Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A gap up or down doesn't do it, the stock has to move 10% during a 5-minute window of market trading.
An interesting wrinkle to this. It's called the Limit-Up-Limit-Down plan (LULD). According to Trading curb - Wikipedia:
There is a security specific circuit breaker system, similar to the market wide system, that is known as the "Limit Up - Limit Down Plan" (LULD). This LULD system succeeds the previous system that only prevented dramatic losses, but not speculative gains, in a short amount of time. This rule is in place to combat security specific volatility as opposed to market wide volatility. The thresholds for a trading halt on an individual security are as follows. Each percentage change in value has to occur within a 5-minute window in order for a trading halt to be enacted:

• 10% change in value of any security that is included in the S&P 500 index, the Russell 1000 index, and the Invesco PowerShares QQQ ETF.
  • 30% change in value of any security that has a price equal to or greater than $1
  • 50% change in value of any security that has a price less than $1
The previous trading day's closing price is used to determine which price range a specific security falls into.[5]
TSLA isn't in the S&P 500, but it is in both of the others. When I first read this I thought it would require a 30% move to halt trading. Yesterday, NKLA would have been halted just after opening if it had been in one of these indexes, but it isn't, so it had the 30% limit.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Holding a small number of shares in Tesla that were bought when tesla was still in double digits. Strongly believe in the company and it's mission. I don't have a clue about investing and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity that fate steered me to and only now am I starting to see the behemoth that Tesla is on the road to becoming. Tried to get my brother-in-law to invest in Tesla a few years back, but he didn't and he now regrets that decision.

Through all the ups and downs I will be HODLing.

I knew you were old, @Curt Renz, but wow!

upload_2020-9-9_22-18-10.png

Sure, but as said by many, Rob is way too polite - having a moderator and/or a set structure would be better - even agreeing beforehand a set of 10 items to debate, then giving each participant 2 minutes to state their case. But video with BJ, sorry, GJ, was a mess.

I've been meaning to add some comments to this failure. Not personal, but Rob has ZERO technical background that would help with dealing with Tesla's material. Per his LinkedIn profile, he worked for Khols as Merchandise Planner and Assistant Buyer. Earlier, he worked as Marketing Planner/ Graphics Designer (https://www.linkedin.com/in/maurerrj/

For me he is just 'another Gali' - a news gatherer. That is all. His lack of any engineering/technical background did show during this travesty of an interview. Gordon Johnson, who I consider equally non-technical, rode Rob to the ground. It was very bad on many levels.

This did not do anything good to Tesla. IMO, this exposed Rob as somebody who should look for a new profession pronto.

An interesting wrinkle to this. It's called the Limit-Up-Limit-Down plan (LULD). According to Trading curb - Wikipedia:

TSLA isn't in the S&P 500, but it is in both of the others. When I first read this I thought it would require a 30% move to halt trading. Yesterday, NKLA would have been halted just after opening if it had been in one of these indexes, but it isn't, so it had the 30% limit.

I wonder if the "and" is a mistake in this:

• 10% change in value of any security that is included in the S&P 500 index, the Russell 1000 index, and the Invesco PowerShares QQQ ETF.

Did they really mean to use an "or"?

Ok, I see that is just a bad representation of the actual rule:

Tier 1 NMS Stocks shall include all NMS Stocks included in the S&P 500 Index, the Russell 1000 Index, and the exchange-traded products (“ETP”) [listed on] identified as Schedule 1 to this Appendix.

They change "all" to "any" which I think significantly changes the meaning.