Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The advantage of unions...

Large construction projects, like the Reno Gigafactory require significant manpower fluctuations throughout their different building phases. Union construction companies have the ability (flexibility) to call the union halls and supply trained and qualified craftsmen to fit the ebb and flow of these job requirements. The advantage to the Union company is a tremendous employee pool to draw from. The advantage to the Union worker, that may work for numerous companies, is that their benefits are administered through the Union Hall.

It is incorrect to consider Tesla as a non-union company. While many Tesla workers are in fact non-union, much of Tesla’s construction has been performed by Union tradesmen. As a stockholder, I’m satisfied with the results at the Reno Gigafactory.

I retired back in September with a Union administered pension. The icing on my retirement cake was investing in Tesla. Lots and lots of icing.
Not sure this is the time or thread but just want to note that this is not how unions in Europe (and I believe Asia) works. At all. So keep that in mind.

Reactions: petit_bateau
If anyone wants a perspective from the Street, read Morgan Stanley's initial thoughts on the results before the call. The drop after hours is due to the gross margin (ex ZEV) miss. 20.7% actual vs. consensus of 24.2%.

upload_2021-1-27_14-59-59.png

upload_2021-1-27_15-0-34.png

Cannot believe all these analysts clamoring for a number in terms of guidance.
Why cannot these people just read between the lines.?

• Elon Q3 call - we could probably do something in the ballpark of the 800k number by Pierre
  • Elon a while ago : we have the first class problem of demand surpassing production
  • Tesla Q4 release: Installed capacity for 1.05m cars.

Not sure I blame Zack, Elon, and the board thinking - why guide for 850k and set a target. I would safely wager Tesla does over 900k vehicles in 2021.

Also, who knows with increased guidance that beats estimates.... would it cause further runup in share prices (no matter what they say - the share price is something the board has to think about in the overall grand scheme of things based on SBC, RSUs etc)

Underpromise, Overdeliver.

FCF of 1.9B and energy growth are two parameters that should make every long term TSLA investor glad. This is a brilliant quarter - yes, there are a couple of things that need to be looked at ( gross margins but that is after a 267m allowance for Elon's compensation package) - but the lack of a number for guidance is so shortsighted.

I don't drive using the 10-2 or 9-3 positions. Just the 10. It's a comfortable place to rest and grip with my left hand; don't need the right hand.

Unfortunately, that won't be possible with the new Model S steering wheel. I'm very interested in the feedback when these deliver.
Maybe you just speak to your new S or X and say "whole wheel deal" and the top and bottom pop out! Plus lunch!

I find the declining gross margin worrisome. It's quite substantial actually.
i'm thinking this might be a significant part of it in which case lower margin for Q4 might not be as important as it might first seem:

These include a portion of Q4 SBC charges, vehicle warranty accruals, additional supply chain costs, Model S and Model X changeover costs and other items

The likely answer is that Tesla is aggressively seeking to grow TAM at the expense of profit.

While I think most of us get that.....I was personally expecting gross margins to stay somewhat stable because the Model Y was continuing to be a larger part of sales in the US. I think someone replied when I first pointed out gross margins that there were price cuts so lower ASP.....which of course. But I don't remember the price cuts being THAT large....especially when you have a higher margin vehicle like the Model Y having a bigger mix of your sales.

I also was expecting Tesla to make more cost improvements from things like the GigaPress to reduce cost of goods/labor. Overall as others have said, the drop in gross margins needs to be addressed by Zach.