Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was the last thing I wanted to see just now lol...I’ve been perfectly content with accumulating shares (2-3 a month) for the last little while, but the price action today makes me want to make the same move into the dark side...sigh. Give me strength Elon lol

I have just barely started to use margin myself. Mostly so I could sell naked puts (I greatly enjoy getting paid to buy TSLA), but yeah, this price action is too good to let up.

I kept it low, since I have no experience with interest on margin, and I plan on selling these shares later in the week for a small profit. Turn those into real shares to HODL.

PS: come to the dark side.

• Funny
Reactions: Chenkers and Phobi
So by dipping into margin, you get charged interest on the amount you used right? Forgive me as I am new to trading and not too familiar with margin. What is the rate and how often do you get charged interest? TIA

The scary thing for me would be if you dip into margin to catch a falling knife, then you get margin called because of the dropping price. Not investing advice, blah blah blah...

I've just sold ~2000 shares of Tesla today. I believe our country was on the brink of destruction. Elon's support of free speech, which justified the killing of 5 people and the execution of VP Pence and Nancy Pelosi ends 8 great years as a Tesla share holder. I still have covered calls I need to hold and will allow those to exercise.
I likely cost myself $50,000 to $100,000 today and millions in additional profits. I love my country.

My last post will likely be deleted. Good luck and godspeed to you all. I pray for our country and those who have died to protect it and I pray it survives the coming days.

Did I miss something?

So by dipping into margin, you get charged interest on the amount you used right? Forgive me as I am new to trading and not too familiar with margin. What is the rate and how often do you get charged interest? TIA

From what I understand, yes. When you buy shares on margin, you're charged interest on the amount you are using, just like any loan.

However, you can also use margin for selling puts, and that you only get charged interest if the shares are assigned. So the sell price you get to pocket without interest at all.

I made a KISS options thread in the main forum where I try to break down the option world (may have to search for it). I think it's a good start to understanding options, but it doesn't cover everything. There are a lot of youtube videos out there that also explain terms, like the Greeks.

• Helpful
Reactions: M. Thompson
Yeah, but only if the line was starting empty. If they tested each station, the pipeline should be full of good work in progress.
Tried to find some info on the length of time it takes to make a car and Toyota state it is around 18 hours, so @MP3Mike is correct from that perspective. However I would expect the testing that @mongo refers to and this should shorten the time to complete the first cars. I will try to be patient and wait to later this week. Perhaps there will be some leaks (or even an official statement) soon :)

From what I understand, yes. When you buy shares on margin, you're charged interest on the amount you are using, just like any loan.

However, you can also use margin for selling puts, and that you only get charged interest if the shares are assigned. So the sell price you get to pocket without interest at all.

I made a KISS options thread in the main forum where I try to break down the option world (may have to search for it). I think it's a good start to understanding options, but it doesn't cover everything. There are a lot of youtube videos out there that also explain terms, like the Greeks.

I used TD and also used $10k margin to buy the dip. If i calculate right, the interest rate is 9.5% so 10000 x .095 /360 = 2.63 daily interest. Is that right?

• Informative
Reactions: Don TLR
I used TD and also used $10k margin to buy the dip. If i calculate right, the interest rate is 9.5% so 10000 x .095 /360 = 2.63 daily interest. Is that right?

I also have TDA, and I have no idea. :p Hahah, that's why I only bought 10 shares, and plan on selling once the SP reaches $900, or above $830 by the close of the week. ;) Allows me to test the actual, daily interest rate of margin use in a simple way I can understand. And if the SP doesn't go above $830 this week, then onto the next, with possible earnings and that run up, to catch the $900 then.

Reactions: corduroy
I've just sold ~2000 shares of Tesla today. I believe our country was on the brink of destruction. Elon's support of free speech, which justified the killing of 5 people and the execution of VP Pence and Nancy Pelosi ends 8 great years as a Tesla share holder. I still have covered calls I need to hold and will allow those to exercise.
I likely cost myself $50,000 to $100,000 today and millions in additional profits. I love my country.

My last post will likely be deleted. Good luck and godspeed to you all. I pray for our country and those who have died to protect it and I pray it survives the coming days.

That's one heck of a tax bill!!!!!

I also have TDA, and I have no idea. :p Hahah, that's why I only bought 10 shares, and plan on selling once the SP reaches $900, or above $830 by the close of the week. ;) Allows me to test the actual, daily interest rate of margin use in a simple way I can understand. And if the SP doesn't go above $830 this week, then onto the next, with possible earnings and that run up, to catch the $900 then.

Haha, we did the exact same thing!!!

Reactions: LN1_Casey

Just curious: is it about this?
757E5ED8-1AB3-4373-A9A8-75EB5635E07C.jpeg

I bought a few shares at $830. I think it is healthy for the share price to consolidate at a couple of price points before heading to new ATH territory.

So I'm back into accumulation mode. Hold to $1T.

$1T is just a checkpoint. I think that big funds will continue to accumulate Tesla up to a neighborhood of a trillion market cap, or about $1044/share.

Through much of 2020 I was diversifying into other high growth potential stocks. I think this part of my portfolio is built up enough to grow itself. It very well could out-perform Tesla for the next year or two. So I'll give Tesla the chance to compete without shaving off little gains.

I do think Tesla will hit $1T in a year or two. It only needs to grow about 27% from $825/share. Best of luck HODLing to $1T.

Elon was always slightly autistic. I think he's got his heart in the right place. Don't overreact - he's quite good at technology development, first principles thinking, problem solving, and running companies.

How come no one is bragging on how many yearly income they lost this morning. It was a record for me ;)

The way I look at it is that I have not actually lost anything today just as I have not gained anything last week, because I did not make any trades on my TSLA, so I still have the same number of shares as I finished last year. These theoretical losses and gains only become real when you close your position. In the same logic, claiming that Elon is the richest man is misleading too. If he were to try to cash out, that transaction would make the SP plummet so he would only get a fraction of this theoretical value realized.

I mean, I love my country too. I fought for it and have friends that died for it...but selling all your Tesla because Elon supports free speech? (Not even sure what you're referring to that is controversial). Not sure I understand the reasoning here. You are of course free to do whatever you wish, but something tells me you will regret this decision.

Can someone translate this for me? I can't even tell which extreme this is coming from.