Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All in all...great numbers and future roadmap...don't mind the drop at all. Where are the /wallstbets people to push $TSLA back up?? :)
What's your hurry? This initial phase will begin to unwind once max pain is truly dropped on the shorts at options expiration either this Friday or perhaps many Fridays into the future. Where do you think all those new-found billions will be going once they're all tallied up? TSLA is no doubt the top destination.

As noted today, there's also still a massive short position in TSLA. This guys will have a good laugh dumping the spoils of a raid on stocks with the most shares shorted into the stock with the highest short by dollar amount. Might even be enough to have a material impact if timed correctly.

Glorious times.

What's your hurry? This initial phase will begin to unwind once max pain is truly dropped on the shorts at options expiration either this Friday or perhaps many Fridays into the future. Where do you think all those new-found billions will be going once they're all tallied up? TSLA is no doubt the top destination.

As noted today, there's also still a massive short position in TSLA. This guys will have a good laugh dumping the spoils of a raid on stocks with the most shares shorted into the stock with the highest short by dollar amount. Might even be enough to have a material impact if timed correctly.

Glorious times.
No hurry...the show has only just begun...we all know how this story will end :)

While I think most of us get that.....I was personally expecting gross margins to stay somewhat stable because the Model Y was continuing to be a larger part of sales in the US. I think someone replied when I first pointed out gross margins that there were price cuts so lower ASP.....which of course. But I don't remember the price cuts being THAT large....especially when you have a higher margin vehicle like the Model Y having a bigger mix of your sales.

I also was expecting Tesla to make more cost improvements from things like the GigaPress to reduce cost of goods/labor. Overall as others have said, the drop in gross margins needs to be addressed by Zach.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully there’s a good explain the call. It just doesn’t makes sense with more Model Ys being delivered.

Margins are artificially low because a lot of those cars will add FSD in the future, plus current FSD isn't being anywhere near fully recognized yet. Margins are way higher than they appear.

That doesn't explain the drop in gross margins from Q3 to Q4. We're not talking about Tesla's gross margins overall in terms of where it should or shouldn't be....we're talking about what happened from Q3 to Q4

Hey, where'd you get this? The NASDAQ source says "Data not available":

Tesla, Inc. Common Stock (TSLA) Short Interest

Cheers!

Really? I clicked your link and got this:

TSLA short Interest as of 1-15-2021.png

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Just noticed this. Note that the phrasing indicates that the factory will expand, while we've seen a couple of further buildings get started in Shanghai Tesla hasn't really commented on those and they could potentially have been a part of phase 2 all along. The wording here, at least to me that those buildings and potentially more coming is part of a phase 3.

---
We are currently building Model Y capacity at Gigafactory Berlin and Gigafactory Texas and remain on track to start deliveries from each location in 2021. Gigafactory Shanghai will continue to expand further through the course of the year. Tesla Semi deliveries will also begin in 2021.
---

With his politician hat, he is speaking to US voters who are in unions. He really can't discriminate against a manufacturer whose workers are so content that they choose not to be unionized. He should be pleased when unionization is unnecessary. In any event, I don't believe that a union requirement can be placed in a federal "request for proposal" from suppliers such as automakers.
Prevailing wage strategies have been used by unions and governments for decades.

“In government contracting, a prevailing wage is defined as the hourly wage, usual benefits and overtime, paid to the majority of workers, laborers, and mechanics within a particular area. This is usually the union wage.”

But here in the 21st century, wouldn't a federal "request for proposal" from automakers have to factor in stock options as part of a "prevailing wage" for common workers?

Last edited:
That doesn't explain the drop in gross margins from Q3 to Q4. We're not talking about Tesla's gross margins overall in terms of where it should or shouldn't be....we're talking about what happened from Q3 to Q4

Unless you think Tesla somehow became worse at making cars or that they'll be lowering prices this aggressively forever, I wouldn't worry about it. All that matters is that the cars are getting better, and cheaper to make. That's a winning formula for margins over time.

Unless you think Tesla somehow became worse at making cars or that they'll be lowering prices this aggressively forever, I wouldn't worry about it. All that matters is that the cars are getting better, and cheaper to make. That's a winning formula for margins over time.

Not worried one bit about Tesla :D

But as a investor of any company, there should be explanations for something like this