Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon driving beta 9.3 saying much improved
Hopefully out this Friday?!

Another thing I was thinking about. A problem with using (shared) neural network maps is that every time you retrain you would have to remap. So you pretty much need store the raw video on the cloud. Then they will start needing a massive amount of inference, maybe they should make a Dojo chip for inference!?

Hopefully out this Friday?!

Another thing I was thinking about. A problem with using (shared) neural network maps is that every time you retrain you would have to remap. So you pretty much need store the raw video on the cloud. Then they will start needing a massive amount of inference, maybe they should make a Dojo chip for inference!?
Along these lines I wonder how much memory space vector maps takes versus HD maps. Should be less but I wonder how much less memory it takes up

ok here’s my shot at Elon’s tweet

Nine =9
Rings = zeros
Rings ( more than one ) =2

=$900 SP
In other words: stay strong and HODL. We will be at 900 soon!

at least that’s my story and I’m stickin to it. Of course my explanation above is in no way coloured by my bullish stance on Tesla and my disdain for the BS FUDster treatment TSLA has been getting.

not advise

ok here’s my shot at Elon’s tweet

Nine =9
Rings = zeros
Rings ( more than one ) =2

=$900 SP
In other words: stay strong and HODL. We will be at 900 soon!

at least that’s my story and I’m stickin to it. Of course my explanation above is in no way coloured by my bullish stance on Tesla and my disdain for the BS FUDster treatment TSLA has been getting.

not advise
I sincerely hope that no one here is truly unaware of what Elon is referring to.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Last edited:
Some tweeting between Elon And John Carmack and people asking what I have been thinking for some time now, would John ever consider joining SpaceX (or rather Tesla in my opinion).
This was especially intriguing. I think this was somewhat the way he joined Oculus back in the day :)
Or Neuralink. Out of his comfort zone but he would add gravitas / credibility as a leader.

Reactions: Harrito and Juhoru
Along these lines I wonder how much memory space vector maps takes versus HD maps. Should be less but I wonder how much less memory it takes up

If we look at the presentation at 1.08:00

It was 15 images, not sure about the resolution, maybe 200x200pixels. Hard to tell how large area they represent, maybe 200meters of driving? So lets say 15*200*200 float16 /200m = 15*200*200*2Bytes/0.2 km= 6MB/km. But a lot is sparse, maybe using PNG or heck why not use their own neural network derived compression algorithm, maybe they can reduce it by 90%?! So down to 0.6MB/km? I might be wrong with a few orders of magnitudes… Feel free to do your own guesstimate that is more accurate!

IIRC, Tomtom RoadDNA, which is a HD-map, is around the same data size per km. It’s been a while since I worked with them and it was hard to find the figures. They are using a clever image based compression also:

TL;dr Ford F150 Lightning production max's out at 75K units in 2022 and 165K units in 2023, due to planned bty supply. Here is the source article for SK bty prod. capacity:

Cheers!

Yup, as predicted on May 24, 2021: Ford's Max output of F150 Lightnings will be just 80K/yr by 2024 (if they hit their new targets):

Ford doubles F-150 Lightning production target to over 80k annually for 2024

Tesla will almost certainly be over 250K/yr by 2023, and could easily expand to 500K/yr CTs by 2024 if the design is a hit with customers.

Hint: It's gonna be a home-run with customers... :p

Cheers!

(somewhat click-baity...) Headline on Germany's Handelsblatt (business newspaper/site, German, paywall) this morning:

Tesla attacking German electricity utility market.
The electric car pioneer is offering it's first domestic eco-electricity rates
(in states of Bavaria /BMW/Audi/ and Baden Württemberg /Daimler/Porsche/). Alarm bells ringing at legacy utilities. Particular concern about Tesla's AI-based trading platform (autobidder).
"We take Tesla very seriously and are keeping a close eye on what they are up to", say one of the large German utilities.

(bold is my addition)

...and so it begins! Can't wait for this to be made available in my state (Hesse).

Picture in Germany is this:

• Model S LR : Q1.2022
  • Model S Plaid : Q1.2022
  • Model 3 SR+ : September 2021
  • Model 3 LR : December 2021
  • Model 3 Perf : September 2021
  • Model X LR : Q1.2022
  • Model X Plaid : Q1.2022
  • Model Y LR : September 2021
  • Model Y Perf : Early 2022
So looks like the boats from China had loads of M3 SR+, Perf and Model Y LR on board.
Surely this answers the question as to whether these lead-times are chip constrained or demand drive. Seems to be plenty of chips in China, no?

Surely this answers the question as to whether these lead-times are chip constrained or demand drive. Seems to be plenty of chips in China, no?

Elon mentioned on Twitter that particularly Bosch and Renesas are problematic. Do we know which components they supply? Also, I don't remember where but I read that he mentioned that Tesla are working hard at re-purposing microcontrollers to act in place of chips, where chips are unavailable. Amazing.

TSLA running ↑2x vs macros early in the pre-market:

Nasdaq 100 Sep 21 (NQ=F)
CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
15,380.00 +75.50 (+0.49%)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Aug 24, 2021 05:32 AM EDT.
Consolidated Last Sale$712.91 +6.61 (+0.94%)
Pre-Market Volume30,854
Pre-Market High$714.57 (04:49:27 AM)
Pre-Market Low$710.15 (04:03:50 AM)[/TD

It seems to me that AI day was the end of the beginning as well as the beginning of the end.

FSD is coming to an end. They have a 10k GPU super computer that seems to result in a 2 wk release schedule today. They are perhaps 1 yr away from an integrated highway/surface street NN that can likely achieve design goals of FSD with HW 4. They are beginning this march to this conclusion. The term semi-sentient was used.

This achievement is simultaneously the beginning of humanoid autonomous robots which is the necessary purpose of Dojo, Dojo plus and HW 4 and the next gen vision suite. This is the beginning of a path toward a new end.

In what way was that a sharp curve? I see no point in using their assist system if it's just the same as "keeping the car straight, on straight sections." I might as well hold the wheel in place with some duct tape and close my eyes!
In case someone hasn´t seen this yet: this drive by AIDRIVR does have some nice curves (but still not especially sharp IMHO) and FSD Beta handles it beautifully: