Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. this is almost unreal. Because Tesla is surrounded by cars that people drive extra carefully (for the most part). There is not even a 'normal' brand until you get to number 8, Infiniti. Has data like this been repeated in the USA? This is 1/10 the number of expected accidents.
In UK, Infiniti isn't normal... perhaps remaining ones are somehow protected? Perhaps collectors' cars? So this FURTHER supports @Beltsbear post. Better to compare with Ford etc - around 10 times the accident rate

"Japanese luxury car manufacturer Infiniti has confirmed that it will stop selling its vehicles in the UK from early 2020, as part of a withdrawal from western Europe. The Infiniti brand, owned by Nissan, was first introduced to the UK in 2008 as a rival to luxury brands such as Lexus and Mercedes"

Also, only a few used Infiniti in whole of UK (mostly Q30/Q50) - "239 used Infiniti cars available on Auto Trader, we have the largest range of cars for sale across the UK." - New & used Infiniti cars for sale | AutoTrader

Yes, Lots and lots of giga castings. Hard to count accurately. 5 to a rack. Racks 4 deep in some spots. Even more sitting loose. Are the loose ones waiting transport racks? Looks like over 1K in any case. Where are they going? Probably don't need racks if they are for on-site use. On the other hand body panels are racked after coming off the press line.

Reactions: FireMedic
Are you on FSD beta? You say you're praying FSD beta is worlds better, yet you seem to suggest that in your car it can't perform a simple task. Are you talking about Autopilot perhaps? Those are two completely different things. The performance of Autopilot and FSD beta are not necessarily related.
I’m just hopeful that when fsd gets pushed out that everything is upgraded/updated including AP. I know i probably know 1/10 of a lot of people here on the board and I’m probably conflating the two...all’s I know is whenever I encounter a section of fwy whether on Nav on AP or AP that has that S-shape, it crosses over the lines, like a drunk person. It’s happened on our road trip and always happens on the 405n between Costa Mesa and seal beach (for u SoCal people). Anyone else encounter this? Doesn’t sound like it. And my tires/alignment is fine.

I apologize for being off topic, hopefully my m3 and MY are anomalies? It’s worrisome and certainly hasn’t won my wife over to trusting AP/FSD. I won’t post about this any further.

Wow. this is almost unreal. Because Tesla is surrounded by cars that people drive extra carefully (for the most part). There is not even a 'normal' brand until you get to number 8, Infiniti. Has data like this been repeated in the USA? This is 1/10 the number of expected accidents.
Is this statistic over the lifetime of the vehicle? If so it's not very useful. The average length a Tesla has been on the road is way less than almost every other automaker simply because they are new and growing rapidly.

More than 50% of all Tesla's ever made were made in the last 24 months. That's probably even more exaggerated in the UK since Model 3 wasn't sold there until mid-2019.

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if new, kickass colors are not introduced on the 10th. We're overdue.
As Tesla approaches producing 1M vehicles this year and plans for substantial growth rates in the future, Tesla’s 5 or 6 paintable vehicles with 5 or 6 colors does NOT offer enough variety. They need new and more colors to diversify the sheer quantity of vehicles.

Yes, Lots and lots of giga castings. Hard to count accurately. 5 to a rack. Racks 4 deep in some spots. Even more sitting loose. Are the loose ones waiting transport racks? Looks like over 1K in any case. Where are they going? Probably don't need racks if they are for on-site use. On the other hand body panels are racked after coming off the press line.
GA is probably the limiting factor hence the new “tent.”

Reactions: FireMedic
I’m just hopeful that when fsd gets pushed out that everything is upgraded/updated including AP. I know i probably know 1/10 of a lot of people here on the board and I’m probably conflating the two...all’s I know is whenever I encounter a section of fwy whether on Nav on AP or AP that has that S-shape, it crosses over the lines, like a drunk person. It’s happened on our road trip and always happens on the 405n between Costa Mesa and seal beach (for u SoCal people). Anyone else encounter this? Doesn’t sound like it. And my tires/alignment is fine.

I apologize for being off topic, hopefully my m3 and MY are anomalies? It’s worrisome and certainly hasn’t won my wife over to trusting AP/FSD. I won’t post about this any further.
My opinion only but I feel like the recent updates are being done by the UI team and not the NN team. Validation is tough when it comes to critical systems but UI updates are easier IMO.

I too think something big is in the works and validating cannot be easily predicted.

Alternatively, almost nothing is known. We should allow for some bumps along the way.

Reactions: mickificki
That is exactly how I see this unfolding. No significant barrier to purchase and delivery.
I live in Texas. I bought a Model X in 2018. Made in Fremont. When I got it, it had been titled in Nevada and shipped here. I don't know the timeline of it crossing the border, but my recollection is that I paid for it in full, followed closely by VIN assignment and I believe I picked it up at the service center within 30 hours or so. My recollection is poor and the details I can cough up don't tell the complete story. [Ordered online Jan 30 2018, delivered March 30 2018.]

However several things that I recall with clarity is that it was considered a used car by the state of Texas (an inspection on a new car is required 2 years after delivery, 1 year for a used car). The title info showed a transfer from a Nevada address.

I bought a used car with 8 miles on the odometer.

As Tesla approaches producing 1M vehicles this year and plans for substantial growth rates in the future, Tesla’s 5 or 6 paintable vehicles with 5 or 6 colors does NOT offer enough variety. They need new and more colors to diversify the sheer quantity of vehicles.
I wonder if this is the solution;-

Cybertrucks will need wrapping if customers want anything other than a stainless steel look.

From memory a Fremont there should be 2 paint shops operational now one specifically designated to Model S/X?

So a combination of offering a new more paint choices, and wrapping might be the best bet.
Wrapping would only be done once the customer has lodged a suitable amount of non-refundable deposit...
Maybe wrapping can be done in the delivery centre or nearby..

BTW, UAW later found another- better in their opinion- choice besides stock options. Profit sharing.

Their GM contract for example gives workers $1000 per billion in EBIT (so about 9k from 2020).
The trouble with this analysis is that "profit sharing" is neither interest nor taxes, so the $9k * 391,000 UAW workers = $3.5 billion so the EBIT would be substantially less as would the profit sharing checks. But it would require recursive calculation to determine the actual amount .

Still this is just another example that Elon's tweet was a prediction of what the union's course of action would be, not a threat about what management would do. It's the same prediction that any rational person (including Tesla workers considering voting to join a union) should make because all evidence points to that as the expected outcome. You likewise should predict that anywhere there is UAW representation, the union will "bargain" to avoid compensation in the form of stock or stock options as they always have. So you can stop being pedantic about whether there are union "rules" and just agree that Elon didn't make any threats and that the UAW has no interest in getting stock options for their members.

I live in Texas. I bought a Model X in 2018. Made in Fremont. When I got it, it had been titled in Nevada and shipped here. I don't know the timeline of it crossing the border, but my recollection is that I paid for it in full, followed closely by VIN assignment and I believe I picked it up at the service center within 30 hours or so. My recollection is poor and the details I can cough up don't tell the complete story. [Ordered online Jan 30 2018, delivered March 30 2018.]

However several things that I recall with clarity is that it was considered a used car by the state of Texas (an inspection on a new car is required 2 years after delivery, 1 year for a used car). The title info showed a transfer from a Nevada address.

I bought a used car with 8 miles on the odometer.
Nevada is one of the States that gives the EU-style ‘export’ license that is valid for a short time and is intends only for export. Tesla has asked by CA has refused that option so Fremont deliveries have 100% CA titling! Registration and sales tax.

clearly inaccurate article, says The Brady Bunch is from the 40s but it actually aired 1969 to 1974.

Still the author was in Vegas and shares his thoughts.

I have a feeling this guy is a Martian. And this is not the last time one of them is going to say, "Let’s get inside Elon Musk’s holes!"