Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be the day I sold out of $TSLA and quite possibly the best car I’ve ever owned.

That would be a monumental mistake, and one I doubt would ever happen. Would be worse than billboards that clutter the environment.

I think you misunderstood me. This is not something you would see unless you wanted to find something and opened the services directory. So there would be no clutter. It would be a modern version of the Yellow Pages. This won't happen until Tesla reaches at least 25% market share.

What apps can you think of a tesla owner would pay $10-$20 and/or a $5 monthly fee for? (especially ones that would not use LTE bandwidth to the degree it'd cost Tesla additional money likely in excess of their profit from the app long term)

If Tesla offered a nationwide car wash service for unlimited Tesla-approved car washes across the country for like $15-$20/month that I could subscribe to via the app, I'd definitely subscribe if there was a location close by my house.

Feel officially excused

In fact, it looks like I am the only one from Europe who is flying from Europe to Battery Day , and I'm the only Author from CleanTechnica who can go. No pressure :confused:

I consider myself a small fish in the Tesla community but feel very honored to have received the invitation from Tesla and pleasantly surprised to have received a travel ban waiver from the US Embassy. I still can't believe that... Its called NIE, National Interest Exception.

You can call me now a person of national interest to the USA :eek:

They likely arrest me at immigration :( :confused:

It is my plan to report about that trip in a comprehensive way, write articles, make videos, and tweet.

Beside battery day and shareholder meeting, I will have a meeting with investors, influencers, YouTubers a.o.the day before. All of them you know as they are a part of the Tesla supporting community. There is, even more, to happen which I am not allowed to talk about.

The trip goes on my personal account and is a net negative for me which is fine, I don't complain.
............MODE DELETED MATERIAL..........
I will post here if time permits but the more safe place to catch the latest and greatest is Twitter, YouTube, and of course Patreon.com

.............MOD-DELETED....................

MODERATOR: Note that ALL references to self-marketing on TMC, whether for oneself or for another, is in absolute violation of Terms Of Service. REGARDLESS of any merit to same.

FWIW Tesla seems to be pushing all levers for a blow-out quarter.
Offering EAP and as I mentioned earlier about the getting a trade in quote before battery day. I just got my quote and it’s a month later, ~2k more miles on the car, and they are offering me $800 more than they did before. Perhaps it’s just circular positive thought but I think some major stuff is about to go down at battery day.

Extremely reasonable analysis by Limiting factor. Super great stuff.

It was a very good video. He hit the nail on the head about heat being the limiting factor for increasing the size of a cylindrical cell. The combo of tabless electrodes, Maxwell dry process, and maybe other stuff like plate cooling is what is allowing Tesla to have much bigger cells which will reduce costs. Now, given that materials drive about 60% of a cell cost, I wouldn’t be surprised to see improvements in the materials cost area to also be talked about on battery day.

The Big Short 2.0:

micheal.jpg

Love it. I think it makes sense to offer this option even in the long term especially when the model 2 is in production.

BTW, how does EAP impact resale(Carvana etc)or trade in value? I want to replace my model 3 with a model Y soon. I will not be using any of the EAP features very much at all so this would be more to explore the features to get a better understanding of the future of autonomy as an investor.

Anybody have thoughts?
I bought a 2019 M3SR+ last May, right after Tesla started putting in the new HW3 computer. I also purchased the FSD package for an additional $6k (or $7K? I can't remember anymore).

This June I traded in my 3 (with 13k mi on it) for the Y. I asked if I could simply "transfer" the FSD package I purchased last year--Tesla said 'no,' that I would have to repurchase the package again, so I did.

I paid Tesla about 44K for the 3, and for a trade-in quote got $35100 back.

Also, I've read media stories (don't know if they're true) that if you trade in your Tesla through a 3rd party (like Carvana or used auto dealership), Tesla can remotely disable the FSD package; supposedly this has happened to buyers of a used Tesla (with presumably FSD) and they haven't been happy about it. Of course, keep in mind, not sure if the dealer actually knew the difference between FSD/basic AP, so there's that, too. (on a side note dealing with Tesla/trade-ins over the internet is INFINITELY better than screwing around with traditional auto dealer model--so much simpler, less stressful, less time-consuming and hassle-free!). I really love Tesla, they've just nailed everything, the whole experience.

I've never driven a Tesla with basic AP, I've had FSD in both my Teslas, so I don't know the difference. But I do love FSD, I think it works great on long road trips and in busy city highway traffic with lots of interchanges. If used properly really improves safety and helps mitigate the effects of driver fatigue. It's really improved this past year, can't wait for the rewrite.

So if my Pandora subscription is non-taxable in CA does that mean an FSD subscription is non-taxable as well?

If that’s the case, why do I pay sales tax on the software portion when buying a new car that has FSD included?

Difference in how sales and use taxes categorize subscriptions (whether SaaS, PaaS, or otherwise) versus asset acquisitions (FSD is a permanent, non-transferable license).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: gabeincal
Reactions: Noneduck
The trip goes on my personal account and is a net negative for me which is fine, I don't complain.

What?? You are literally asking for more Patreon subscribers in your post BECAUSE of this trip. There is no way this trip isn't for business use. I mean, you report your Patreon income as income, right? This trip should be a business expense against that income. What am I missing?

I don’t know that Tesla nor even Elon Musk dislike advertising. I certainly wouldn’t accept that they hate it.

I would agree that they feel paying for unnecessary advertising, doesn’t make sense; not one little bit.

In fact I would be inclined to call Elon the reigning king of unpaid advertising.
There was a question at the AGM either last year or the year before addressing advertising.

Paraphrasing Elon, he said that traditional advertising feels disingenuous to him, but he is open to informational productions.