Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, guessing it dropped due to this tweet:

Just my periodic reminder of the "crisis" Tesla is facing. I imagine VW, Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan, BMW.......etc. would love to be facing such a crisis.

1622743277754.png

If you want to be as nice as possible...

1) It's a lie. If you subtract the reg credits (for some reason), then you need to add back the taxes paid on that revenue. When you do that, Tesla has been profitable (slightly) as shown in the Tesla Daily video posted above.

2) Reg credits are likely to increase, not decrease, for the next few years, according to CFO Zac in a recent earnings call. Automajors can't or won't produce enough EVs to avoid buying credits from Tesla.

3) In a few years, Tesla's auto production will quadruple (from 0.5M in 2020 to 2M in 2022), with consequent increases in efficiency and economies of scale... not to mention soaring Megapack production and the robotaxi wildcard. What does business school suggest will happen to profits then?

PS: The Tesla Daily video posted by @BlackS is not the one I was thinking of. I recall another video by Rob, I think more recently, showed that subtracting reg credit revenue but adding back the taxes paid on it made the income number positive. I don't have time to dig for that video.

Reactions: FireMedic
PS: The Tesla Daily video posted by BlackS is not the one I was thinking of. I recall another video by Rob, I think more recently, showed that subtracting reg credit revenue but adding back the taxes paid on it made the income number positive. I don't have time to dig for that video.
It's probably the one when Rob was debating with the class 🤡 Gordo...

Certainly not what I expected regarding China in May.

Any idea when we may get confirmation one way or another?
Note how this rumor is based on incoming net orders. There's no way to verify it and they know it. If the rumor has been about May's actual sales....they know it could be easily disproven when May registration numbers come in a few days.

Also to note......that in the next tweet the person makes using the same source, gives actual numbers which make the rumor harder to believe by stating that the order rate for China was only 18,000 month before it got halved to 9,000. If the order rate in China for the 3/Y was only 18,000 combined, Tesla wouldn't have had nearly enough demand to be have producing at the rates they're currently at for this entire year, even with exporting.

Last edited: