Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you're right there. Did anyone notice in this weekend's videos from Wu Wa and Jason Yang in Shanghia that the temporary building for recycling pallets has now been removed? There is now a parking lot where the building was, between the Electric substation (SW corner of property) and the Phase 1 Motor Workshop.

This is the clearest signal I have seen that Giga Shanghai no longer depends upon imported battery packs for production, and that the previous imports of large heavy components are no longer necessary.

This also means that Giga Shanghai is likely now fully operational for motor production, which was an issue that Elon raised during the Q1 conf. call. Margins, and volume, will improve as a direct result.

Futher, increased localized production will allow the 2nd Model Y line to come online soon. I hope it'll be operational by Q4, nearly doubling Model Y prod.

Cheers!
The pallets recycling got moved to the very north parking area. Where the TESLA sign is next to.
Could be a little smaller though.

Well, you're right there. Did anyone notice in this weekend's videos from Wu Wa and Jason Yang in Shanghia that the temporary building for recycling pallets has now been removed? There is now a parking lot where the building was, between the Electric substation (SW corner of property) and the Phase 1 Motor Workshop.

This is the clearest signal I have seen that Giga Shanghai no longer depends upon imported battery packs for production, and that the previous imports of large heavy components are no longer necessary.

This also means that Giga Shanghai is likely now fully operational for motor production, which was an issue that Elon raised during the Q1 conf. call. Margins, and volume, will improve as a direct result.

Futher, increased localized production will allow the 2nd Model Y line to come online soon. I hope it'll be operational by Q4, nearly doubling Model Y prod.

Cheers!
Seems to me they just moved that temporary building to be near the initial services plant. I took it more as a signal that they want to develop that land now.

The pallets recycling got moved to the very north parking area. Where the TESLA sign is next to.
Could be a little smaller though.

Thank-you, very much closer for the 'marriage' between body and powertrain (after 'Paint', but before 'GA').

Some incoming bty packs must still be unpacked upon arrival, since CATL ships the entire bty pack assembly (I think from their plant in Ningde, about 680 km S).

My take-away is that the logistics is tightening with an ever-increasing localized supply chain. Next, CATL will build an bty plant in Shanghai (80 GWh/yr supports production of 2 Million Models 2, each with a 40 KWh pack).

EXCLUSIVE Tesla supplier CATL plans a major battery plant in Shanghai | Reuters (Jun 3, 2021)

Cheers!

Not sure if anyone posted this as yet. HOLY MOLLY. Randy feels sorry for those who don't have a Tesla for the straight away impossible acceleration from the switchbacks(my words)
I've loved driving our Teslas in the mountains. Nothing compares to the fun, acceleration and safety.

I think Tesla can hardly have a better brand ambassador than Randy. Love that guy.

I think Tesla can hardly have a better brand ambassador than Randy. Love that guy.
Agreed! But, I'm a much better driver than Randy: I didn't see him use his turn signals even once on those turns!

After watching the video about a dozen times now, I have to go out to the garage and tell my S that our love affair is over.

The i3 hatchback with its quirky looks but fun driving dynamics is a popular choice in Europe, especially in the Northern hemisphere.

🤪🤪🤪

Green on twitter saying Tesla is running out of compute power for FSD

This has been my main concern about camera based perception development for the last 3 years. The compute power of the brain and visual cortex is silly powerful. Certainly smart deep learning could reduce the power needed relative to that - but who is to say if HW3 is even close to what is needed? I have been more optimistic over the last year or so since there has been no mention of hitting such limits. But now I am thinking about it again.

In the end I don't think this will affect FSD Beta V9 release. I mean would you really drop radar if you are having these issues to any extreme?

Green on twitter saying Tesla is running out of compute power for FSD

Green can only see what Tesla allows him to see, nothing more, nothing less.

He draws his conclusions from that and sometimes he's been right and other times he's been wrong. He's also pretty arrogant when smarter people than him have pointed out his flawed conclusions. So take it how you want but to me it doesn't mean much of anything to me.

Agreed! But, I'm a much better driver than Randy: I didn't see him use his turn signals even once on those turns!

After watching the video about a dozen times now, I have to go out to the garage and tell my S that our love affair is over.
*Ahem* after watching Randy drive that Model S up Pikes Peak, maybe it's your car that will be saying "Ándale!! Ándale!!", @Joe F !
;)