Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it takes more than a day to make a car from start to finish. (stamping, casting, body-in-white, painting, general assembly, etc.)

If cars roll off the line today that would make me think there was no refresh.

So I will say, the source I know that works at Tesla (who did say they reached their Q4 delivery targets a couple weeks back and that info was slightly off. It seems like he was only talking for his specific region now............so take this however you want).

He mentioned he was going to be ordering a S or X in the next week or two. My response to him was "Exactly what version of the S/X are you getting??? ;)" His response was “....”.

Edit: Apparently I can't put the "Sealed lips smiley face" on here.....but that was his response. This exchange was on Friday

The point of the large castings is to reduce the need for welding multiple stampings together, i.e. reduce manufacturing complexity. A cast part doesn’t have the necessary surface finish for an outer panel, nor is it needed, as most body panels are single stampings.

They'd do it for different reasons. Could be Energy, Time to Market, TPT, or Floorspace... I'm just guessing which is my point, we all are unless we work at Tesla. Yes casting is useful as you point out. But that's it? This is a new process still evolving I'm certain.

• Disagree
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'm becoming uncomfortable with Charles Schwab's politics and looking for another brokerage. I already have accounts at Vanguard and Fidelity, never dipped into options trading (despite reading this thread daily), more HODL. Most of my holdings are TSLA, ARKX with some still in SP500's. Does anyone feel strongly about their brokerage firms?
I have used all three and have no concerns regarding any of them.

They'd do it for different reasons. Could be Energy, Time to Market, TPT, or Floorspace... I'm just guessing which is my point, we all are unless we work at Tesla. Yes casting is useful as you point out. But that's it? This is a new process still evolving I'm certain.
Check this footage of Tesla’s stamping press in action, starting at 2:32, to get an idea of how fast a stamping press can produce panels. For reference, the Gigacasting press produces a large casting every 5 minutes or so. It would be faster for less complex, smaller parts, but still it would be minutes rather than seconds. This is on top of the reasons I provided above.

if, for the sake of argument, we assume a Model S / X refresh is eminent, anyone have insight into how it would be announced? It doesn't seem like this is going to be a big enough deal warrant a livestream, let alone an in-person event. So, what, a press release? Hopefully at least some video footage? As someone with a Plaid S on order, I am extremely excited to find out details! (even though my expectation is that the exterior changes will be minimal)

Reactions: phantasms
Harmon CEO on Transportation:

"Can you imagine gaming... immersive gaming coming into the car?"

I just had to share this. Another Apple-like story in the making? Holy Hyundai Batman!

From Squawk Alley, Harmon CEO, former COO. Bought by Samsung in 2017. Topic was "Audio Innovation and CES."

OT (100%)
A 2 door hatchback would get my love. I drove a Datsun 240Z many road trips.

I hope that a Chinese made smaller Tesla would be sold in Europe too. I'd love one for myself!

Or will China make a tiny Tesla and leave the somewhat larger hot hatch to Germany?

Ps! I'm a long time lurker finally with an account. This thread has been very helpful in me reaching FIRE status. Thank you all!

Unknown the time frame. Not enough information. There are ‘off the shelf’ bending presses but that doesn’t mean they’d work. If something has to be designed and built for a particular use, like bending large, heavy, body side stainless steel panels - that’s not an off the shelf item, that’s custom order and build. That means extra time to design, validate, build and then validate again. Computer sims need to be run, hand trials, press programming, robotics, clamping, end of arm tooling etc... and then a lot of praying that something wasn’t missed and that you turn it on and it just works. Hint: it doesn’t just work, pretty much ever. So then there’s weeks to months more to getting it working to designed optimal speed.

None of this is ‘easy’, which is not to say it’s impossible. But it’s not drive to Walmart, get a cart and just grab things off shelves, voila done. Much of what Tesla is doing has never been done before. Even the aluminum body panels for their vehicles often have pushed the envelope of the formability of the material. Many panels on their vehicles have multiple directional curvature and very deep draws with tight radii. This is lost on most people. Now stainless panels and huge casting machines — bunch of crazies.

Why do I get that bait-and-switch feeling when reading this...

Check this footage of Tesla’s stamping press in action, starting at 2:32, to get an idea of how fast a stamping press can produce panels. For reference, the Gigacasting press produces a large casting every 5 minutes or so. It would be faster for less complex, smaller parts, but still it would be minutes rather than seconds. This is on top of the reasons I provided above.

Uncle. There is no other way to make these clearly. But all good points and great video! Thx.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I think it takes more than a day to make a car from start to finish. (stamping, casting, body-in-white, painting, general assembly, etc.)

If cars roll off the line today that would make me think there was no refresh.

Yeah, but only if the line was starting empty. If they tested each station, the pipeline should be full of good work in progress.

Dipped into margin for the first time to get some of this dip. :eek: 10 shiny new shares.

This was the last thing I wanted to see just now lol...I’ve been perfectly content with accumulating shares (2-3 a month) for the last little while, but the price action today makes me want to make the same move into the dark side...sigh. Give me strength Elon lol

I'm pretty sure they have the giga-casting process down to a little under 2 minutes. Aluminum engine blocks take about two minutes and they have more thickness.

I've just sold ~2000 shares of Tesla today. I believe our country was on the brink of destruction. Elon's support of free speech, which justified the killing of 5 people and the execution of VP Pence and Nancy Pelosi ends 8 great years as a Tesla share holder. I still have covered calls I need to hold and will allow those to exercise.
I likely cost myself $50,000 to $100,000 today and millions in additional profits. I love my country.

My last post will likely be deleted. Good luck and godspeed to you all. I pray for our country and those who have died to protect it and I pray it survives the coming days.