Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. It is for "storage areas and pipe systems".

Original German: Tesla darf für Lagerflächen und Leitungssysteme notwendige Waldflächen roden

Google Translate:
Approval for early start: Tesla is allowed to clear forest areas necessary for storage areas and pipe systems

Potsdam - The State Office for the Environment (LfU) today approved the early start in accordance with Section 8a of the Federal Immission Control Act (BImSchG) for the clearing of further forest areas for the construction of pipeline systems and storage areas on the Tesla premises in Grünheide / Mark.

The area to be cleared covers 82.8 hectares. The scope of the application submitted at the end of August 2020 was reduced several times to the measures and areas that are absolutely necessary at the present time.

Approval has been applied for to allow areas for pipelines and storage that will be required for further construction progress. Comprehensive requirements for nature and species protection are connected with the decision as well as requirements for replacement afforestation and forest improvement measures to be implemented in the state forest. The work may only take place on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. Tesla must document compliance with the noise protection requirements by means of appropriate measurements and provide evidence to the LfU by submitting the measurement reports.

Tesla continues to carry out the approved measures at its own risk. If the final approval of the project is not given, all buildings that have already been constructed must be removed and the area reforested at the investor's expense.

A couple thank you's for the board today:

1) I was finally able to put some sell orders into Fidelity by using contingency orders. You can't set a sell order for more than 50% above current SP, so I set a contingency sell at $1042 by establishing a trigger at $850(both levels within 50%). I'm selling shares 5 at a time starting at $1042 and stopping at 15% of my shares if we cross $1200 :)

Thank you for this. Just managed to do a similar thing on Nordnet. Placed a tiny stop loss sell order to trigger if the price reached 1100 or more. Not how I understand stop loss orders but it looks right.

It's nice to learn something new and useful!

The only negative I see from an S&P announcement if if they choose neither of their proposed options. 1 tranche or 2 over a couple weeks - that shouldn't make any sort of difference on this run-up. I put the odds of deviating from those original choices (like over 1-2 quarters) as very low so I fully expect the SP to continue its run-up tomorrow.

I don’t think the following is the most likely scenario, but, it is something the S&P might be able to do to reverse some of this run up with far lower risk of lawsuits and less of a reputational hit than changing to two quarters...

Announce that due to the volume of feedback on this decision, which included a large amount of interest in our considering additional alternatives to the options we’ve announced we believe it is appropriate that we spend more time understanding the needs of the market participants who will be impacted by our decision. As a result, we are delaying a final decision until December 6th. We will make no further public comments on this process until that time.

and, proceed next week to just go with one of the two original options.

This would create ambiguity, let the public imagine that the 2 quarter option, and other unknown options are under consideration without explicitly saying that is the case. I’m sure their lawyers could come up with more lawsuit protective language than I did with the same or more creation of ambiguity.

It would also likely effectively take a week out of the extra time between announcement and inclusion the Tesla add has seen.

I think the odds of this specific scenario are well under 50%, but it’s an example of how they might try to walk a path between legal vulnerability and letting the TSLA steamroll just go without some attempt to slow or reverse it. S&P try to play TSLA movement? Could be... their activity re Tesla did after all start with their punting on Tesla last quarter.

Last edited:
I am not sure what the big deal is between 1 and 2 tranches, if both of them are happening in the next 3 weeks. If it's over 2 quarters, yes, the appreciation can be a bit muted, but this is an outside chance.

I feel S&P has some incentive to get this over with and not have it drag on. Remember they already made a giant concession by pre announcing and spreading it over 2 tranches. A still further concession of over 2 qtrs, seems unlikely, though we should never say never.

I think the WSJ article was classic FUD, intended to create exactly the scenario we saw play out today. For what it's worth, Gary Black reached out to the author to learn more about the two quarter option that has been the source of much discussion since yesterday. The author's response was...not convincing:

Capture 113020 01.JPG

I will never say never, but I would be shocked if TSLA's date of inclusion is pushed beyond 12/21 in any way.

Quantumscape (QS) CEO Jagdeep Singh:

"We are competing against Internal Combustion Engines - not other batteries"

"We make a battery cell that's about the size of a deck of cards" "OEM's can assemble those decks of cards as they see fit."

He also says in this interview is that this is a longer term play.

Last edited:
I don’t think the following is the most likely scenario, but, it is something the S&P might be able to do to reverse some of this run up with far lower risk of lawsuits and less of a reputational hit than changing to two quarters...

Announce that due to the volume of feedback on this decision, which included a large amount of interest in our considering additional alternatives to the options we’ve announced we believe it is appropriate that we spend more time understanding the needs of the market participants who will be impacted by our decision. As a result, we are delaying a final decision until December 6th. We will make no further public comments on this process until that time.

and, proceed next week to just go with one of the two original options.

This would create ambiguity, let the public imagine that the 2 quarter option, and other unknown options are under consideration without explicitly saying that is the case. I’m sure their lawyers could come up with more lawsuit protective language than I did with the same or more creation of ambiguity.

It would also likely effectively take a week out of the extra time between announcement and inclusion the Tesla add has seen.

I think the odds of this specific scenario are well under 50%, but it’s an example of how they might try to walk a path between legal vulnerability and letting the TSLA steamroll just go without some attempt to slow or reverse it. S&P try to play TSLA movement? Could be... their activity re Tesla did after all start with their punting on Tesla last quarter.

This was something you do BEFORE you announce an actual inclusion date.

Do not see how they would not face endless lawsuits. Do not see what their motivation would be to incur those lawsuits..

TSLA could be added and then drop to ZERO and the S&P would take 1.5% hit.

We have all seen worse on a daily basis.

Think this was well played by everyone that wanted to see the stock do something other than go up relentlessly. Mission accomplished.

Whatever blurb the S&P issues in a few minutes, if it includes a delay of the actual inclusion date or an ambiguity as to whether the date still applies, there will be a price to pay for everyone involved. What is the upside for them?