Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, they were all already in a S&P group. They either moved up or down. No new adds.

That doesn't matter.
Typically, a company that gets included into the S&P 500 is already in something like the S&P400 - it just got bigger.
Tesla qualifies not by growing in size but by becoming profitable.
For Tesla to be included into the S&P 500, someone else has to be booted from the S&P 500. The company would probably go to the S&P400 and then some company in that would get booted out of there.

There is nothing to read in that the companies that got added were already in another S&P group. That's just normal and doesn't mean that it's more or less likely that Tesla will be included later.

Last edited:
Tesla is in a knife fight with the fossil fuel industry. No more, no less. A fight to the end.

I’m not implying any conspiracy — only the endowment effect.

Understanding the Endowment Effect

In behavioral finance, the endowment effect describes a circumstance in which an individual places a higher value on an object that they already own than the value they would place on that same object if they did not own it. Endowment effect can be clearly seen with items that have an emotional or symbolic significance to the individual. Sometimes referred to as divestiture aversion, the perceived greater value occurs merely because the individual possesses the object in question.

The fossil fuel industry will fight with all they can, at every instance.

Tomorrow, I will find someone that has never driven a Tesla and let them drive my car. Every time I do this, I discover a new convert. It is my way of fighting back.

Winston Churchill said: “I like a man who grins when he fights.”

“I like a man who fights back with a Tesla grin.”
JB Leonard
I love your approach. Got my first Tesla in 2013 and after that everyone that wanted have always been allowed to test the Tesla I had.

This have resulted in five getting their own

S&P / no S&P - it has zero impact on Tesla fundamentals and is simply a short term impact on stock price.

Can we get back to focusing on the fundamentals of Tesla the company, rather than TSLA the stock?

Honestly I'm just glad that after this week we can put all the BS about stock splits and S&P inclusion behind us (for a few months at least, when the whole sordid S&P affair begins again).

• Love
Reactions: Skryll and Mo City
> The S&P 500® is widely regarded as the best single gauge of large-cap U.S. equities.

Not any more...

> The index includes 500 leading companies

Like ETSY! "Etsy is an American e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items and craft supplies."

I mean... c'mon.
Musk really did the S&P a solid. I'd find it downright dirty if they left him hanging.

I'm expecting Q3 and Q4 2020 to be profitable so S&P inclusions could happen anytime in the next 6 months.
While I would like it to happen, it is no certainty...

While it has a significant affect of the share price short term, . the fundamentals of the business and revenue growth are more important.

IMO for it to happen there are 3 key criteria:-
  • A good entry price
  • The element of surprise
  • 100% confidence that an infinity squeeze will not happen.
The element of surprise is to make sure there is not significant front-running, not adding now may be a way to unwind some of that front running.

I don't think the share split and the $5B offering were sufficient to prevent an infinity squeeze, They were not necessarily related to S&P addition we don't know if Tesla has had any negotiations with the committee or how those negotiations went.

I was assuming there might be a quiet agreement that the $5B was just the first installment.(this might be the case)

We have to get used to speculation because people love to speculate, Battery Day has shown us that, and also that speculation can be wrong.

Bottom line S&P addition may never happen, but IMO it will happen when almost no one expects it, if I'm on the committee that is the timing I would pick.

They do run a risk that Battery Day might significantly increase the share price, so moving before Battery Day would be ideal but not at the risk of an infinity squeeze..

Sometimes it is not worth saying up all Christmas Night, it is better to get a good nights sleep and be surprised in the morning.

> The S&P 500® is widely regarded as the best single gauge of large-cap U.S. equities.

Not any more...

> The index includes 500 leading companies

Like ETSY! "Etsy is an American e-commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items and craft supplies."

I mean... c'mon.

The commission makes its index pretty much irrelevant if they don't add Tesla therefore all that they can do is postpone it but they do not have much of a choice if they want to stay in business-like in the past.

We will see what next week brings but after today I expect them to get a ton of pressure.