Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah so......sorry but it seems very apparent to me based on the news of the offering being sold, that Tesla got played in this scenario. If they're announcing it has closed, it means they've been issuing shares at these lower prices. It seems obvious to me that they thought they were going to get inclusion and wanted to ride that....but the rug got pulled out from under them by the S&P. Should have just done a regular offerring at 480 :oops:

Also not to ge a Debbie downer, but those Aug china sales are quite a bit lower than I was hoping for
IMO. It is just as likely that there are WS biggies that believe (or perhaps know) that the SP inclusion is not over and we are seeing the mother of all manipulations to front-run the S&P funds.

Thats a lot of what if's. And as the days go by with no S&P annoucement, it will be more and more obvious they got played. I do not think S&P happens this quarter and I hope Elon takes it personally and Tesla goes for a billion in profits for Q3 to shove it up the S&P committee's *as.

Again guys, I'm not saying Tesla was wrong for raising cash or that they were played just because they raised cash. It's the terms of the offering that make it obvious to me that they got played/screwed with

I'm totally fine with getting many disagrees with my thoughts on this btw :) I dont expect a lot of people here to agree with my take on this
Just saying "they got played" isn't really backing up your statement. Again, where is the downside? They basically got $5B cash for free.

I take this raise as a compromise between the board(who wants rainy day cash when it's free) and Elon(who wants things lean). It appeases the S&P folks a bit so that's probably a deciding factor as well.

If you're saying today's drop is how they"got played"....who cares? I'm not selling, Elon's not selling, and inclusion is STILL out there likely to cause an even worse bubble when announced.

Yup, but the stock was trading in mid to upper 300's on Thursday and Friday of last week. I'd put money on the average being around 400 for all the shares issued throughout the week
Lol, you're Tripping. SP intraday low on Thursday was $402.00

On Friday, the intraday low was 372.02 but the VWAP during the main session was $402.97 and Tesla had the right to choose when to sell and for how much per share.

You've past the point where facts support your argument, and entering the point where facts debunk your argument.

Word.

Just saying "they got played" isn't really backing up your statement. Again, where is the downside? They basically got $5B cash for free.

I take this raise as a compromise between the board(who wants rainy day cash when it's free) and Elon(who wants things lean). It appeases the S&P folks a bit so that's probably a deciding factor as well.

If you're saying today's drop is how they"got played"....who cares? I'm not selling, Elon's not selling, and inclusion is STILL out there likely to cause an even worse bubble when announced.

Again.....its the terms of the offering. Not sure how I'm not being clear about this. If they wanted the money, even for rainy day...so a straight offer at a set share price back in the high 400's

Why would they raise cash to fund something that can be funded using internally generated cash flow? Over the next few quarters Tesla may have $1B in cash flow each quarter. Obviously the credit ratings will improve in the next few months again.

This argument (Raise tons of cash and build build build) makes no sense. Tesla is already growing at 40%.

I dont think Tesla got played by SP into raising. I think Tesla raised because they have info that we don't.
To be honest there're a lot of holes at this point, but I can argue that, assuming the SPGC still has some common sense:
TSLA has been on an uptrend which will likely extend the longer they wait. So they can wait for Q3 profit and/or credit rating upgrade to deal with a higher SP still (even without any rampant speculation) - or they can try to put a hard stop on the short term speculation right now and bite the bullet at whatever price TSLA ends up at.
But since common sense is in short supply these days, I'm not holding my breath.

Thats a lot of what if's. And as the days go by with no S&P annoucement, it will be more and more obvious they got played. I do not think S&P happens this quarter and I hope Elon takes it personally and Tesla goes for a billion in profits for Q3 to shove it up the S&P committee's *as.

Again guys, I'm not saying Tesla was wrong for raising cash or that they were played just because they raised cash. It's the terms of the offering that make it obvious to me that they got played/screwed with

I'm totally fine with getting many disagrees with my thoughts on this btw :) I dont expect a lot of people here to agree with my take on this

I think the got played sentiment would make sense if this were October. I don’t get why the S&P would try to play Tesla though, maybe I somehow missed that in your post. That is not how deals are done at those levels. If there was a deal it would be downright dangerous for S&P to be messing with a company that has the potential to literally change the world.

The offering is raising more questions for sure. People here continued to believe it was just an option and they haven’t actually sold anything. Now we know more. The last time we had a run up Tesla was smart in raising cash but they did the standard offering.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Lol, you're Tripping. SP intraday low on Thursday was $402.00

On Friday, the intraday low was 372.02 but the VWAP during the main session was $402.97 and Tesla had the right to choose when to sell and for how much per share.

You've past the point where facts support your argument, and entering the point where facts debunk your argument.

Word.

There were multiple times the stock dropped into 370's last week. I said iI expect the average of the offering to come in around the low 400's

S&P must be thinking Tesla is in a speculative bubble, and would rather include
After the bubble burst. And /or that gaap earning need further confirmation
Without the benefit of tax credits .

Regulatory credits are a viable source of income, as they are a cost on GM, Ford and FCAU's balance sheet, if they were to say "these aren't real profits" then they're rewriting accounting rules, which would be a very dangerous precedent.

Regulatory credits are a viable source of income, as they are a cost on GM, Ford and FCAU's balance sheet, if they were to say "these aren't real profits" then they're rewriting accounting rules, which would be a very dangerous precedent.
And if Tesla hadn't done the groundwork of building BEVs that people actually want to buy, they wouldn't be getting any regulatory credits. It's just as much a legitimate income stream as making the cars.

Am I the only one who thinks GM putting down $2 billion for a stake in Nikola isn't a big risk for a company of their size? Sounds like a lot of money but it really isn't in the big scheme. If things don't work out, they won't be much worse off. It's a lottery ticket.

Nikola, on the other hand, made out like bandits. They should break out the champaign and lift Trevor on their shoulders.

Think about this for a minute: Tesla paid $150 million for Grohmann and $218 million for Maxwell. The ROI on these two can't be measured.

TSLA is in good hands.

I think it's over for tsla and s&p for near term

An S&P Global (SPGI) spokesperson declined to comment of the reasons Tesla wasn’t included, saying, “the committee takes into account several factors such as sector balance and size representation.”
That statement doesn't really mean anything....would you rather him have said "The committee is going to admit Tesla...we are just waiting for the speculative idiots that drove the SP up to sell so we can let our friends buy at a lower level" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup. It would be just like saying that Amazon's profits this year are temporary because more people are buying online due to covid. That's an investment thesis, not a measure of profit. All sources of revenue and profits are ephemeral, the only question is the timeline.

Can TSLA refuse to be in the index? At this point I would like to see Elon start giving out new meaings to "S&P." I got A LOT of ideas.
The S&P is getting dangerously close to the point where TSLA doesn't need anybody's approval.
Like Elon said, "Q3 and Q4 will be incredible."
No. SP global has their list and they can add whoever they want. Here at TMC we could make our own list. ;)