Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's curious, I've never met a Tesla owner who told me they had a subscription to another charging network. Perhaps this is a more local phenomena.

It would be nice to hear from others. You can count me as a Tesla owner who has never used a non-Tesla charger.
I have a Chargepoint account and used their chargers at the Harrah's Hotel in South Lake Tahoe. But it was because it was free for hotel guests. I have never paid for any charging other than at Tesla SCs.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm
That's curious, I've never met a Tesla owner who told me they had a subscription to another charging network. Perhaps this is a more local phenomena.

It would be nice to hear from others. You can count me as a Tesla owner who has never used a non-Tesla charger.
I bought my first Model S in 2012, so back then there weren’t as many superchargers, and the local charging stations were third party networks such as EVGO, Blink, etc. So I probably do own memberships in 3-4 of them. One of the local shopping centers has a chargepoint station, so we use it occasionally, but certainly these days one could go without any other memberships, esp given the increased range in current models.

• Informative
Reactions: jhm
Once again, 2020 is analogous to 1972 and early 2008, maybe even 1928, Elon sees us in the Roaring 20's, after all. Longs will not be harmed and will probably thrive. Many speculators will have a sad year in 2021.

...and here I was thinking about trying to raking up a little extra in 2021 with some (timid) option plays. Oh well, playing dead has worked admirably so far. I guess one can't go too far wrong with that strategy. :D

Thanks JB (and all the calming voices here)!

I got my brother to invest in TSLA last year. He keeps selling and buying it back.
He tells me I should "lock" in the profit's. It has crossed my mind to take some off the table...but I keep pulling the sell orders as I don't need the cash now...and the SP just keeps sailing past those sell prices.

Last one was 700 (3500)....I said last year if it hit that I would sell some....nope not a chance now..HODL!
Well you are getting close to that avatar number of 3999.

Was going to sell some too but the thought about paying taxes make me nauseous, so hodl until we quit our jobs..which is probably never..lol.

When I got my M3 two years ago, I got memberships in several different charging networks, along with adapters and extension cords for every different domestic charging situation. Never used any of them. My garage wall charger and Superchargers are all I’ve ever needed.

Unfortunately, last time I checked you can't take cash or a vacation home with you either.

I keep hoping they will change the rules but each time the answer is the same.

With no heirs and no sensible way to spend it all, I’m starting to have to think real hard where I want it to go. I could have them bury me with it in my Cybertruck on my mountain. Problem is I don’t actually trust anyone to do that unless I’m standing there supervising. Of course, I’d also need them to booby trap my grave. I’m thinking The Mummy kind of stuff. That’d be cool. Or maybe I’ll just leave it to CORPX. Yes. Getting to be a bit of a dilemma.

Prediction for 2021 ... Model X refresh without falcon wing doors

I hated the falcon wing doors but now I love them. If they are refreshing without them, I might flap my wings and pick one up pre-refresh.

Also, you're welcome everyone, today is rebalancing day for 2020 into 2021 and buy button got stuck this morning, though sell TSLA button hasn't worked all year long...maybe there is some dirt underneath it.

Forward Observer

End of 4Q20/2020 total should (note, I said should) as S/X line humans put on leave, and Elon went on vacation to Hawaii. Vacation might have been 24 hours including flight; none the less a vacation. Extreme pressure points require a porta-bedroom w/potty for Elon right where the 3 is produced. Takeout meals delivered:rolleyes: No request for volunteers to ensure deliveries ~ that I have heard. All is quiet on the western front.

Just saying’ ~ low key transition to 2021 within my Tesla world.:D

Reactions: Mike Ambler
One thing I try to avoid talking too much about is the use of various derivative instruments in hedging. To very knowledgable people there is high value, but even very adept ones make drastic mistakes. Check Delta Airlines oil hedging history for reference, although many other dramatic cases, some fraudulent, have caught experts flatfooted. Check:
The Vanishing Salad Oil: A $100 Million Mystery (Published 1964)
Hedging acquired a bad name when 'hedge funds' stopped hedging and began outright speculation.
With TSLA we have giants of Enron discoveries and others who find something they think is fraudulent or weak and try to force it down and out. Every single one of us should know that TSLA is the most-shorted stock in recent memory by many standards. In such conditions it is foolish to try to deal in options except in cases such as @Lycanthrope describes.
There are nearly endless stories of huge losses in derivatives including every option category.
The industry began in 1848 as a means to help farmers predict prices and purchasers to do the same thing. Anybody dealing in this arena ought to know the history, lest one runs a large risk of repeating that history.
Start here with the wiki, if you really want to know how all this began:
Chicago Board of Trade - Wikipedia
Then look here to see how Nobel Prize winners blew it triggering near destruction pf the world financial system:
Long-Term Capital Management - Wikipedia
Then just think about the Black-Scholes-Merton Model:
How the Black Scholes Price Model Works

I admit my reticence about this subject comes from being in seminars taught by two of those people in 1971 while the work was being done that won the Nobel Prize.
Just know that in the really fine print the model was intended for a specific subset of European options. Nearly everyone has forgotten that, including two of those people.

Bluntly, these instruments are now roughly on a par with betting systems. The technologies are largely identical. The house wins, all others have net losses.
When one does true hedging those costs are often reasonable. When one speculates, one loses! The house makes sure that their takes does not make everyone lose, nor anybody lose all the time. Like betting systems, the occasional wins generate false confidence.

Once again, 2020 is analogous to 1972 and early 2008, maybe even 1928, Elon sees us in the Roaring 20's, after all. Longs will not be harmed and will probably thrive. Many speculators will have a sad year in 2021.

Probably the people making all those sweet profits will not heed these warnings from some of us. I am keeping at it because the Tesla community is precious to me and I really will be sad if some of us end out paying the price for irrational exuberance. Frankly, following this advice will not make anybody lose any money, so long as they do not sell. Staying in is another story.

Of course I am older than most of us. I bear the scars of 1973. I learned soon enough that I managed to recover before too long. A financial life doing many workouts and liquidations taught me how often those same mistakes keep being repeated. The failures disappear and new smarter people reinvent the same mistakes.

Anybody who wonders how this might happen now might study the career of, say, Steve Mnuchin. Don't leave out the details of Sears and IndyMac, or Trump Tower Chicago.
Superficiality in investment is just like superficiality in any major decision.

OK, I read all that twice, and I'm still not sure if you approve of my strategy :oops:

With no heirs and no sensible way to spend it all, I’m starting to have to think real hard where I want it to go. I could have them bury me with it in my Cybertruck on my mountain. Problem is I don’t actually trust anyone to actually do that unless I’m standing there supervising. Of course, I’d also need them to booby trap my grave. I’m thinking The Mummy kind of stuff. That’d be cool. Or maybe I’ll just leave it to CORPX. Yes. Getting to be a bit of a dilemma.

Adopt me. I'll take good care of your shares. :D