Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Benzinga - 19 minutes ago: Touchscreen Gear OK - NHTSA

Quote from NHTSA:

A properly configured transmission shift control operated by means of a touch screen interface would not violate federal motor vehicle safety standards. Also, Tesla has certified compliance with all applicable safety standards. At this time, there are no known compliance concerns related to the shift control configuration.

Earlier this week I bought a share, as I couldn't pass up a sale like that. But, I've been losing sleep ever since making that buy. I wake up in the night, tossing and turning, and I just haven't been able to get past the mental anguish that hangs over me like a cloud, all over something I noticed only after having made that purchase.

You see, after adding the fresh picked chair to a spreadsheet I keep, it was only then I realized how the last two digits of my total number of TSLA chairs ended in 24. That's not a very "round" number as it isn't an easy multiple of either five or ten. I know there are others who understand just how vexing this can be, once you've noticed it. It has been debilitating for me. To add further disappointment to the ordeal, over the past couple of days I drove through McGregor, Texas twice and didn't see a single rocket firing. Even after the GPS messed up and routed me practically to the SpaceX gate, all I got to see was an active school zone, slowing me from getting back on the highway.

It has been just one thing after another this week.

Today, despite how I've become weak and tired from the strain this has caused, I went sifting through the lint in the couch and scraped up enough loose change to remedy this awful oversight on my part, and so I've added 1 more share today.

I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders and everything is now right with the world again. I'm going to see if I can put a cherry on top with a rocket launch this afternoon that might encourage the SP to follow suit and aim for the stars.

Or, at least 2daMoon.

Guys and gals, I strongly believe in LEAPS and HODL. However, the temptation to buy a chunk of Jan 2022 $900 calls is getting strong. If at some point TSLA drops to $550 or less, I'm doing it.

Agree or disagree?
Agree, I bought 10X April 30th 2021 calls for $1.52 and will be buying more + Jan 2022 LEAPs if we hit the next resistance band around $580

Longer term US treasury rates have been ticking upward for the last two hours, with a significant jump during the last half hour. This weighs on net present value calculations for growth stocks like TSLA. Algobots react automatically.

Manipulating the bond market seems like a great way to shake the tree on the growth stocks you got left out of, especially if you can time it to bad news like the Texas energy fiasco or a chip shortage. Are we to believe everyone is THAT fidgety about inflation and that’s all it is?

How difficult would it be to use the "tax on fuel" model by incorporating a tax into the purchase of electricity via EV charger?

It should be easy enough for chargers to report to the power provider, then the user doesn't get hit with an annual or quarterly bill if it is rolled into their electricity bill, whether at home or at the charger station on the road.

not sure that would work as most people charge at home, not through superchargers, and for me, even if they tried to tax my increase, how would they know what the added electricity would be, it could come from So many different factors in the house.

LOL. Just look at 2020 Feb to July TSLA price action. Same thing. Just rinse and repeat me thinks.
On this day last year...

The runup on leaks over the next few weeks will have FOMO acting in no time. Pattern is similar to last year so far with the usual FUD beatings.
Good time to buy, but risky too. P&D could hurt a bit, but short lived when the Tesla counterpunch hits. And I can't wait, it will be amazing!

1616781356197.png

In general a debt upgrade does not move equities much, unless the upgrade makes the debt into investment grade. Given the TSLA quick ratio and general liquidity, I do not expect upgrades to mean much until then.
Frankly, there are not many precedent for a cash generating high growth company. Investment analysts do NOT reward innovation, so they tend to ignore positive moves they do not understand. Remember, these are not nearly as refined as the world wants to believe them to be.

I generally agree. In my experience in the corporate world and dealing with rating agencies, upgrades take a long time even if you have earned it. Upgrades can be useful for better rates and terms on debt, but that doesn't mean much to Tesla right now.

I have been watching with amazement how MM's appear to once again be successfully steering the share price of TSLA towards the long term support line and a point of major movement either up or down just prior to the end of the quarter. Those of us following TSLA TA for years have seen this playbook many times in the past.........where the share price 'coincidentally' ends up on a longer term support/resistance line just before the announcement of deliveries and/or just before a quarterly earnings call, and thus that 'news' has a magnified effect on TSLA share price movement after hours and the following week.

Perhaps more interesting is that this time, as a result of a rather steady climb in stock price over the last year, it appears that MM's will enjoy the added volatility of landing the share price on a 1-year trend line instead of just a 1-month or 3-month trendline. That would be a target price for the MM's of roughly 600 when we start getting some news regarding Q1 results.

View attachment 647984

What we have also observed from the past is that when a 6-month (or longer) trendline is broken we should expect at least a 20% move in share price - and this will happen very quickly. That should put us in the mid-700's or back near 500 in a flash.....and then a continued drift in that direction until Big Money is satisfied that they are ready to make money in the other direction.....just a word of caution to any newer TSLA investors playing the very short game with options. Speed bumps ahead!

It should not be overlooked that the 'recommended' Stop-Loss price at the moment is $516.90 - and that this Stop-Loss recommendation is higher than a 20% drop from a share price of $600

And it should be noted how many time the stock price is moved just beyond the recommended Stop-Loss price to clean out the accounts of share holders that still believe that the game is not rigged against them

I am watching this closely in both directions, but selfishly looking for an opportunity for TSLA to break below the 1-year trendline long enough and far enough to roll some more shares from the IRA to the Roth account before we reverse direction as the infrastructure bill rolls out. I would encourage anyone with an IRA to prep for such an opportunity (complete your Roth IRA Conversion form now and have it in-hand, ready to send to your brokerage at a moments notice), because it is often easy to get the short term blinders on when the share price is tumbling and miss out on the longer term opportunity to save bigtime on taxes down the road - especially if we get the chance to roll shares into our Roth accounts in the next few weeks and then have the share price much, much higher before we have to pay taxes for that rollover a year from now. This could be sweet!
This is an interesting concept worth watching. What gives the market makers the best profits, though, is not a huge move but is instead a rather benign move when big moves are expected. I realize that market makers would like to see lots of options bought for the Q1 Production and Delivery Report and Earnings Report. Rather than letting the stock price run up 20% or down 20%, it seems to me that the Q1 results might be ambiguous enough to allow manipulations to minimize the movement up or down if, for example, deliveries come in at 168K or 170K. There's plenty of evidence that such a result has already been priced in. What I do know is that an ambiguous situation (is the lower expectations of Q1 results already priced in?) can be a great setup for manipulations because whatever way the stock price goes, many investors are ready to say, "well yeah, I guess I should have seen this coming". In such an environment, with the best interest of the market makers served by as small a price change as possible, wouldn't they be working to dampen the swing, one way or the other, when results are announced?