Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla related: UK - Gridserve working with Tesla, co-locate their own and Tesla chargers - so non-Teslas see Teslas come & go, chance to chat. Previously Electric Highway had a contractual monopoly on many motorway sites, usually only 2 chargers, often iced & not working. Gridserve have bought them out & seem REALLY good. Their Braintree centre has vehicle leasing, cafe & shops. When they have upgraded Electric Highway sites, they added loads of chargers. Unfortunately didn't seem to be many/any suitable for cars such as old Zoe, Leaf. Otherwise this can drive EV adoption in UK generally

Gridserve CEO (Toddington Harper - EV World Congress) has driven Tesla for many years & his parents named him & siblings after UK Motorway Services (fuel/break locations - no idea what they are called in USA/NA English).

View attachment 671202

Any of you mountain/island owning Teslanaires want to copy them in different countries? Good model for others, including local governments

View attachment 671197

Gridserve in foreground, Tesla chargers in background, all together

View attachment 671198
Not to mention his sister, Leicester Forest East Northbound Harper...

VW is transitioning several factories from ICEv to BEV in Germany/Europe and embarking on building several GF in Europe totaling 240 GWh by 2030 with IG Metal consent. IG may not be "great" or "good" at embracing change but better than other automotive unions.

The UAW very much matters. Their obstinance is what largely crated Detroit 3 market share from 90% to half that today. Detroit 3 CEOs have made many stupid decisions over the last 50 years but they did so with choices constrained by the UAW.
No different than the US, GM and Ford are transitioning. At VW the unions tried to fire the CEO because of EV transition, came a board vote away from pulling that off. Even then the transition is not going to hit jobs, they are converting factories that are ill suited for EV production, both size, physical layout, supply chain network, etc. The supply chain is going to take a hit and the mid sized german manufacturing companies rely on auto industry for jobs. Unions rely on the midsized companies, which are often cross held by unions, local savings and loans, regional governments, and big auto. Almost every company some different numbers and only founding family % ownership varies.

Not to mention his sister, Leicester Forest East Northbound Harper...
Possibly just one older brother - Heston

It does show though that renewables have been going a long while, real expertise, track records - it's no longer viewed as a FAD, rather Big Oil / exploration is eccentric. As more of these people make a difference, EV/Tesla adoption will speed up dramatically, helped by more people being familiar with the cars (fight/ignore FUD, understand advantages).

“What we’ve basically come up with is a solution for the mass market,” explains the charismatic Toddington, who admits to having an “extraordinarily bizarre” background. Not only did his late father Brian Harper build petrol stations 60-odd years ago, but he named his two sons after motorway service stations. Hence Toddington (M1) and his older brother Heston (M4)! Quite why was never properly revealed, nor why his middle name is Warwick (M40?)...Toddington says he took a very roundabout route to where he is now

You need to take the "Pause" button off by hitting "Play". That video showed a beehive of loading activity with empty car carriers coming and full ones leaving at a surprising rate. Sure, it looks like nothing going on if you freeze the video! Duh! ;)
I had in 2x speed. I dunno what video you're looking at, but even at 2x, loading is slow considering how many cars and empty trucks were sitting. I counted 29 cars loaded while there were 16 car carriers parked waiting and lots of people walking around.

VW is transitioning several factories from ICEv to BEV in Germany/Europe and embarking on building several GF in Europe totaling 240 GWh by 2030 with IG Metal consent. IG may not be "great" or "good" at embracing change but better than other automotive unions.
IGM cares much about their members. They don't care WHAT they work. They care about them still being employed. So if you offer early retirement, schooling for new jobs, preferred employment at new locations instead of layoffs .. then they are pretty much fine with it. They ain't stupid & see the writing on the wall.. that if they want to have a membership-base in the future they better make sure that their main concern is to smoothen the transition for their members.

And as a company that can go a long way. Yes, manufacturing in Germany is more expensive then say Romania - but if your choice is "Cheap romanian & having plants closed down in Germany due to strikes" and "More expensive manufacturing in Germany, but smooth sailing with the unions" it is an easy decision to make. And that is the whole plan of IGM. :)

Man I love this line. Absolutely the case.

Legacy is in a race with Usain Bolt and he left the start blocks already.
They are out shopping for shoes.
Yep, about it. So my dad invested in Tesla last summer, he asks me yesterday...."don't the analysts know that every ford EV sale is taking away a ford ICE sale? so why all the hype?" My poor dad, a stockbroker most of his life....80+ now. Can't figure out Ford hype related to EVs. I could only say that at least Ford seems somewhat serious, the 2 vehicles they have launched are both real vehicles and not compliance cars. GM ...nada. VW, call me unimpressed by a company that led the single biggest auto fraud post WWII. VW...my least favorite company in the auto space and for good reasons.

I was really impressed to see Ford with the second best performance in the test in Norway. Very impressive for a first effort. The charging product they announced for the truck, very innovative and actually the first time someone has done something better than Tesla. People have been screaming for it and Ford delivered. Interesting.

Elon does not want that because he wants to sell powerwalls and hopes to ramp battery production before others can offer anything like this but if Ford can get more buzz than this will be the first offering by any traditional auto company that will have hurt Tesla, it takes market away from Tesla energy and Tesla auto in one fell swoop. Very very smart. This is innovation...from Ford not VW @RobStark

Because consumers do care, at least a subset does.

For example, in Samsung's yearly Galaxy phone launches, they use their in-house Exynos chips for the Asian and European markets. The US market exclusively uses Qualcomm Snapdragon chips which to date have performed better. There are people who prefer to get a Snapdragon device shipped... Samsung knows this and they've offered free buds/extra storage capacity in the other markets to keep pricing same.

Again, all of my pipedreams are based on the assumption that Elon/Tesla have sandbagged Kato Road yield and output. Moment of truth in less than 48 hours.
Exynos and snapdragon are not the same spec. Back in the days when Samsung used their own Exynos in the Note 2, it was way faster than the snapdragon. I purposed seeked out for the international version and forgo warranty just due to this.

Today the snapdragon is much faster.
So yeah they don't perform the same so people wants one over the other. But of the 4680s and the 2170s both performs the same, then why would anyone care?

Reactions: UncaNed
IGM cares much about their members. They don't care WHAT they work. They care about them still being employed. So if you offer early retirement, schooling for new jobs, preferred employment at new locations instead of layoffs .. then they are pretty much fine with it. They ain't stupid & see the writing on the wall.. that if they want to have a membership-base in the future they better make sure that their main concern is to smoothen the transition for their members.

And as a company that can go a long way. Yes, manufacturing in Germany is more expensive then say Romania - but if your choice is "Cheap romanian & having plants closed down in Germany due to strikes" and "More expensive manufacturing in Germany, but smooth sailing with the unions" it is an easy decision to make. And that is the whole plan of IGM. :)
Yep they don't care who you bribe where, or how ..just keep the jobs in germany and sell the cars everywhere and anywhere. The board level representation of workers (union or otherwise) is also unprecedented in the US. As is the fact that the small local savings and loans are owners and lenders...and the state governments. All in all it means that German auto industry is not really an auto industry but a job creation tool of the central state and to keep it going they have had to become a job destroying tool to other countries. German auto execs even joke about it, call it the 3rd war.

Screenshot_20210609_141053.png

Just watching Tesla Daily & noticed one thing in Robs table:
For April we seem to have about ~5000 cars inventory buildup. With a production of 30500 in May (bearish sign!) those inventory may come down & still explain Mays sales.

Now i am even more interested in the production-numbers & if they plan on building up more inventory.

Exynos and snapdragon are not the same spec. Back in the days when Samsung used their own Exynos in the Note 2, it was way faster than the snapdragon. I purposed seeked out for the international version and forgo warranty just due to this.

Today the snapdragon is much faster.
So yeah they don't perform the same so people wants one over the other. But of the 4680s and the 2170s both performs the same, then why would anyone care?
Because the 4680 and 2170 are not at all the same?

Because the 4680 and 2170 are not at all the same?
Same specs mean the same. Doesn't matter what you put in. It could software nerfed or hardware nerfed.

My speculation is that Y 4680s will be a new LR+ that cost more or performance (or both). The Fremont version will the new SR and still cost the same.

So they wouldn't be the same spec and wouldn't cost the same either.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3 and UncaNed
No more red caliper brakes for Model S/X Plaid, they now seem only available for the Performance 3/Y. For me, that's a bummer but will still convert my Plaid+ order to a Plaid. Hope most others will too.
If they are identical except for the colour I prefer black. A stealth sleeper car is what my Plaid will be. :cool:

Same specs mean the same. Doesn't matter what you put in. It could software nerfed or hardware nerfed.

My speculation is that Y 4680s will be a new LR+ that cost more or performance (or both). The Fremont version will the new SR and still cost the same.

So they wouldn't be the same spec and wouldn't cost the same either.
Texas is building all east coast cars and Freemont all West coast cars to reduce shipping cost. I think all Y's will move to 4680's. SR will just have fewer cells.

• Disagree
Reactions: Murky-Article
View attachment 671215
Just watching Tesla Daily & noticed one thing in Robs table:
For April we seem to have about ~5000 cars inventory buildup. With a production of 30500 in May (bearish sign!) those inventory may come down & still explain Mays sales.

Now i am even more interested in the production-numbers & if they plan on building up more inventory.

Weren’t those the 5,000 cars planned for export but not technically exported yet?

Reactions: UkNorthampton
In news that shouldn’t matter, Bitcoin is up 6% today after hitting a recent low yesterday morning. Bitcoin value crashed around the same time yesterday morning as TSLA did. Probably purely coincidental, but I’ve seen speculation that algobots take Bitcoin value into consideration when trading TSLA. If that’s the case, it’s looking like a net positive today.

A lot of potential Tesla vehicles would sell like crazy.

A full size 9 passenger Cybertruck SUV.
View attachment 671189

A Tesla Minibus.

View attachment 671188

Tesla Model 2

View attachment 671190

Cyber Model 2

View attachment 671191

A Detroit style pickup.

View attachment 671192

A Japanese style pickup for North American market.

View attachment 671193

It just comes down to what exactly Elon wants to build.

Cyber TUK !!
MasterPlan #? (Replace all the tuk tuks in the world)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.15.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.15.04 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 50