Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no expert, but I think fibonacci levels are generally calculated from the start of an uptrend to the high (rather than just a ratio of the high price).

For instance, if you take the $274 bottom of 8/11/20 and then the ~$500 high of 8/31/20, then the fibonacci 78.6 retracement level was ~$322. With regard to projection of the next fibonacci resistance, it would be the 61.8 at $462. I'm following this method:

I realize that some other technicians calculate by the method you suggest. Over more than forty years of study, I've found that my method works best in regard to major price movements. It's what I presented in my technical analysis book published by McGraw-Hill. The method you describe is in my opinion an over-simplification of the original concept. I have found that for minor price movements, your method works somewhat well, particularly if based on the logarithms of the prices, rather than the actual prices. In the current case the time was short, but the movement was large. Hence I felt my method was appropriate. As it's turning out, so far both methods appear to be prescient in the current case.

I realize that some other technicians calculate by the method you suggest. Over more than forty years of study, I've found that my method works best in regard to major price movements. It's what I presented in my technical analysis book published by McGraw-Hill. The method you describe is in my opinion an over-simplification of the original concept. I have found that for minor price movements, your method works somewhat well, particularly if based on the logarithms of the prices, rather than the actual prices. In the current case the time was short, but the movement was large. Hence I felt my method was appropriate. As it's turning out, so far both methods appear to be prescient in the current case.
@Curt Renz ...care to share where i can purchase that book? I am curious to read your analysis.

Thanks!

Someone pointed out that companies in the S&P 500 must have a public float that's 50 percent of shares outstanding (Source). The definition of "public float" for the purposes of float adjustment among other things excludes shares held by: directors and officers, private equity and venture capital funds, foundations, sovereign wealth funds, asset managers with a board seat, restricted units, and shares held by any individuals who own more than 5 percent of the company (Source).

Could Tesla have just barely failed to meet this requirement, especially with the vesting of Elon's next tranche? This would explain the $5 billion issuance, depending on how coordinated things are some of Ballie Gifford's sales, and if true some of the delay since as everyone figures out where things stand from Elon's next tranche and the recent issuance. I haven't calculated the numbers to see whether this is within the realm of reasonably possible, but plan to soon; maybe there's discussion elsewhere on this.

Regrettable that my first post here is about the S&P 500, but would be quite interesting if this were true.

Way to go Peter taking the high road. Didn't Elon recently say something like Rawlinson left Tesla hanging at a critical moment?
He did....however...at least he understands Elon and $TSLA knows what it takes to be successful and are lights years ahead in EV tech. Lucid is targeting the high end buyers...makes no sense to derail Elon when all it could do is bring on hurt to Lucid.

Guess we wait until close for stock raise details -
Way to go Peter taking the high road. Didn't Elon recently say something like Rawlinson left Tesla hanging at a critical moment?

Yes, although Elon was replying to a Teslarati article (Iirc) that seemed to give Peter more credit for the S than was due. I wasn’t sure if Peter was quoted as making those claims or if Teslarati made the claims.

I just had a 30 minute chat with a very nice chap from Financial Times, with regards to the recent $TSLA story, S&P, and all that, plus my history of the stock, why I invested, how I know more than Wall Street analysts, etc.

Was a real pleasure being able to enthusiastically ramble for 30 minutes to someone that had asked, as opposed to random people I meet in the streets, etc.

Last edited:
I just had a 30 minute chat with a very nice chap from Financial Times, with regards to the recent $TSLA story, S&P, and all that, plus my history of the stock, why I unvested, how I know more than Wall Street analysts, etc.

Was a real pleasure being able to enthusiastically ramble for 30 minutes to someone that had asked, as opposed to random people I meet in the e streets, etc.

I hope anything that's published represents what you said. I'm cynical, I'm afraid. Slowly drip by drip the info should get through, but I'm fearful of bad actors and FUD. Best wishes.

I just had a 30 minute chat with a very nice chap from Financial Times, with regards to the recent $TSLA story, S&P, and all that, plus my history of the stock, why I unvested, how I know more than Wall Street analysts, etc.

Was a real pleasure being able to enthusiastically ramble for 30 minutes to someone that had asked, as opposed to random people I meet in the e streets, etc.
I read the FT and would love to read the article when it's published, if you could kindly post the link once it's up.

Elon was correcting a Teslarati article with facts, one of those facts being that Rawlinson left Tesla during a distressing period. I recall that departure and it was noted as being because of family matters. I also recall the stock took a dive as a result of the news. Nick Sampson also left at the same time.

I almost look forward to paying more for all the bells and whistles on my next model X considering how good TSLA's been to me. Won't hold back maximizing my solar roof once they become available in my area for the same reason. I really hope my Cybertruck will have V2G. when it's ready.

In other words, it's bad enough to short TSLA, but its REALLY bad to short Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: oldTAVguy

I usually just corner people in the office, since they tend to be trapped there with me. Works great. ;)

I’m still not buying S&P is not coming soon. No twitter snark about S&P but Elon will do this? He’s quiet for a reason.
02393D3F-982E-4418-877F-B132AF868B81.png