Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't worry - ARM powered MacBooks is polarising for sure but it will blow over quickly enough.
Haha so true. Soon we will have civil war between the tablet with keyboard and mouse faction, and the laptop with touchscreen faction. Who cares about lockdown or herd immunity, red or blue president, tabs or spaces or other meaningless differences right?

Left to market forces alone, solar panels wouldn’t have achieved the current price levels and certainly not in the current time frame.
Market forces alone are what drove down the cost of solar. Germany's transition plan is more purely capitalist than the vast majority of markets/industries in the US.

Last edited:
I keep forgetting about this component. I really dont think its possible for any traditional auto company to ever produce a tesla killer simply because of this

I believe that the Mach-E is being set up to fail on purpose because of the dealers and their service revenue.
This is (IMO) a last ditch effort to compel ICE buyers looking to be green that it is not worth it.... Expensive car, frequent recalls, hard to charge, less range than anticipated and battery management that doesn't hit the mark.

This will make it easier to switch back to an ICE for them and to tell their friends that it was a bad experience.

I further believe that it is purposeful FUD to drive the anti Tesla narrative and slow the coming BEV wave.
Not sure how this affect the TSLA stock price but my 2 cents.
Cheers

I believe that the Mach-E is being set up to fail on purpose because of the dealers and their service revenue.
This is (IMO) a last ditch effort to compel ICE buyers looking to be green that it is not worth it.... Expensive car, frequent recalls, hard to charge, less range than anticipated and battery management that doesn't hit the mark.

This will make it easier to switch back to an ICE for them and to tell their friends that it was a bad experience.

I further believe that it is purposeful FUD to drive the anti Tesla narrative and slow the coming BEV wave.
Cheers

I bought some Ford Stock in the last dip to ride the hype on the Mach E, then sell it. But my largest position is Tesla followed by Amazon, and then Apple. I made 3X on NIO but sold it. Wish I had kept it for a 10X.

Like your photo. Retired PADI Master Instructor and UW Cave explorer here.

OT:

OT:
Lol, HST orbits at 568 km alt:

View attachment 604938

which is higher than Starlink birds (550 km). Unless that picture was looking down at Broadway... :p

"Concerns have been raised about the long-term danger of space debris resulting from placing thousands of satellites in orbits above 600 km (370 mi), as well as the negative impact to optical and radio astronomy on Earth. In response, SpaceX has lowered the Starlink satellite orbits to 550 km (340 mi) or below"

The Starlink constellation, phase 1, first orbital shell: 72 orbits with 22 each, 1584 satellites at 550 km altitude:
placeholder_image.svg

EDIT: BTW, the difference in Orbital velocity for a satellite at 568 km altitude vs one at 550 km alt is 9.834 m/s or about 22 mph.

There would be no blur at that low speed. The 'Humble' photo is a fake. Back to retweeting Romanian politics for him. :p

Earth is a sphericalish object of radius 6357km at a minimum. With Hubble at 550km, the effective elevation angle to view Broadway (assuming it is currently in view) is 67 degrees relative to straight down: asin(6357/(6357+550)). Any other angle looks 'above' the Earth and can capture a star or sattelite in any non occluded orbit.
SmartSelect_20201103-082824_Samsung Notes.jpg

There is certainly a cohort of folks who have a tribal loyalty to various auto brands. I have a friend who is an auto guy. We have attended races together and he was in individual stocks before I was. He owns three 5.0 mustangs of various years. I tried to talk him into investing in TSLA early. No luck. I let him drive my car. He will not buy a Tesla. I asked him why. His answer, "its not my dream". There is no real antidote for this. He will just have to miss the boat. People have a natural tribalism and we train for it in our schools with sports teams. Irrationality serves us all ill.

Indeed, I’ve taken my close group of friends out for a spin in my stealth performance 3 with jaw dropping reactions...but when it came down to asking if they would pull the trigger on the car themselves, they seemed hesitant as well. For whatever reason something didn’t speak to them...lol the same could be said when I pitched buying TSLA to them (@400 pre-split) Oh well, I just keep banking the gas savings and buy more TSLA :D

Cheers

Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".

There is certainly a cohort of folks who have a tribal loyalty to various auto brands. I have a friend who is an auto guy. We have attended races together and he was in individual stocks before I was. He owns three 5.0 mustangs of various years. I tried to talk him into investing in TSLA early. No luck. I let him drive my car. He will not buy a Tesla. I asked him why. His answer, "its not my dream". There is no real antidote for this. He will just have to miss the boat. People have a natural tribalism and we train for it in our schools with sports teams. Irrationality serves us all ill.
In large part, we can thank the MSM for this lack of enthusiasm and curiosity. Instilling hate and fear is their specialty now.

On tribalism and mindsets.

The very first winter we spent outside Alaska is the year I purchased my first Tesla.
One of my closest friends also epitomizes many persons’ view of an anti-progressive redneck: he works for the coal and oil industries; the only Republican politicians he doesn’t like are those who aren’t right-wing enough; his sons tune their pickups to roll coal.... (there are lots of topics that are off-limits to our conversations)....And everything is Ford, right down to his dog’s name.

So he had some days between meetings in the lesser-48 and agreed to fly in to spend time with us. I pick him up at the airport, saying nothing about what I’m driving. This is 2013 and Teslas are rare, poorly-known and certainly not topical in Alaska. And he’s never seen me in anything but a pickup for the prior 20 years.

As we cruise around the airport’s roads he’s so nonplussed by the interior that he fails to hear its silence; rather, he’s quizzing me as to what it is (“BMW? Audi?” and so forth). I keep at a sedate pace until I hit the freeway on-ramp and I’ll let you choose his verbal reaction:p . When his words finally had more than four letters to them he asked how many cylinders it had. I made him guess. 12?16? Whaaa? 8? I tell him 0 and then the conversation really began.

So that was his introduction to Tesla and we now have one more topic in common. He has ever since been a devoted follower of the company; he is at least as active as I am in promoting Supercharging in Alaska (after all, unlike us, he lives in a populated part of the state); he has a Cybertruck on order....and, per my suggestions, he and his relatives have bought TSLA.

Now, n=1 and all that. Regardless, I think that some people are, indeed, implacably set in their ways but others, perhaps most, can be influenced, if the circumstances are correct and it is through a person whom he respects.

Here's another data point as to why the legacy auto business model is struggling/dying.

For four years Mercedes Benz has been auto-deducting our monthly 2016 Sprinter payments from a checking account. Last month was our final payment. But apparently the final payment cannot be auto-deducted because MB wants confirmation of address so they can send the title. Okay, fair enough. But did they email this fact ahead of time? No. Send a letter? Didn't receive anything. Call? Nope.

We check our MB Financial Services account this morning to find our final payment is past due and we have a $33 late fee tacked on to our bill.

Long story short, after 25 minutes on the phone with MB we settle our bill and get the late fee removed. But, geez, what a process. In the age of instantaneous electronic everything, 50+ years of auto loaning transactions, these sorts of unprofitable events (for both parties) still occur.

Tesla's entire online buying process really knocks it out of the park, it's so easy, convenient and transparent. And they're always looking for ways to improve.

Silly wastes of time as outlined above is yet another reason why I have zero desire to deal with traditional auto any longer.

I'm pretty sure I helped sell another Tesla. Realtor friend that I gave a ride in mine last month went for test drives. He decided on a Model S.
"We test drove a couple of the cars. Wow. We are leaning towards an S. The model they had me drive had the Ludacris package. When I press the gas it took off like a rocket ship."

Market aside, I think the end of election uncertainty will have people picking up large purchases that they have delayed. Plus the target audience is flush with cash and has nowhere else to spend it because we can't vacation or dine out.
Haha so true. Soon we will have civil war between the tablet with keyboard and mouse faction, and the laptop with touchscreen faction. Who cares about lockdown or herd immunity, red or blue president, tabs or spaces or other meaningless differences right?
Pfff, luddite. I'm using Nueralink.

Indeed, I’ve taken my close group of friends out for a spin in my stealth performance 3 with jaw dropping reactions...but when it came down to asking if they would pull the trigger on the car themselves, they seemed hesitant as well. For whatever reason something didn’t speak to them...lol the same could be said when I pitched buying TSLA to them (@400 pre-split) Oh well, I just keep banking the gas savings and buy more TSLA :D
IMO, it's fear. Even if they "know" that an EV is easier and cheaper to run their brain is afraid of deviating from what's known. They have lived their whole lives going to get gas and have a comfort level with that. Some people (the laggards) won't get on board until they don't have a choice.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is we are on the verge of a big SP jump. Not posting much but do read some posters and appreciate the contributions. I do look at technical charts, mainly hollow candlesticks but I go more by my gut.
I just got a Model X and love the car. We are now SEX. All cars will have FSD with the MX getting it installed next week. They were so busy delivering Teslas I had a 1pm appointment and was not allowed to be early. They took covid precautions meeting outside under umbrellas. Exciting times.
I am so grateful for EM and all Tesla employees who have surpassed expectations.
I have benefited from being a HODL investor and enjoy the freedom and choices I now have. Next project is building a home with the Tesla Roof/powerwalls along with a new Cybertruck.
I have relatives and friends along with my wifes large family who I sent links to to look into getting a Tesla and not one referral in 7 years. One relative thought Tesla to be a rich man's toy. I am a poor salesman but in a way the stock has remained cheap for a long time which did enable me to profit.
GO TESLA

Last edited by a moderator:
My gut feeling is we are on the verge of a big SP jump. Not posting much but do read some posters and appreciate the contributions. I do look at technical charts, mainly hollow candlesticks but I go more by my gut.
I just got a Model X and love the car. We are now SEX. All cars will have FSD with the MX getting it installed next week. They were so busy delivering Teslas I had a 1pm appointment and was not allowed to be early. They took covid precautions meeting outside under umbrellas. Exciting times.
I am so grateful for EM and all Tesla employees who have surpassed expectations.
I have benefited from being a HODL investor and enjoy the freedom and choices I now have. Next project is building a home with the Tesla Roof/powerwalls along with a new Cybertruck.
I have relatives and friends along with my wifes large family who I sent links to to look into getting a Tesla and not one referral in 7 years. One relative thought Tesla to be a rich man's toy. I am a poor salesman but in a way the stock has remained cheap for a long time which did enable me to profit.
GO TESLA
Looking like you may be right. We're starting to bust out.