Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good competition helps Tesla for a few reasons...
• compelling EVs from other manufacturers makes EVs seem less exotic and more mainstream
• encourages Tesla to up their game or show cards that are currently hidden
• other manufacturers will be spreading the virtues of EVs (eg lower maintenance, lower cost of ownership, home charging, etc), so that message is heard by more and more people

No no no, you see it’s all a coincidence. Just the market at work.

It’s not like the goons that lost tens of billions shorting TSLA last year in addition to missing out on an amazingly lucrative long opportunity are spiteful, vengeful people that prioritize their egos over everything else. That only happens on TV shows.
Reminds me of:
How many free market proponents does it need to change a lightbulb?
None. The invisible hand will do it.

I think the thrusters will only be legal at the dragstrip and I won’t elaborate further on this in this thread but I’ve pulled >5 vertical gs (blood rushing from head to feet) for about 30 straight seconds without much problem (granted I had training for that). Human tolerance for lateral gs is much higher though. Humans can tolerate >20(!) lateral gs (accelerating forward) for a second. So 2-something gs isn’t really a big deal.

Anyone who implies their vision is going or they are blacking out at a few horizontal gs are either exaggerating or already near death :).
Now we know what that "G-LOC_WARNING" metadata for the internal cabin camera was all about....

~~~END IT~~~

1. When too much discussion of another EV is either a re-hash of twice-/ thrice-told tales or questions that have been answered at least once in the prior twelve +/- hours, then it is well beyond time to stop further posts.

NO more posts on Ford’s e-Truck that don’t PRODUCTIVELY refer to Tesla. Tale all discussion to its own thread.

2. When discussing how many cars “always” are present in a household, for cry-i, at least be perspicacious enough to realize that a contrary opinion was coming from Scandinavia, whose consumption patterns are vastly different from those in the US.

The Ford does have a big drunk, but for 90K and the ability to power my house for 3
days I think I’ll stick with my Powerwalls.

That way when customers realize 230 miles range is a joke and 2012 Model S had more miles than a 2022 Ford. They should be embarrassed FYI those numbers.oh and where are you going to charge that thing.
I dunno... given how much interest there is in traditional truck styling and layout, I'd bet that physics/cost/resources come in to play here.

While I have no doubt they probably aren't as efficient as Tesla in their design, getting that kind of range out of something with the aerodynamics of a brick at a price that isn't going to scare people away, and with the battery supply they may have available to them, 230-300 miles range seems like a reasonably earnest first effort.

While I wish manufacturers hadn't been such laggards, I (perhaps naively) choose to hope they are recognzing the inevitable and will try and make the jump. It's really what Elon wanted to spur.

I had hoped/wished the same for the Bolt as well, unfortunately GM really didn't seem to have their heart in it. That having been said, always happy to see one on the road.

Gary correlates this TSLA price drop too much to the BTC stuff. Macro forces are 75% of this drop, 20% is due to S/X and 3/Y hangups, and only 5% due to the BTC stuff. Proof? Look at all the other growth stocks and ARK funds that have had similar drops.

My man Rob Maurer (FAVORITE Tesla YouTuber by far) illustrated this a few days ago.

~~~END IT~~~

1. When too much discussion of another EV is either a re-hash of twice-/ thrice-told tales or questions that have been answered at least once in the prior twelve +/- hours, then it is well beyond time to stop further posts.

NO more posts on Ford’s e-Truck that don’t PRODUCTIVELY refer to Tesla. Tale all discussion to its own thread.

2. When discussing how many cars “always” are present in a household, for cry-i, at least be perspicacious enough to realize that a contrary opinion was coming from Scandinavia, whose consumption patterns are vastly different from those in the US.
Good morning, everyone was waiting for this! 😂

Seriously? My wife has a Jeep Wrangler. Does Tesla offer this? Or any convertible? Or a van? Lot's of other car options people want other than CUV and sedan.
We’ve ALWAYS had a convertible. But decided it’s not worth the trade off. An electric convertible would be nice. But we opted for a M3P and ditch the convertible.

Would definitely get a Model S convertible if it became available. For our third car. Would need to decide if the model X or the model 3 would be the traded vehicle. Not giving up my cybertruck order. That’s happening for sure.

I don’t see a scenario where TESLA makes a car that isn’t in high demand. If they made a compelling van I’d replace our RV.

Ford Transit gliders, for a start. Elon tried to get Daimler to bite on this back in Q1 2018, but nothing ever came of it.

Tesla vans would be a huge seller;, the market for local delivery service and trades people is quite large, as would be the impact on emissions.

I'll buy the camperized version (w. FSD so I can relax/sleep while I travel between parks), thank-you very much!

Cheers!
Here's Tesla mobile service at my house a few weeks ago...
20210520_111232.jpg

Only two problems? Uh, no. This is something Tesla "gets" about BEV's that other manufacturers don't. If you want to be competitive, you have to be efficient. Because a big battery does not cancel out inefficiency. The problems of low efficiency/big battery compound far beyond what intuition might indicate:

Weight - A bigger battery weighs more which then requires more expensive tires that, all else equal, will cost more, be heavier and not last as long (and not be as efficient). And the extra weight compounds because then you need a little bigger battery to compensate for the additional weight of the batteries and tires and rotational inertia of the heavier tires. And so on.

Handling- more weight requires a suspension that can handle it (which means the suspension is incrementally heavier/more expensive and so is the chassis). Which then requires a little bigger battery to compensate for the extra chassis weight which then requires a bit more battery and so on.

Brakes - the brakes must be bigger to handle the extra weight and bigger brakes weigh a little more and have more rotational inertia which reduces performance and requires a bit more battery to compensate which then requires a tiny bit more to compensate for the additional battery, and so on.

Charge speed - all this inefficiency means that, for a given amount of charge current, you will need to charge longer. This is a big deal on trips. At home it just increases the cost of operation and makes it more difficult to fit all the charging into the cheapest time of use for those with variable electrical rates.

Because all of these problems compound upon one another a little better efficiency in every area of the vehicle makes a big deal in how good the final product is and how affordable it is. It's not a simple relationship that a 10% drop in efficiency means it will cost 10% more to get as capable of a vehicle. The less efficient vehicle will never be nearly as good in multiple ways as the more efficient vehicle and it will cost a lot more - the effect is huge due to compounding. Efficiency is a whole different ball game when it comes to EV's vs. ICE and legacy manufacturers have an ingrained culture to think small differences in efficiency are insignificant. In the EV world this will result in cars like the Mach-e which have a higher cost to produce and totally different driving/ownership experience compared to a vehicle that was designed with a laser focus on efficiency and weight.

You would think it would be easy for legacy manufacturers to adapt to the specific requirements of EV efficiency but due to the way inefficiencies compound it requires looking at things they think are insignificant (wheel bearing efficiency is one example of many). The legacy culture is one of looking at things like efficiency in a linear fashion of percent gains - they are not accustomed to considering how everything adds up and it's difficult to change this.
You are right, it is not just two problems, it is a whole host. Well said.
Funny how even after thinking about EVs for a while some ICE mindset can sneak its way in. Tsk tsk. Thank you for the correction.

TSLA now up >3%, F up 2.1% with a few trading hours after the reveal. IMO the market isn't really impressed.

I've seen some none EV enthusiasts impressed with the F150. However I think anyone actually looking at the cold hard details on the F150 are starting to finally see how dramatically far ahead Tesla is.

There have been some concerns regarding Elon's security during his SNL NY trip.

This is the latest video from Giga Berlin that I've found:

Please observe his Body Guard dude when he is screening the crowd at around 6-16 seconds time. I find it impressive.

I do wonder if those guys are thinking, “Just another dollar protecting some rich dude,” or if they appreciate the fact they are protecting one of the most globally consequential humans the world has seen in a long, long time.

Can't wait for all the headlines...