Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California increasing demand for Tesla Semi...

"Southern California is home to the nation’s largest concentration of warehouses — a hub of thousands of mammoth structures, served by belching diesel trucks, that help feed America’s booming appetite for online shopping and also contribute to the worst air pollution in the country.

On Friday, hundreds of residents flocked to an online hearing to support a landmark rule that would force the warehouses to clean up their emissions. The new rule, affecting about 3,000 of the largest warehouses in the area used by Amazon and other retailers, requires operators to slash emissions from the trucks that serve the site or take other measures to improve air quality.
The changes could also help spur a more rapid electrification of freight tucks, a significant step toward reducing emissions from transportation, the country’s biggest source of planet-warming greenhouse gases."

Since Gordon Johnson is perhaps perplexingly the latest pre-eminent avatar for FUD-y analysis on Tesla, it maybe useful to ponder exactly how hollow his credentials ring - a thread on twitter. A quote from the thread: "This person is front and center on CNBC every other day, seemingly. Yet, if I look for evidence on why he is considered an expert, I find only shadows and rubble. Hard to imagine people are paying money for his research."

Thanks for posting this. I have a ton of respect for Chaim and started using his advisory service a few months ago. Are you by chance using his service?
Currently ‘kicking the tires’, as he put it. He is very cautious with his bullishness in spite of his PT’s that are multiples above the current SP

I felt that sharing his video here would be my way of showing appreciation to his channel. I know many members here have multiple mil. $ accounts and would benefit more than I do from his firms’ services.

I’m already 100% TSLA in my personal account; so I just watch and cheer from the sidelines! I love all of my chairs like my children, so I wouldn’t dare trade one away for fear that I could never get one back 🤣

I was very surprise last week that TSLA did not bounce due to the return of four Astronauts via SpaceX Dragon on May 2nd and the successful landing of Starship SN-15 on May 5th. My take was that investors were expecting another 420 event (i.e. Joe Rogan, or "Am considering taking Tesla private...") and were holding off buying for fear of capitulation due to Elon hosting SNL. Ford, VW and Lucid were expecting a train wreck when they chose to advertise on SNL and instead found Elon on a winning streak. Elon did a fantastic job resulting in the best of outcomes possible for a show of that caliber.

For anyone that has read books on Elon Musk (and Nikola Tesla) it is I common knowledge that Elon (and Nikola) is (was) aflicted with Asperger Syndrome (AS). Glad Elon set the record straight on SNL for the masses.

Typically I would not predict short term movement of TSLA, however my guess is that TSLA will be rallying for the coming weeks based on positive momentum of Elon's SNL performance (ironic as it really has no business affecting the valuation of Tesla) and positive catalysts too many too mention. Also, every time I'm out driving, I see more and more Teslas on the road. Good for Tesla. Good for the planet. Good for us all, not just Tesla shareholders.

I was very surprise last week that TSLA did not bounce due to the return of four Astronauts via SpaceX Dragon on May 2nd and the successful landing of Starship SN-15 on May 5th. My take was that investors were expecting another 420 event (i.e. Joe Rogan, or "Am considering taking Tesla private...") and were holding off buying for fear of capitulation due to Elon hosting SNL. Ford, VW and Lucid were expecting a train wreck when they chose to advertise on SNL and instead found Elon on a winning streak. Elon did a fantastic job resulting in the best of outcomes possible for a show of that caliber.

For anyone that has read books on Elon Musk (and Nikola Tesla) it is I common knowledge that Elon (and Nikola) is (was) aflicted with Asperger Syndrome (AS). Glad Elon set the record straight on SNL for the masses.

Typically I would not predict short term movement of TSLA, however my guess is that TSLA will be rallying for the coming weeks based on positive momentum of Elon's SNL performance (ironic as it really has no business affecting the valuation of Tesla) and positive catalysts too many too mention. Also, every time I'm out driving, I see more and more Teslas on the road. Good for Tesla. Good for the planet. Good for us all, not just Tesla shareholders.
Even if miracles were performed consistently they would no longer be miracles

Cream puff SNL review from Reuters

I suffer from Live TV Accident Worry Syndrome so I couldn't watch it 🤣

Can't watch the Oscars for the same reason.

Anyhow, it looks like the ratings were good, which means advertising dollars, which means the media will be hard-pressed to find a reason to complain, since, what they primarily care about is their ad dollars.

The Elon episode gathered a 2.7 rating for adults 18-49 which is what advertisers care about. The most recent original the show got a 1.5 rating for adults 18-49.

Ford, VW and Lucid were expecting a train wreck when they chose to advertise on SNL and instead found Elon on a winning streak. Elon did a fantastic job resulting in the best of outcomes possible for a show of that caliber.

I very much doubt Ford, VW, and Lucid marketing departments were expecting a train wreck.

They probably guessed there would be several million people watching that are open to buying an EV which could be advertised to for $100k-$300k per 30 second spot.

OT Weekend SNL comments:

I did not find Elon's Asperger's reveal all that important. For me, it was declaring the obvious.
He was stating a diagnosis/category under which his social behaviors can be understood by some.
His self-disclosure will be used by his proponents and detractors for their own purposes.

Elon's values, drive, and intelligence are not due to (or hindered by) his Asperger's diagnosis.
His accomplishments are not diminished or elevated by his Asperger's diagnosis.
"Asperger's" provides no explanation for why he chooses to suffer fools (as he does daily) in his goal to help mankind.

To use Malcolm Gladwell's term, he is an "outlier" (and a spectacularly positive one!)
This Elon Musk is a rare human being that we are seeing in our lifetime.
Frankly, I'm not convinced we deserve him.

enough said...

OT Weekend SNL comments:

I did not find Elon's Asperger's reveal all that important. For me, it was declaring the obvious.
He was stating a diagnosis/category under which his social behaviors can be understood by some.
His self-disclosure will be used by his proponents and detractors for their own purposes.

Elon's values, drive, and intelligence are not due to (or hindered by) his Asperger's diagnosis.
"Asperger's" provides no explanation for why he chooses to suffer fools (as he does daily) in his goal to help mankind.

To use Malcolm Gladwell's term, he is an "outlier" (and a spectacularly positive one!)

enough said...
The reveal was relevant only in a relatable sense, to make him seem human again. A lot of Elons hate emerge from people thinking of him being this egotistical billionaire who drains baby's blood to enrich himself.

In fact there are many people and news article today trying to do damage control as they are losing the narrative by saying "don't fall for his disability, it's probably not real and only wants your sympathy...he is still slave driving while his dad wire him blood money,".

Yes, he had a choice. But he sacrificed an easy life with no responsibility for one filled with responsibility. Because he felt it would be more meaningful to grab life by the horns and do something useful for humanity than to slack off and spend his wealth selfishly.

Everyone is doing what they "want" to be doing. That doesn't mean there is no such thing as a sacrifice.
A sacrifice for Elon would have been abandoning or never engaging in his current missions and settling instead for an
”easy” life.

Elon is hardwired for what he is doing. As much as he may have been stressed or suffered in some of the lean times with TSLA, his suffering would be immeasurably higher had he gone down the path of an easy life after his enrichment from Paypal. He would be suffering every day while watching the state of the world.

It is obvious to me that he loves every day of his life. He has been a main architect in real changes in the world for the better and has achieved legendary status while doing all this. Would that I could engage in or had the opportunity for such sacrifices. I am not made of the same stuff as Musk, and so must carry on in the typical fashion of a mortal. The same we basically all do.

Soooo when he's asked "What's it like to be Elon" and he replies.... "You wouldn't want to be me" That's what he had in mind for his future?
My feel on if he had to start over would he create Tesla again is "no" based on other interviews. The personal attacks and hardships would have destroyed most people.

Put another way, if someone else had already been solving the climate/space problem would he have done it anyways because that was his passion?

Not really investing related so I'll end on that but I don't think your statement is fair to Elon or gives credit to the monumental challenges faced in the last ten years.
There is no one on this world that I admire more that Elon. I am happy he exists.

Ordinarily, I say that I do not believe in destiny. And then someone like Elon comes along and makes you realize yet again that you know nothing.

Let me try again: This is Elon’s world. We are tagging along for the simulated ride.

Since Gordon Johnson is perhaps perplexingly the latest pre-eminent avatar for FUD-y analysis on Tesla, it maybe useful to ponder exactly how hollow his credentials ring - a thread on twitter. A quote from the thread: "This person is front and center on CNBC every other day, seemingly. Yet, if I look for evidence on why he is considered an expert, I find only shadows and rubble. Hard to imagine people are paying money for his research."

Perhaps Elon & SNL missed a golden opportunity to take the Financial Expert - Lloyd Ostertag skit just a bit further by offering up some NBC beat down on CNBC ‘analysts’. Can you imagine Elon giggling uncontrollably were he allowed to forever coin nicknames for Gordy and his GM-employed father as ‘The Little Johnson’ and ‘The Big Johnson’ on SNL. In one 5-minute skit Elon would have been able to erase 10 years of dribble from ‘The Little Johnson’........🥁

I agree. Tesla is ready to rally hard over the coming weeks but not so much if the overall market doesn't cooperate. If the market cooperates, look out!

Last edited:
OT Weekend SNL comments:

enough said...
It may not be important to you, but it is important to many who struggle through life with this due to the actions of uninformed and dismissive neuro-typicals. We may be different but we aren't disabled.

Dave Lee had a great video on this today to help provide some insight beyond the typical social awkwardness, as there are two people with Asperger's in his family.

WET BLANKET TIME:

The weekend is nigh over the world ‘round.
Time to put an end to -

1. Armchair psychiactrics. All - and a great deal more than all - that needs to be said about Asperger’s====>on THIS platform<==== long since has been said.

2. Beer. The kegs have been kicked, the stools are up on the bar, the lights are off. Done.

3. Numerology. Contrary to what some of you persist in kidding yourselves, Mr Musk is NOT a Moderator of this forum. So just because he blathers on about a topic DOES NOT present you license to do same.

Happy investing, everyone

So, watched the SNL Sunday evening in glorious HD on the big screen, upscaled to 4K, 5.1 and no adverts - the wonders of the internet!

I thought Elon was great, he's no actor, but he delivered his lines pretty well

He came across as extremely personable and not taking himself too seriously, his admission of the Asperger's (no surprise to us here, of course), will earn him a lot of kudos and, as said above, give hope and self-confidence to millions of folks on the spectrum

I even laughed at some of it, well chuckled, a little...

Have to say I was really impressed with Miley's voice - not my kind of music, but that girl sure can bell out a tune!