Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hold some, and haven't converted. I just don't see a reason to do so. Maybe I would if someone gave me a good reason.

Me too, I don‘t see a reason why, as is they behave as stock anyways ( if I‘m not missing anything). First conversion offer from my broker got me a bit upset, since they forgot to adjustfor the split...corrected now...

It's happening in Norway too. Here is a recent example from a new Circle-K that opened this summer. They have their own Circle-K chargers open for all and our favourite superchargers from Tesla.

View attachment 589842

Source: Åpning av ny superladerstasjon - Langrønningen, Bamble - Tesla Owners Club Norway
Thanks.

It seems like a clever move to reduce costs. For many sites connecting sufficiently large power cables to the grid is a substantial cost. If the various charging companies can split that cost it should help accelerate the rollout.

I theory Tesla could also supply powerpacks to these sites to manage peak draw too while generating additional revenues from the other suppliers (along with potential other grid stability and autobidder revenue).

Owners are now getting an in app option to purchase enhanced autopilot for $4k.
Enhanced Autopilot Back as 4k Option?
NoA
Lane change
Autopark
Summon

Does not include:
Traffic light/ stop sign
Auto steer in the city

Seems like at least $4k of FSD is recognizable. Plus a profit boost for Q3.

I wonder if this is the start of splitting commercial use versus personal use. It seems odd to just be a money grab at this point.

Adam Jonas sure is great. Sees $272/share and expecting Tesla to target $50/kWh. Utterly clueless.
You maybe. Often stock "analysts" place unachievable expectations for a company so that the improvement of the company is impacted in a negative light. I see this most often done with Production estimates.
This can also be a case where the "analyst" sets himself up to be correct in the future..."I was the first to publicly predict $50/kw batteries."

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad. Not comments from Barra, but from WSJ readers.

From reading the article, Barra 'gets it'. The article is about how she is cutting unprofitable parts of GM to in part fund EV development:

• "Ms. Barra scheduled workshops to sketch out a growth strategy for GM, based on an evolving view that the future would hinge on offering alternative ways for people to get around, such as electric and self-driving cars, said John Quattrone, Ms. Barra’s human-resources chief before his retirement in 2017."
  • "That would also mean deeper cuts overseas to fund the future, Mr. Quattrone said. Ms. Barra presented the new vision to nearly 300 executives at GM’s proving grounds in suburban Detroit"
  • "“We all have to sign up for this plan. If you don’t believe in it, then see John and we’ll find a landing spot for you,” Ms. Barra said, according to Mr. Quattrone."
I noticed the a few weeks ago while I was in Ohio some cranes had popped up behind the old GM cruze factory now the new Lordstown motors factory. Also seen some people on the side of the road with their remote controls for drones out so I gave it a search today to see if it was GM and LG's new battery factory and apparently it is. Not sure what the timeline till its fully finished but it seems they're making progress and possibly taking EV's serious now.

NoA
Lane change
Autopark
Summon

Does not include:
Traffic light/ stop sign
Auto steer in the city

I just purchased, no stop light or city driving updates.

So battery day>
What moves the SP skyward...
Securing unlimited batteries.
Sure 5% cost or density or longevity is expected....
But the one thing that Bean counters can see with their own beady little eyes right now is the constraint of battery production limitations in producing vehicles. If Tesla can articulate a concrete way to an unlimited supply of batteries then the stock will go to $600 in 18 hours (the following morning).
The new chemistry (density, charging rates, enviro-friendly, responsibly mined), the tabless ends, even the lowered cost. None of those are as concrete and real to the industry as Battery constraints. All the other areas on battery day are not stopping cars and stationary systems from being produced.
(This also adds some support that Piedmont Lithium's SP is going to explode when Battery day happens...or they make a statement about the company before allowing trading to continue. BTW my thinking has me believing Piedmont shut down trading because they identified a leak from within that caused the buying to increase, and they figured the best way to stop an SEC investigation was to stop trading, and allow them to give everyone all the news before trading could start. I do not see another reason.)

Not much new information this morning, so I’ll post our new local sales center pics. I got kicked out when trying to get an interior shot of the sales room. The site is 2-4 times the size of our nearest sales site in Westmont. The parking lot has been tarred and painted and ready to go. The site was abandoned 11 years ago when Hummer closed. As the site manager kicked me out I asked how long til they open and he said about a month. The showroom will have space for a Model S3XY and Cybertruck.
Here are the shots I have. I’ll post again when they open. Looking forward to dragging friends in and seeing the new Plaid cars.

Attachments

• 5A57C631-B7A4-4FC7-82AC-86B2C121ABAA.jpeg
    5A57C631-B7A4-4FC7-82AC-86B2C121ABAA.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 82
  • E640B13B-0A19-437E-8E02-B1EDF189592C.jpeg
    E640B13B-0A19-437E-8E02-B1EDF189592C.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 643A6475-2A31-4A1F-A458-E6977F82F056.jpeg
    643A6475-2A31-4A1F-A458-E6977F82F056.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 60
  • AD9016A0-570F-46ED-AAED-97C573530BC1.jpeg
    AD9016A0-570F-46ED-AAED-97C573530BC1.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 7D952038-0315-4DA7-BA05-ABEAF0350761.png
    7D952038-0315-4DA7-BA05-ABEAF0350761.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 63
Tesla Tells Us How It Keeps Beating Nearly Everyone in Range Game

"
While the first Supercharger added roughly 70 miles of range to a Model S in 15 minutes, the current Model S gains 160 miles in the same time period. Unsurprisingly, Tesla told Car and Driver that the next Model S will support even quicker charging. The company's current Supercharger V3 supports a peak rate of 250 kW, which is supported by the Model S, Model X, and certain variants of the Model 3. So expect quicker charging coming from either a V4 Supercharger or an update to V3. Expect, too, a supported charge rate above 250 kW coming from the Model S and eventually other models in the Tesla lineup."

Btw, no need to upgrade the V3 (or V4) Supercharger to achieve this, improvements in the car battery alone might do the trick (something we might learn more about quite soon).

Car and Driver article seems to infer that in order to get more range than 160 miles during a time period of 15 minutes the peak charging rate of 250 kW should be surpassed. Now, I'm not saying the peak rate above 250 kW wouldn't happen (of course it will), but charging even at a sustained rate of 240 kW for 15 minutes would yield 60 kWh into the Model S battery. The current Raven Model S has a range of 400 miles per 100 kWh - or 240 miles per 60 kWh.

So, IF the next Model S with the new Tesla made batteries will be able to receive 240 kW for 15 minutes straight the 160 miles per 15 minutes will be beaten with a number of 240 miles per 15 minutes. Without increasing the peak charging rate. Theoretically, of course.

I wonder if this is the start of splitting commercial use versus personal use. It seems odd to just be a money grab at this point.

Could be, though it seems like an anti-money grab since people who don't have a use for city mode get the features they would use for half off. May ease the cost increase when true FSD gets here. Highways one price, everywhere $$$.

Could be, though it seems like an anti-money grab since people who don't have a use for city mode get the features they would use for half off. May ease the cost increase when true FSD gets here. Highways one price, everywhere $$$.

Yeah there is 100% more to the story here as the move alone doesn’t make sense to me.

I now think battery day will discuss an Uber type platform or a dramatic increase in FSD capabilities. No one is paying $4k with a straight face to beta test the software at traffic lights.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Yeah there is 100% more to the story here as the move alone doesn’t make sense to me.

I now think battery day will discuss an Uber type platform or a dramatic increase in FSD capabilities. No one is paying $4k with a straight face to beta test the software at traffic lights.
Well, if the choice is $4k extra now for beta vs $??k for the proven version in the future, then it becomes akin to the debate on buying call options. :)

NoA
Lane change
Autopark
Summon

Does not include:
Traffic light/ stop sign
Auto steer in the city

It's turned up in the UK now for £3,400. I think this is a clever move because at that price I'm tempted, whereas I wouldn't buy FSD at £6,800. I only got my car last week so am still basking in the glow, but when that's worn off I can see myself a few months down the line treating myself to this

Perhaps straying a bit OT, but this is what I received when buying a new inventory Model S last year with "Autopilot".
20200919_110941.jpg

Anyone else hear of "Highway Autopilot"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the impression that that pace of supercharger V3 construction has increased greatly since Juli, I count 17 new SUC locations open, and a lot in the permit/construction phase.
Unfortunately the one I needed most on my recent holiday was still in construction, probably opening in November according to a guy doing prep work on the SUC in Perigueux.
I was stupid enough to decline the offer of our B&B host to charge via a regular 240V outlet, figuring it would be less hassle to stop by a nearby public fastcharger a couple of times. So I had to experience what non-Tesla EV drivers had to go through. I tried to charge 4 times on the same 50kW fast charger:
- first time using a chargemap card. I had to try probably 10 times to get the charger through the authentication step, but ultimately was able to charge at a lousy 33kW (the first time I used my CCS2 adapter on my Model S so at least I was happy this worked).
- second time, I decided to use the app from the provider itself, which allowed anybody with a smartphone and a credit card to charge without subscription. I also used my Chademo adapter figuring that would be closer to the 50kW charger limit. I could start the charge after only 2 tries, but the charge rate was even less, 28kW. Unfortunately the charge aborted and restarted for unknown reasons, so I gave up after a couple of tries with only half a charge.
- third time, I used CCS again hoping for more stability. Unfortunately after a quarter of a charge the charge aborted completely, without restarting. I gave up, figuring that the charger was overheating, and it was at the hottest part of the day, over 30degrees Celsius, which is pretty normal for that region.
- the fourth time, I charged as early as possible in the morning with cold outside temperature. This was actually the first time I could properly read the instructions on the screen of the charger (so most of the day the screen was unreadable due to the bright sun shining directly on the screen). This time I could charge normally a,d completed a full charge at 33kW.
In conclusion, I’m not selling my Tesla shares anytime soon. I can now believe the people who claim that you can’t go on holiday with an EV (except if it is a Tesla).
Our host was considering installing a Tesla destination charger, but I have the impression that the last 2 years not a lot of destination chargers were added in Europe. Has this programme stopped?
Oh, I also stopped by a hotel-restaurant with a destination charger. We wanted to charge while drinking a coffee, but the polite but unfriendly receptionist declined our charging request stating that it was only for hotel guests. With all three chargers free, close to zero hotel guests, and without even giving the option to pay for the charge, I found that very rude.

This is such an important point in illustrating another advantage Tesla has. I've experienced similar problems in the UK with my Leaf. I only did one long trip but every time I stopped to charge at a motorway service station I would look longingly at the array of Tesla superchargers and think, I wish I had a Tesla. There must be thousands of EV drivers thinking exactly that.