Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Is the charging network a bunch of Ford dealerships?

Not a word about fast charge rate? I think Ford’s sweeping a few important details under the rug.
Wait, maybe it's a "distributed" battery system and the 11 A/C Outlets can charge it all at once? :rolleyes:

I read the charging specs somewhere, something like 40 min from 15%-85%, but don't quote me. No capacity was quoted that I recall.

I think they stole some thunder by showing construction and home powering ahead of CT, even stating "First to..." on something not avail yet. Pretty sneaky. My next thought was... great advertising for Tesla. When we see that same thing on a Cybertruck first, many will understand already and want it.

I could not help but laugh at 3 days home power on a power outage? So after day 3, you have no power AND you're stranded. Fantastic. Recommend Ford gets into solar before Tesla shows up with a solution to this problem and demonstrates how well it works with the entire home system (except their truck).

1. You simply negotiate the price for the plug & cord individually at the stealership, the same way you did with your "lightening" purchase - ( the salesperson will go ask his manager if your offer is ok while you wait in his cubicle. The back and forth is super easy - only 3-4 hours.

2. You then go to the "business office" where you will be sold undercoating for your "Lightening".

Questions: Does the undercoating come in different colors? How much more for "Lightening Blue" undercoat?

And the really big question: How many E-F-150's will Ford make available for purchase in 2022?

Last edited:
The biggest thing I didn't hear, did hear... The farley dude talked about the suspension. And it seemed like it was old tech, not air suspension?
I have lots of experience in serious "off-road" conditions. From the Sahara to the Arctic and places in between. This coil sprung suspension will be better performing and more reliable (reliable being the priority) than air suspension. The only thing that would have been better is coils on top of solid or "live" axles so that the ground clearance remains constant. That's why Jeep Wrangler and the true Land Rovers of years past, And, of course Ram 2500 and up trucks of today use solid axles. I have a Cybertruck on order, but my biggest disappointment is that the Cybertruck has air suspension.

From what I'm reading on many forums ... Ford seems to have put out a pretty nice Truck and it really pains me to say this. Of course, the market is huge and F and TSLA can both be big winners but I'm a little concerned what TSLA is going to do in the short term as it's already under pressure and the narrative of "competition" is only going to be strengthened by today's unveil.

With these ranges useless for towing other than local.

Most towing is local anyway. Construction sites, deliveries of materials and equipment and boats and powersports. Not that many people regularly tow interstate.

People will buy the e-F-150 because it's better than the gas F-150 in just about every way except range. Production numbers will be very low for years so demand will outstrip supply.

The F150 has huge sales volume meaning there isn’t one type of F150 buyer. They are no doubt a diverse lot with lots of different reasons for buying one. The electric F150 will find a market.

Agreed. Ask not if the electric F-150 will find a market but whether the market will find an electric F-150.

From what I'm reading on many forums ... Ford seems to have put out a pretty nice Truck and it really pains me to say this. Of course, the market is huge and F and TSLA can both be big winners but I'm a little concerned what TSLA is going to do in the short term as it's already under pressure and the narrative of "competition" is only going to be strengthened by today's unveil.
Maybe it was the commercials and glittery emo stuff. Buttered up the crowd.

Reactions: FireMedic
The biggest thing I didn't hear, did hear... The farley dude talked about the suspension. And it seemed like it was old tech, not air suspension?

This was actually a bright spot. It will be the first F-150 with fully independent suspension. Unfortunately, it's still on a twin-beam, ladder style flexy frame.

But I think he would have mentioned if it were to be fully adjustable like the Cybertruck.

Happy to see an offering, but many things already look deficient objectively to CT. I'll wait for the actual specs however to see for sure. I'm guessing it is deficient in range, acceleration, torque, towing, payload capacity, efficiency, ground clearance, attack vectors...this objective stuff matters to me for my next truck

Seeing the pictures of the cybertruck in NYC and watching the f150 unveil makes me really appreciate the CT even more. Makes the older classic truck shapes bland. (Recently sold my F150 ice few years ago too). I think ford will try to say the CT is a lifestyle truck and not for the REAL truckers.. maybe they are right. But then again, specs tell different story.. both likely will be fine. the market is huge for both to compete. I wonder how folks on rivian forums are responding to the unveil..

Several years ago, the Tundra pulled the Endeavour shuttle for and advertising stunt. I wonder if Cybertruck can do similar stunt w the Falcon Heavy or the Starship @ Starbase? Good PR for both companies…

Happy to see an offering, but many things already look deficient objectively to CT. I'll wait for the actual specs however to see for sure. I'm guessing it is deficient in range, acceleration, torque, towing, payload capacity, efficiency, ground clearance, attack vectors...this objective stuff matters to me for my next truck
You forgot handling, braking and durability. ;)

You're worried? I sincerely doubt that F will be making any money on the base version of this truck. Not directly, at least. Based off of this article, the standard range is estimated to have a 140kwh battery pack:

"That said, a quick extrapolation from charge rates would suggest that the standard-range Lightning battery sits around 140 kWh, and the extended-range pack around 180 kWh."

As others have mentioned, this is most likely a compliance vehicle built for ev credits. They won't build any more than they need to provide credits for their gas guzzling ICE F-150s and any other ICE they still sell.

Everyone is comparing specs, but the only F150 spec that matters is how many batteries have they secured? Based on what we know, Ford can’t make much more 50,000 or so of these a year, can they? If that’s true, then this, as usual, benefits Tesla who has by far the biggest battery supply chain of anyone. Of course, the market won’t realize this for another year...

I have lots of experience in serious "off-road" conditions. From the Sahara to the Arctic and places in between. This coil sprung suspension will be better performing and more reliable (reliable being the priority) than air suspension. The only thing that would have been better is coils on top of solid or "live" axles so that the ground clearance remains constant. That's why Jeep Wrangler and the true Land Rovers of years past, And, of course Ram 2500 and up trucks of today use solid axles. I have a Cybertruck on order, but my biggest disappointment is that the Cybertruck has air suspension.
An air suspension made by the best company at manufacturing. That’s got to be good. I mean, they do manufacture for 1 million miles apparently.