Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

63,000 cancellations from 518,000 reservations.

12.16%

Source is Elon himself on earnings call mid-2017 just as Model 3 deliveries had begun.
Some of those reservations are still outstanding, since they accepted reservations for several countries that had no Tesla facilities. I have one of those still, for delivery to Brazil.

Wouldn't Y be much more practical Robotaxi than the CT? Just in terms of size, going into cities, etc.. I've been thinking of eventually getting into that side of things if it pans out, but with a Y. I'll use my CT reservation for myself, thankyouverymuch....
The big differentiator is the Cybertruck’s robust stainless steel skin. That will allow the vehicle to continue to look good and stay in service longer and with less maintenance than a vehicle with a painted steel skin. This together with the electric powertrain means the Cybertruck should have a long service life. The long service life is important as the locked in price of FSD is dirt cheap for those who reserved, but won’t remain so.

The Cybertruck seats 6 and can take a lot of baggage. The vault could be used to perform deliveries of goods in parallel with driving passengers.

The size is less of an issue if you’re not parking in a parking spot, just pulling up to the curb.

I also still guesstimate that robotaxis will be enabled approximately at the same time as Cybertrucks reach volume production (+/- 1 year, which is quite close if you think as a futurist).

These are the reasons I gave my son when I suggested he reserve a handful.

Last edited:
I am out of yogurt, and I won't buy any until next week when we go to the closeout food outlet where they are $.25.
I'm financially comfortable and in my seventies. TESLA has helped a lot, but we would still be OK with out it. It's less than 25% of my portfolio, and I sleep well.

My recommendation for obtaining wealth has always been to live well below your means, and to invest the reminder. Whenever I would get a pay raise, I would let 25% go into my checking and the remainder into an investment account. Like KMCC my wife and I still are obsessed with getting "a deal " on everything we buy, even though the cost difference is usually irrelevant at this point in our lives.

I'm trying to get over that mindset. I guess I inherited it from my depression era parents. I can identify with KMCC's $.25 yogurt. I'm working to learn that most decisions need not be just about the money. Namaste

My thoughts as well. I can see that the stamping facility is ready, That was the 1st area of factory enclosed.

Is process the following:
Stamp body panels
Makes front and rear casts
Attach panels to casts
Paint
General Assembly including structural pack and motors.

I forget have we seen front casts made yet?
Is equipment/lines in place to attach panels to casts?
Is paint shop enclosed enough to eliminate contamination.
Assume structural pack and batteries created in Fremont.
General Assembly area seems so wide open we would have video of equipment.

Although it still makes me nervous to see so much of the factory open to the elements and all the dust/dirt floating around. I would think they would want to get pavement poured to minimize contamination in casting areas to keep dust/dirt down.
Regarding your question of whether we've seen front casts made yet, look at page 16 of Tesla's Q2 2021 shareholder deck, titled "Gigafactory Texas - Model Y Body Shop: https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/static/...ent-disposition=inline;filename="q2_2021.pdf"

I'm not an engineer, but it looks to me in this photo that both front and rear castings are being used--perhaps someone who knows more can chime in...

Page 15 has a picture titled, "Gigafactory Texas - Stamping Press". The thing is massive, truly impressive! I haven't seen pictures of a paint shop, but the way the factory is coming along it wouldn't surprise me if we see some pre-production test vehicles coming off the line this month.

TL;DR: Introduced today, "The RAISE the Roof Act would allow the entirety of an integrated solar roof to be covered by the investment tax credit. Representatives Mikie Sherill (D-NJ) and Bill Pascrell, Jr. (D-NJ) introduced legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives to clarify and expand the solar investment tax credit (ITC) to include integrated solar roofs."

Congresswoman Mikie Sherill's Press Release about it :

Senator John Ossoff's companion legislation:

Last edited:
They will be forced into facing their own judgement and questioning their very understanding of other people. For a few of them it will be the final straw that precipitates the fall into clinical insanity. Disruption always has collateral damage. It's unfortunate but unavoidable and the blame can hardly be laid on Tesla or Elon Musk. 🤷‍♂️

2025 Headline:

Elon Musk Sued For Emotional Distress

(AP) Tesla / SpaceX / Neuralink CEO Elon Musk has been sued for 100 Billion dollars in "emotional distress" damages by a group of Tesla "investors". The investors, who go by the name "TSLAQ" (not be be confused with QAnon, though likely a large overlap), claim that they have lost over a hundred billion dollars in idiotically and repeatedly shorting what is now the largest company in the world. With Tesla's current market cap at 5 trillion dollars, most members managed to turn $100 into $1. TSLAQ reps claim it's "not fair" that the price went up so much and state that Elon Musk should be held responsible. Members elaborate that Elon Musk is still a fraud and hold out hope that Tesla will yet one day go bankrupt.

Would be market moving if true:

It appears that Tesla China is making good progress in its development of the highly-anticipated $25k compact electric car. If recent rumors from China are any indication, it appears that the upcoming affordable EV is still planned for trial production for the end of 2021.

The update about Tesla China’s newest electric vehicle was shared by noted automotive segment leaker 不是郑小康, who has proven to be accurate in the past. According to the industry leaker, the prototype for Tesla’s $25K car has already been completed, and most suppliers for the vehicle’s production have already been lined up.

I couldn't agree more. If Tesla could produce and sell even a few thousand $25K models next year, I believe it could truly open the floodgates of awareness for EVs and disrupt the entire automotive manufacturing industry by next year, in a major major way. Demand would be through the roof.

Even if Tesla couldn't ramp up production for a few years, it would plant the seed in people's minds that a functional and affordable EV is just around the corner, and would hold off buying a new (or even a used) ICE vehicle and keep their old one going just a little longer. The implications are profound on what exactly a $25K EV announcement would do to the new and used ICE market.

Old Auto should be in full-on panic mode right now.

Gotta admire how effective MM’s are. Nasdaq back up close to its high from the start of trading today, Tesla a solid 2% lower from that slow strategic walk down.

Sure would love some blowout China July numbers to come out before Friday that royally messes up their plans. Even if they still manage to keep it to 720, I want to see them have to spend a lot to do it
We always bemoan the MM's, and rightly so, but all the EV stocks having a bad day - no doubt the Hedgies are making sure $TSLA follow the trend when it might otherwise rise, but they're getting one hell of an assist

1628012333966.png

Got a card in the mail today regarding this case

Class is limited to buyers/sellers between 8/7/18 - 8/17/18
I got 2 of these, for different accounts. Anyone know which is better for Tesla... do nothing and remain in the class, or exclude myself from the class?

Edit: TL/DR: Tesla and Elon and the rest of the board are being sued over the "Am considering taking Tesla private..." tweet in 2018.

Attachments

• 20210803_133853.jpg
    20210803_133853.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
We always bemoan the MM's, and rightly so, but all the EV stocks having a bad day - no doubt the Hedgies are making sure $TSLA follow the trend when it might otherwise rise, but they're getting one hell of an assist

View attachment 691571

You should take a gander at the Call pricing today cause while the stock is pretty much flat, my calls (most of which are far out leaps) are getting nailed. All down between 5-10% lol.

Let's just say I've very happy 95% of my call strategy is far out LEAPS with low strike prices that I've always fully intended to convert to shares. I'm very confident of where the stock will be in late 2022 and early 2023...........so I could care less that they're clearly rigging the value of call options right now.......man I feel for anyone playing heavy in shorter terms calls (like Sept through Dec).

Granted when the stock does finally make the mega rally I'm expecting it to make sometime in Q3, all this pricing goes out the window. But in the meantime, if you had calls that were expiring in Sept-Dec and you were needing to sell them now....you're getting bent over pretty badly

You're right, the number of Cybertruck pre-orders is completely and utterly irrelevant. I expect only a 20% or less conversion rate if you don't count the ones that are purchased for the purpose of flipping for a profit, but demand will grow organically faster than reservations can be cancelled. Cybertruck will be unobtanium to anyone who is not willing to wait months or years from the time they place their order. This will be the case for the first 4 years of production at a minimum! I should probably add that I believe the number of pre-orders are grossly under-estimated at 1.3 million, probably closer to 2 million.

People who think it can't sell well because it's "butt-ugly" are in for a very rude awakening. They will be forced into facing their own judgement and questioning their very understanding of other people. For a few of them it will be the final straw that precipitates the fall into clinical insanity. Disruption always has collateral damage. It's unfortunate but unavoidable and the blame can hardly be laid on Tesla or Elon Musk. 🤷‍♂️
I completely agree with this, especially the 20% or less conversion rate. I expect 100% of the single motor reservations to go unfilled. Probably 90% or more of the additional orders will go unfilled unless flipping them proves to be a profitable option.

I have two orders, a dual and a tri. I expect to have the option on the dual first due to battery constraints. I plan to try it out, see if the range is enough for my family, and see what kind of ride sharing business opportunities are available. When the tri becomes available I'll make my decision on getting it or not. I have no clue if I will just keep the dual as my driver, keep the dual for ride sharing, or sell the dual and just go with the tri. A Y with the trailer hitch might also be all I need.

The media and analysts will probably call next weeks China numbers a disaster, pretending they still don't know that few cars are delivered in the first month of the quarter. I remember when the anonymous report that there were only 8,000 orders in May came out people on CNBC said we'd know if it's true when we see the July delivery numbers. They chose July to be the defining month because it's the slow deliveries month of the quarter. They'll say this proves it was true and demand has indeed collapsed in China.

Has anyone experience with Volvo’s eXC40? Jenny has family who are debating between it and a Model Y…..I’d like to learn more about it before I start in on them about why they don’t want it……
Ah, how about history?

Every NON-Tesla EV appears to have massive value loss on the resale market, AFAIK, without exception.

Second point: Supercharger network.

Third point: OTA updates.

Fourth point: Every EV sold by Volvo just helps them sell more ICE SUV's without penalty. I think we'd all prefer them to buy expensive credits from Tesla to further the cause, vs. just allowing more of the status quo.

I completely agree with this, especially the 20% or less conversion rate. I expect 100% of the single motor reservations to go unfilled. Probably 90% or more of the additional orders will go unfilled unless flipping them proves to be a profitable option.

I have two orders, a dual and a tri. I expect to have the option on the dual first due to battery constraints. I plan to try it out, see if the range is enough for my family, and see what kind of ride sharing business opportunities are available. When the tri becomes available I'll make my decision on getting it or not. I have no clue if I will just keep the dual as my driver, keep the dual for ride sharing, or sell the dual and just go with the tri. A Y with the trailer hitch might also be all I need.
The sales of the single motor variant may surprise. Inter-city Robo delivery (think Home Depot) and Gov't/Military base vehicles would work fine with the single motor. I ordered 10 trucks in the hope that Robo-taxi is up and running (2 tri's,1 single motor, and 7 duals). The orders were spread out over 7 months so I locked in FSD at 7k/8k/9k.

Let me expand further. If CT does in fact have those 1.25 million preorders and we eliminate 500,000 right off the top for duplication orders, people who aren’t serious, padding orders, whathaveyou, that still leaves 750,000.

If Tesla comes out of the gate at a production rate of 250,000 CT/yr - which won’t happen - they’ve got THREE years at that rate of just back orders. Organic growth of demand will explode once people can touch and drive one of these bad boys. I have a waiting list of people who want to drive mine.

We don’t have to go out on a limb at all to know that once Semi hits the road, it will be sold out for the foreseeable future.

I am OWED my $900 this very second and a whole lot more over the coming months and years.

Once we see an actual driving prototype of the next down market model - 12-18 months from that point for production (no, I’m not falling for these current rumors on Twitterverse), then I will be owed a few order of magnitude more.

I finally got to see a solar tile roof this past weekend up close and personal. Give me my money, Wallstreet!

I may have opted for the mountain, first, but the island will follow at some point.
I've got a hill I'll sell you...

• Funny
Reactions: capster
I'm having a home built in what is called "America's first solar-powered town". Every home garage is being equipped to charge an electric vehicle. Below is an article indicating the need for this to become the norm.

MarketWatch: Buying a home? Why you should ask whether it’s wired for electric vehicles even if you don’t own one

Excerpt:

What each of those numbers mean is that even if you don’t see yourself in the market for an electric vehicle right now, there’s a growing likelihood that you’ll own an EV while you live in your current home or in the very next property you buy.

For drivers already convinced to go with a gas/electric hybrid or a full EV, it’s the vehicle’s strain on older or underpowered home electrical systems that can sober up a house search fast. Fractured charging infrastructure pushes most EV owners to get in those long charges at home, which means that until greater spending on roadside charging stations emerges and plug-in time speeds up, home setups really matter.

Ah, how about history?

Every NON-Tesla EV appears to have massive value loss on the resale market, AFAIK, without exception.

Second point: Supercharger network.

Third point: OTA updates.

Fourth point: Every EV sold by Volvo just helps them sell more ICE SUV's without penalty. I think we'd all prefer them to buy expensive credits from Tesla to further the cause, vs. just allowing more of the status quo.
That is certainly true of most but not Geely, nor Volvo. They explicitly state to be 100% BEV by 2020:
Right now in many markets Volvo does not sell pure-ice. Their entire lineup is hybrid and rapidly adding 100% BEV models.
Their parent, Geely, is making similar moves. They even make the BEV London Taxi:
Geely bought London Taxi out of receivership and immediately set out to design and produce BEV models.

So, please, place your and our ire on those which refuse to adapt, like Toyota.

To your points, one and two have been true thus far.
Still, Tesla is making broader access to Superchargers and other networks are growing rapidly, so that is less an impediment than it has been.

OTA updates: Volvo does them:

The fourth point is mostly, but not entirely, untrue. They're moving rapidly, but they still produce Hybrids as well as BEV.

Maybe you need a fifth point: At present Volvo and parent Geely product both BEV and Hybrid , plus some pure ICE, on multiple modular platforms. Thus far no platform is pure BEV.

And a sixth: Although the navigation and charge locations are provided through Google (natively supports Waze if you prefer) the switchgear, door handles and such are all common with ICE, so no aerodynamic optimization.

And a seventh: even though the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control work pretty well they controls are multi-step and a bit clumsy.

I don't argue that they are perfect from a Teslaphile point of view. They are leagues ahead of most of their competitors.