Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, in your post I replied to, you quoted Wikipedia as saying: "From 2002 to 2006, Kirkhorn studied both Economics at The Wharton School and Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics at the University of Pennsylvania as part of the Jerome Fisher Program in Management and Technology. In 2013, he received an MBA from Harvard Business School."

That excerpt omits he BS in Engineering, so it was unclear as to if you were aware he had such.

Now if its your opinion "an undergrad degree doesn't make you anything beyond possibly ready to begin a career in your field of study", then so be it.
the most critical part of being a great engineer is the "economics and finance" knowledge and the application to real products with a substantial TAM ... otherwise you are just a hacker ... i have worked as a systems engineer for 35 years and most "engineers" are actually hacks and dont do the economics, therefore there designs dont get beyond prototype ... based on the fact the Elon trusts Zach as Tesla CFO and Elon has been mentoring him to his approach to design and engineering i think he has the aptitude to become an excellent CEO ... he might need a to do tour in operations first however...

Volume today was nearly 40% lower than the average. How does the entire market in a coordinated fashion shrug off an ER this quickly? In theory when you get a huge dump of information, opinions should change. I'm puzzled by the mechanics of it.
Investors/Traders who only listen to the media believe this is either a nothing-burger or a one-off that won't continue. At low volumes basically there are mostly bots trading virtual (naked) shares with other bots. Almost certainly one of the algorithms is to trade no more than is necessary compared to other bots.

Cramer said CC lacked wizardry ...
I guess he got his wish with AI day being announced :)

Now I am left wondering what VW will call it's AI day ;)

have some lazarus CC plays at 390 for tomorrow ..fingers crossed.

(+ even after AI day, not sure MM will label Tesla as a software company ;) )
If VW is being honest they would call it Debug day ;)

Elon trusts Zach as Tesla CFO and Elon has been mentoring him to his approach to design and engineering i think he has the aptitude to become an excellent CEO ... he might need a to do a tour in operations first however...

Also, I wonder if certain folks here are aware that Tesla has a "Chief Accounting Officer", and that's a separate job from the one that Zach is in.

Here's the source of the Wikipedia article about Zach: (from Tesla's own "Corporate Governance" website)

Zachary Kirkhorn | Tesla Investor Relations https://ir.tesla.com › corporate › zachary-kirkhorn

Zachary Kirkhorn​

Zach is Master of Coin of Tesla and served as our Chief Financial Officer since March 2019. Previously, Zach served in various finance positions continuously since joining Tesla in March 2010, other than between August 2011 and June 2013 during which he attended business school, including most recently as Vice President, Finance, Financial Planning and Business Operations from December 2018 to March 2019. Zach holds dual B.S.E. degrees in economics and mechanical engineering and applied mechanics from the University of Pennsylvania and an M.B.A. from Harvard University.​

So Zach was a VP of Business Operations prior to being appointed CFO (not Chief Accounting Officer).

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've noticed how when the SP goes up next weeks put premium also go up. Are people really expecting a crash coming once the SP goes up a lot.
I mean it works out perfectly for me since I sell puts. Is there a strategy we can take advantage of here?
Aug 06 570 Put when from $1.52 to $1.75 while the SP when from $650~ to $680. crazy divergence
Maybe when SP moves substantially on days like today volatility goes up which in turn increases all option prices?

I ordered 2 Powerwalls (~$20K installed) back in February, a few days after the winter storm disaster in Texas, trying to beat the rush. This was just before Tesla stopped selling stand-alone Powerwalls without solar roofs or panels (we already have non-Tesla solar panels). We were told to expect delivery and installation in "late Spring". Yesterday I emailed our project advisor for a status update. He responded a few hours later:

"Thank you for the follow up. We are working through an unprecedented amount of orders for Powerwall, Solar Roof and Solar panels. We anticipated to make significant progress on our Powerwall orders this Spring but were a bit overconfident. At this point I don’t have a solid timeline to provide this year or even going into the next. You can always shop our certified installers as they may have some remaining inventory with much shorter timelines for installation. You can find a local installer here https://www.tesla.com/support/certified-installers-powerwall."

Hopefully this is more of an overwhelming demand issue than a parts supplier issue.
Quick update... I called the local certified installer. He said they are still waiting on Powerwalls that they ordered a year ago. Tesla has told them to expect delivery in Q1 2022.

He suggested alternatives from Generac (PWRcell) and LG. He said Tesla Powerwalls are the least expensive.

We will wait for Tesla to ramp battery production.

Did anyone here really think that after those Q2 results we were gonna stay down for long? I mean $1.1B in GAAP net income?

Firing on all cylinders during a pandemic and chip shortage?
Berlin and Austin right around the corner
Model Y SR selling like hot cakes
CT soon

Gordo saying he was gonna 'short' the stock was the conviction everyone needed :)

This combined with the mil I made today really made my day. Thank you, and a big thank you GLJ Research. Couldn't have done it without them. 🤣🤣🤣

True story. This morning due to an errant mouse click while I was adjusting my chair, I bought more. (My platform is for day traders and it doesn't ask for confirmation.)

At the time it was the HOTD, which isn't something I ever do. Apparently it was a limit order with a limit higher than the ask, so effectively a market order. I immediately said "Oh crap!"

...and then it went higher. Oh well.

Quick update... I called the local certified installer. He said they are still waiting on Powerwalls that they ordered a year ago. Tesla has told them to expect delivery in Q1 2022.
In my experience, Tesla is doling out Powerwalls in very limited quantity to their certified installers. It took me 13-14 months to get mine (installed in February). Vinyasun told me they had 154 on back order at the time, and received only 3 or 4. Now that Tesla has changed their policy, where they will only sell Powerwalls along with a solar panel system, I don't know if that has made things better or worse for their certified installers. Until batteries (and chips) are available in much larger quantities than they are now I don't think things will change significantly. 6-12 months would be my guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: one additional note as an FYI: when my employee got a Tesla solar system installed last fall, I gifted him the money for one Powerwall. This past weekend it failed, badly. Tesla quoted him September 1 for a service call, in the heart of hurricane season when we need it most. 😞