Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“RMD” stands for Required Minimum Distribution. The IRS requires IRA owners to withdraw funds every year, the amount depending upon a variety of factors, including the IRA type, date of acquisition (if inherited), owner’s age, etc. Failure to take the RMD results in a penalty equal to 50% of what the not taken RMD was to have been.
What does this have to do with selling the shares?

What does this have to do with selling the shares?
There was earlier discussion about "selling" the shares to take out the RMD and others of us have been suggesting simply transferring them into a taxable account. It is the unfortunate case, however, that under each action, you still have to pay the taxman, but there are a small number of long-term variables to take into account.

• Helpful
Reactions: Boomer19
There was earlier discussion about "selling" the shares to take out the RMD and others of us have been suggesting simply transferring them into a taxable account. It is the unfortunate case, however, that under each action, you still have to pay the taxman, but there are a small number of long-term variables to take into account.
So, of course you take the RMD. And of course you treat that as ordinary income for tax purposes.

And this has nothing whatsoever to do with selling shares, unless you need the money. Some people seem to be confused by this. I don't think it's me.

While we are on the RMD subject... I have an inherited IRA I've had to take RMDs from in the past, and I had Fidelity withhold federal and state taxes from each distribution. Just learned a few weeks ago that is stupid! Pay your taxes out of a taxable account instead! Duh.

I've also got the same problem this year as others, I'd have to sell some TSLA shares to take my RMD. I'm going to try selling covered calls instead and see if I can generate enough cash by the end of the year to avoid that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Mark B. Spiegel wrote that 1/2 million deliveries in 2020 would be absurd: Stock Market Insights | Seeking Alpha

Turns out he was right. 499,500ish deliveries though? Not absurd.

Here’s my investing confession. I am a terrible, terrible investor. Shameful.

I’m ashamed that my wife only put $1k into TSLA right after IPO.

I’m ashamed that I only put 60% of my life savings into TSLA a little bit after that.

I’m ashamed that I only put 75% of my remaining life savings into TSLA a little bit after that.

I’m ashamed that I kept some emergency money in a checking account, just in case.

I’m ashamed that I didn’t rob a bank in 2013, then pay them back plus a little interest and “Sorry, whoopsies” hush money in 2020.

I’m ashamed I didn’t sell my wife in 2013 and put the proceeds into TSLA. We both would’ve been much happier.

I’m ashamed that I bought a house to live in circa 2007, instead of putting that money into TSLA in 2013 and living out of a cardboard box until 2021. Damn, and I really love the smell of cardboard, too.

I’m ashamed I paid my electric bill since then. I mean, I’m a Boy Scout. I can go without electricity for a decade.

I’m ashamed I spent money on clothes instead of TSLA. After all, I look good in a nice cheap pair of tighty whities.

I’m ashamed I wasted my money on food instead of TSLA. I could stand to lose 5 or 10 pounds.

So to wash myself of these sins, I’ve enrolled in a two step HODL therapy class.

Step 1: On green days, stop working/being productive and stare at the ticker. All day. From opening to closing bell. Don’t pee. Don’t poop. Wear a diaper a la astronaut lady if needed.

Step 2: On red days, close the browser. Play pickleball. Make banana bread.

So, of course you take the RMD. And of course you treat that as ordinary income for tax purposes.

And this has nothing whatsoever to do with selling shares, unless you need the money. Some people seem to be confused by this. I don't think it's me.
RMD's are not a thing for me...yet.
However as I undertand it it goes like this.

I have 100 shares of TSLA in my non Roth IRA ..I never sold anything and it has appreciated in value. Now the tax man want's his.
He says my IRA is worth X amount and I MUST pay him some of that X as a RMD.
So I need to sell some shares in order to pay that tax man. Now if I have other funds in that same IRA I can use them to pay...but pay I must...and if it is 100% TSLA...well I gotta sell.

I’d like to congratulate everyone that made a Douglas Adams, Robert Heinlein, Monty Python, Mel Brooks, or similar reference today that my decidedly-uncool 80s self would have thought was super cool.

There were quite a few today — a promising start to the year, and I approve. :)
I grok in fullness.

Unless I’m grievously mistaken and have been wildly misinformed, RMDs must be withdrawn as cash.

~~~viz. prior post~~~

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
RMD's are not a thing for me...yet.
However as I undertand it it goes like this.

I have 100 shares of TSLA in my non Roth IRA ..I never sold anything and it has appreciated in value. Now the tax man want's his.
He says my IRA is worth X amount and I MUST pay him some of that X as a RMD.
So I need to sell some shares in order to pay that tax man. Now if I have other funds in that same IRA I can use them to pay...but pay I must...and if it is 100% TSLA...well I gotta sell.
No, it doesn't go like that.

Reactions: Tigerkc
The solution now seems obvious. Tesla should buy out their competitors and then just shut them down. Boom. Only Teslas exist. 100% market share and stock does another 10x. :D.
Ok, somebody please tweet this idea to Elon. The next time any stealership-funded politicians says that Tesla can’t sell cars in their state.....well... say bye bye to all those stealerships.:D

Reactions: Nocturnal