Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like Berlin is further along than I thought, maybe they will start producing vehicles this summer... I am thinking Tesla will announce 1M vehicles target.

That's not a maybe, a few pages upthread someone mentioned a supplier in Berlin setting up for a June production start.

I wouldn't expect Tesla to make the 1M announcement, to keep in line with the welcome new habit of sandbagging such numbers. However, that is likely the number they are shooting for internally. Elon mentioned they could deliver 850K to 1M for 2021 in the Q3 earnings call.

Last edited:
I'm starting to notice gaps between the panel gap posts. Sometimes there are 5 messages in between (5mm), sometimes there are 4 messages in between panel gap posts (4mm). This panel gap posting gap inconsistency is quite concerning
Also, gaps between panel gap posts are inconsistent. Sometimes gaps between posts are 30 seconds, and sometimes gaps between posts are 2 mins apart. Very inconsistent.

The only thing pissing me off about panel gaps is everyone I know talking about it to me. I don’t care about panel gaps, it’s probably a minority of cars, however it’s gives ammunition’s for Tesla haters, shorters and FUDsters.

if they correct it, then this chapter is close once and for all.
You should ask them their thoughts and how they feel about “ Ozone layer gaps “ courtesy of ICE cars .

Sandy mentioned in a recent investor meeting that he sold all of his tesla stock to invest in “a different ev stock”. I hope he doesn’t go the way of electrek in this regard.

Sandy is working directly with Arcimoto to set up their manufacturing lines, so I'm pretty sure he sold his TSLA to invest in FUV to avoid any conflicts of interest. He'll do okay, he took his profits and Arcimoto is going to do well in the EV space over the next few years.

That's not a maybe, a few pages upthread someone mentioned a supplier in Berlin setting up for a June production start.

I wouldn't expect Tesla to make the 1M announcement, to keep in line with the welcome new habit of sandbagging such numbers. However, that is likely the number they are shooting for internally. Elon mentioned they could deliver 850K to 1M for 2021 in the Q3 earnings call.

Wouldn’t that be a hoot to be producing cars before they’ve even received the final building permits? ROTFL

Norway's in Europe, but not in the EU, I suspect that's the differentiator.

If I try and buy shares in any of the ARK funds, I get the message: "Your order cannot be placed. It is not possible to buy any instrument for which the issuer has not provided the legally required Key Information Document (KID)"

So I would suspect this is an EU requirement that hasn't been fulfilled. Whether this is possible to be done and ARK just have bothered, I don't know.
I asked ARK about this. They replied:

Thank you for your interest in ARK Invest!

All ARK exchange traded funds are listed on US Exchanges. Three of our actively managed ETFs (ARKF, ARKK, ARKW) are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). The index ETFs (PRNT, IZRL) and two of our actively managed ETFs (ARKQ & ARKG) are listed on the Cboe BZX Exchange.

To invest from abroad, we recommend contacting an advisor or investment firm that has access to these exchanges. If you haven’t done so already, we invite you to download our fund prospectus, fund factsheets and performance reports here.

ARK is aware of the EU requirements. Currently, we do not have a KIID, however, we are working with outside counsel to analyze European regulation. We will update you when we’ve come to a resolution. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to provide more clarity to European investors in the near future.

If you’re an individual investor, please visit ark-funds.com and find out more about ARK's ETFs. Any information needed to identify ARK ETFs can be found on the ARK ETF’s respective web page: ARKF, ARKQ, ARKW, ARKG, ARKK, PRNT, IZRL.

ARK's ETFs are a great way to gain exposure to our strategies. All fund materials, including performance information, factsheets, prospectuses, etc. are available in the Investor Material section. (An investor should consult a financial professional, an attorney, or tax professional regarding the investor’s specific situation).

Our ETFs are available through various channels including broker-dealers, investment advisers, and other financial services firms, including Schwab, UBS, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, LPL, RBC, Stifel, Raymond James, Fidelity, E-Trade, Envestnet, TD Ameritrade, Ameriprise, Hightower, Pershing, Benjamin F. Edwards, Wells Fargo, Commonwealth, Robinhood, and more. (Please note that you cannot buy ARK ETFs directly through ARK Invest).

Well, let's disregard the ground work then and actually look at how many days since the first actual construction of the factories started on the sites. Not leveling land or even digging holes but actual construction material being used.

The first poured concrete in Austin was on Sept 25, 2020. Today that is 113 days ago.

The start date in Berlin was June 5. 113 days from then was actually September 26.

Here's a video from Berlin shot on September 25.

No matter how you look at that Berlin was way ahead then compared to where Austin is now.
Comparing Giga Berlin and Giga Austin is difficult. For example: There is a railway right next to Giga Berlin. Rail is very effective for hauling a material to a building site. So Berlin should be ahead.
On the other hand: What, given differences re. sites, re. ground works and building methods and so forth should be a good measure for construction speed?
Perhaps the best measure is: When does the first car leave the factory? For that we are still waiting.
Perhaps naming the winner is premature.

Elon test drove/QC’d one of my model 3’s after sleeping in the factory in April 2018 and it still has panel gaps!

Did Elon drive my car?

Car was paired to his phone, navigation to Open AI in SF, and then to the Executive Air terminal in SF. All 1 month before I took delivery in May 2018. It’s still in the Navigation. The car was delivered in NJ.
@Stretch2727, in the link to your thread you posted, on May 22nd, 2018 you wrote your "car is Pearl White. 19" Sport Wheels.
Perfect fit and finish. Not one cosmetic defect that I can find. The paint and gaps are flawless."

Did Elon drive my car?
So which is it, unacceptable panel gaps, or within reasonable tolerances?
My Model 3 delivered June 2018 (VIN...300XX) is as perfect as I can tell, and all this OT talk of quality control on panel gaps is overblown. Sorry, but I don't get all the fuss. I am not saying every Tesla is perfect, nor any vehicle from other manufacturers. If you order a Tesla and the gaps are unacceptable to your satisfaction at time of delivery, simply reject the vehicle on those grounds until you are satisfied. Case closed. Move along.

EDIT. Correct link provided.

I asked ARK about this. They replied:

Thank you for your interest in ARK Invest!

All ARK exchange traded funds are listed on US Exchanges. Three of our actively managed ETFs (ARKF, ARKK, ARKW) are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). The index ETFs (PRNT, IZRL) and two of our actively managed ETFs (ARKQ & ARKG) are listed on the Cboe BZX Exchange.

To invest from abroad, we recommend contacting an advisor or investment firm that has access to these exchanges. If you haven’t done so already, we invite you to download our fund prospectus, fund factsheets and performance reports here.

ARK is aware of the EU requirements. Currently, we do not have a KIID, however, we are working with outside counsel to analyze European regulation. We will update you when we’ve come to a resolution. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to provide more clarity to European investors in the near future.

If you’re an individual investor, please visit ark-funds.com and find out more about ARK's ETFs. Any information needed to identify ARK ETFs can be found on the ARK ETF’s respective web page: ARKF, ARKQ, ARKW, ARKG, ARKK, PRNT, IZRL.

ARK's ETFs are a great way to gain exposure to our strategies. All fund materials, including performance information, factsheets, prospectuses, etc. are available in the Investor Material section. (An investor should consult a financial professional, an attorney, or tax professional regarding the investor’s specific situation).

Our ETFs are available through various channels including broker-dealers, investment advisers, and other financial services firms, including Schwab, UBS, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, LPL, RBC, Stifel, Raymond James, Fidelity, E-Trade, Envestnet, TD Ameritrade, Ameriprise, Hightower, Pershing, Benjamin F. Edwards, Wells Fargo, Commonwealth, Robinhood, and more. (Please note that you cannot buy ARK ETFs directly through ARK Invest).

Any chance now that the UK has separated from the EU that this could be implemented relatively soon?

Disagree. There is no "guy who put the door on" because it's done by robot. And the quality control is done by camera. And it's set to let by what Sandy objected to because it's good enough.

I think the only thing that needs discussion here is what Tesla should do with cars that aren't good enough. Rework is too slow and expensive. Anything that slows down the line costs too much in forgone production. Maybe they should sell them as "scratch and dent" discount items? Maybe they should go to employees at a special price? Maybe they should go to the crusher? Maybe they should turn them into artwork?
"How in the World" did you not state the best use of such vehicles?
Where is Starman? Track Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster in Space! · Where is Starman?

(And put the buttholes that can't fix the issue, however it needs to be fixed, in the seats.)

Any chance now that the UK has separated from the EU that this could be implemented relatively soon?
I received that reply Wednesday so nothing appears to have changed with ARK’s approach post-Brexit. I’ve no idea whether or not anything will change within the UK allowing the funds to be offered.

There were some suggestions a couple of pages back about using options to effectively trade ARK ETFs long. Unfortunately even those ideas wouldn’t be possible within an ISA or SIPP as far as I can tell.