Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $695 trade was real. Here is mine. I got lucky. The jump from my $679 limit to $695 makes no sense to me. I'd placed this order at 2:01 PM EST. Perhaps it was executed as part of the "closing cross"? The 3:59 PM high was $665.

upload_2020-12-18_13-41-49.png

There is a price for everything :)

Much against any financial advisor's advice, I have some short term savings for our first home in TSLA. So of course it'll be worth more in the future, but this is a nice price to sell a bit knowing I need the cash anyway. Not sure about OTHER people, but there are certainly situations where folks may want to sell now, at an ATH, with no massive catalysts on the very near-term horizon (except maaaybe FSD, that is just rapidly getting better).

Huh, what is the deal with pinning at 680? Guess this is the price indexers and benchmarkers should buy in to have the least tracking errors?

It looks as if someone is scooping up everything at 680.00. That bid price keeps popping up.

I wonder if benchmarked funds are the buyers at $680 - they are generating alpha for every share they buy below the on-close price of $695.

Sure is stable at 680

My guess is that was determined as the price for purposes of expiring options.

I believe this is getting pinned at 680 primarily because of options. Remember option holders can exercise until 5:30 PM EST.

If my theory is right I expect the lid to be lifted after 5:30. Let’s see.

Regardless the fact that indices were not able to buy the required shares will mean that there will be more buying next week. Plus we could also see the active benchmark funds jump in provide support on any dip.

BTW if anybody was watching the closing cross it was clearly showing a near indicative clearing price of 700$ and far closing price of 720$ around 3:52 PM or so. Stock was trading the 630s.

I bought a couple of hundred shares for around 638$ short term trading based on that information. I plan to hold these shares over the weekend. Cheers.

I don't think that's what we're seeing here. The vast majority of the 120M required seems like it's going to be bought at crosses to avoid variance to market prices. Which makes sense now that everyone here has explained it to me 20x and I've actually just SEEN one that I care about.

I don't think that's how it works. TSLA has been added at $695 to the S&P 500. Any purchase below or above this figure will introduce a tracking error.

Hence the couple of spikes to 695 in AH.

Ignoring the time value of the money (which is anyway very close to 0) for those funds that right now hold cash instead of TSLA because they didn't manage to acquire all the shares they need, if they buy at 695 on Monday, their tracking error should be very minimal.

I do not believe they'd insist on buying just at the opening/closing cross as this would not guarantee the 695.

I think none of the above. It'll be based on the Opening Cross, Monday morning.

That'll be the indexes next chance to get the shares they need.

I love the Disagrees - I really do. I'm hoping for better information from anybody, including the ones that Disagree.

I'm far from an expert - more like most here that have been learning about this stuff for the first time the last few weeks. This is the best info I have - please improve my / our knowledge with better info.

The $695 trade was real. Here is mine. I got lucky. The jump from my $679 limit to $695 makes no sense to me. I'd placed this order at 2:01 PM EST. Perhaps it was executed as part of the "closing cross"? The 3:59 PM high was $665.
Anything above the SP at 3:59($666ish), but below $695 was executed at $695 as one massive purchase in the closing cross. At least that's my understanding.

I love the Disagrees - I really do. I'm hoping for better information from anybody, including the ones that Disagree.

I'm far from an expert - more like most here that have been learning about this stuff for the first time the last few weeks. This is the best info I have - please improve my / our knowledge with better info.
It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Me AH orders are in. Don't even wake me up if we hit $1200 tonight, no need.

H96uOa47GDzWDnKoMiYt_mk9fOSbyZNg--JB1-dVwJU.png

Helpful history. Thank you. Where is the 11 million number or how was it derived?

sorry, mistyped. closing cross at 1600ET was completed with an imbalance of 12.4m shares. I guess there weren't enough sellers at that 695 price... so none more could be brought to the table.

I don't think it is the case that there were not enough sellers at 705 etc, but maybe the MOC buy orders had to be kept under 700? the whole auction process is to exercise max liquidity at a price where both sellers and buyers agree on.

• Informative
Reactions: Rarity