares just purchased deem more valuable if purchased at a higher price? just sayin :)

Oh it's silly, for sure. It's more like "my previous good decision is up X%!" but my new decision (new shares) is also going to go up X%. It's as if I want to lock in profits, and stay long, simultaneously. Illogical.

Oh it's silly, for sure. It's more like "my previous good decision is up X%!" but my new decision (new shares) is also going to go up X%. It's as if I want to lock in profits, and stay long, simultaneously. Illogical.
but my new decision (new shares) is also going to go up X% - Just remember that your (new shares), no matter how much X% it goes up will never catch up to your previous decision (previous shares) that you purchased at a lower price.

Nothing in life is guaranteed but this is guaranteed :)

Which allowed me to explain about the relationship between battery size and draw rate, and how good your battery management is. Which is, fundamentally, the reason Tesla's are so quick.

And is why the Polestar2 is not quick.

There are reasons beyond superior battery/battery management why Teslas are quicker than the competition. Tesla has a built-in price advantage for reasons I won't go into. This allows them to use higher quality, more expensive power electronics. It costs money to handle higher current (Tesla has been using more expensive Silicon Carbide power transistors). You can achieve a similar acceleration result with less expensive silicon but you need more of them and you lose efficiency. You can also develop heat problems under sustained hard acceleration if you design for more power than the components can handle.

There is also motor design. This is a high tech field that is growing by leaps and bounds. Very complex and non-intuitive. The magnetic fields generated are 3-dimensional and must be optimized for efficiency, cooling, cost of manufacture, etc. Tesla obviously has a bit of "magic" in their motors.

In short, Tesla battery superiority is often given too much credit for superior Tesla attributes like efficiency, range and acceleration. The truth of the matter is it's a wholistic design approach with highly optimized components at every level of the powertrain that creates a distinct advantage for Tesla. It takes years to dissect, understand, copy and reproduce all of that, and by that time Tesla has advanced another 7 years (even though only 5 years have elapsed!).

If some of you are correct in that part of this is a run for people to cover these mysterious faux shares before the split, that suggests next week we would see a slow decline in the SP right? (barring other catalysts)

I actually went back and looked at AAPL in June 2014. The week prior to the effective split date it mostly traded flat. That said we have the S&P Trump card to keep people interested. Assuming no S&P news this weekend I say we see a typical Tesla Monday/Tuesday and then trend towards max pain as we head towards Friday.

This price action does seem to have a similar quality to yesterday. Sort of a steady advance punctuated by small bursts

Somebody accumulating and trying not to make too much noise, seems very controlled. Let’s see what happens in the last hour.

I have no idea if allowed by rules and regulations but from a purely logical perspective there is another possibility: Broker X can create 4 new phantom shares for each phantom share they had before the split and distribute those together with the 4M shares they got from tesla.
How does that explain what we are seeing actually happening since the Stock dividend announcement:
  • 53% runup in SP even before any small investor can purchase a single share at 1/5th the price?
  • Heavy volume (up to 500K shares) traded in the early Pre-market when only entities such as MMs and large Hedge funds are allowed to conduct trading?
  • Steep, steady runup in SP until 07:00 am when other smaller entities are allowed to trade?
  • Manipulation to the down side in the few minutes before the main Market session opens, in an attempt to induce panic selling?
  • the large (unpredidented?) volume of open Call Contracts expiring these last 2 Fri? (it's like someone is desperate to buy shares, and is willing to pay++ for them?)
But hypotheticals trump evidence, wot? ;)

Cheers!