Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall someone mentioned somewhere a while back that it was between $2000 and $3000 .

Found a chart (of shipping 40' containers) that seems to back that up, with some assumptions.

Port fees (at Shanghai and Europe) might add another $300 at each end.

View attachment 709520

I think this is irrelevant, as Tesla are not using containers, but rather RoRo ships to transport their cars. Also, I'm pretty sure they will be chartering the whole vessel. I remember reading somewhere that it can cost up to $200K / day to operate large container ships. with 3000 - 6000 cars per ship, that breaks down to §34 - $67 per car per day. Asssuming 25 days shipping, that's $850 - $1675 cost per car. Now add margin....and handling before / after shipping, etc.

Considering the undated information provided here, it seems RoRo is about 50% of container shipping (this seems to be for retail customers, so the discount might be higher if you're chartering the whole ship.)

RoRo rates are then calculated on volume occupied per car. Again, assuming Tesla is chartering the whole ship this might be irrelevant too.

Also I would assume Tesla are not buying RoRo freight on the spot market, hence their unit costs might be very bespoke and contracted.

According to ID.3- en ID.4-rijders kunnen zich eindelijk Tesla-rijder voelen id3 and Id4 drivers can now finally feel like Tesla drivers because the software update that enables over-the-air updates is available to the general public as of now.
IIRC, that’s 2 weeks later than expected.
In Elon time.

I was at a SuC on Monday night in the middle of Germany, and an ID.3 driver pulled into the stall next to me and very matter-of-factly started to try to plug in. I watched him struggle for a while thinking this might be a beta-tester for the future SuC usage by 3rd parties, but he was getting frustrated.....so then I mentioned that the SuC are for Teslas only. He was truly confused and irritated and mentioned that he thought the SuC were open to everyone and that now he has a problem because he's low on battery....

I guess he was trying to feel like a Tesla driver too.

...did help him to find the nearest fast-charger with one of my apps since he had no idea how, just to be a nice human being.

Great News - Troy is reporting that Production at Shanghai was 41,754 in August giving us an annual run rate of 501k.
I was anticipating 39k in production, so the 41.8k number is encouraging.

edit: I am not sure where Troy sourced this number. The CPCA is expected to report Aug production mid next week.

View attachment 709527

The real excitement here is the relative Y/3 production. I get the impression that the actual production cost of the Y is not really much more than the 3, but the price is way higher, and the margins thus WAY better. Once they really have casting sorted, I suspect the production cost of Y may even be lower than 3, but for a higher price.

Its impressive to see such production figures for the Y during covid AND a global parts shortage. And to think that this is without any advertising whatsoever, and the very very early days of EV adoption.

It feels once again like Tesla are about to break out to frankly insanely good profits and revenues, and wall st are sat on their backsides wondering if a 1% improvement in the latest iphone is something they should invest into... Hopefully by mid october at Q3 earnings they will finally see the light, but good as Q3 P&D will be, its the margins and thus the profits that will be the eye opener for many (and thats even without FSD revenue).

Once they really have casting sorted, I suspect the production cost of Y may even be lower than 3, but for a higher price.

Okay, but why on earth have Tesla not created front and rear castings for the 3? It seems so counter to the spirit of roll out every incremental improvement anybody can think of. Could IDRA be production-limited or something?

Okay, but why on earth have Tesla not created front and rear castings for the 3? It seems so counter to the spirit of roll out every incremental improvement anybody can think of. Could IDRA be production-limited or something?
Elon addressed that (exact reference eludes me at the moment), the sheet metal assembly is less efficient, but it's working. So no big drive/ incentive to switch existing lines.

If Mach-e that is built in Mexico by Mexican workers gets $12.5K rebate while Model Y that is built in California by American workers gets $8K rebate then clearly something is not right (ahem).

Nobody can defend this bill if the above is true. This will not pass as it is.

What happened to "American made, American jobs" during the process? What are the most American Made cars in the US?

The thought just crossed my mind how insider trading and similar private knowledge about stocks is the double-top-secret holy grail that so many on Wall St. dream about being able to apply and reap the benefits without being caught.

Yet, Tesla's golden data is publicly available, updated by the minute for all purposes, and is practically screaming at them, while seemingly being ignored by those who come up with a plethora of excuses about why they don't like making money the easy way.

I suppose it is human nature to give less weight to information that is widely available, regardless of the value or accuracy of the content.

What is old adage, "A prophet is always someone from more than ten miles away."

Or, in the case of TSLA, maybe they think a profit is something that shouldn't come that easily. Maybe this is the mindset that limits analysts and investors from getting onboard as the price continues to follow the now two year trend to the stratosphere.

I expect they'll come around. Eventually.

Somehow, a picture of a them running to catch the train comes to mind.

1631712092176.png

Last edited:
According to ID.3- en ID.4-rijders kunnen zich eindelijk Tesla-rijder voelen id3 and Id4 drivers can now finally feel like Tesla drivers because the software update that enables over-the-air updates is available to the general public as of now.
IIRC, that’s 2 weeks later than expected.
In Elon time.

Do you have any way of appraising how comprehensive of updates this allows? My understanding was that the ID3 and ID4 would never have the ability to update ALL software over-the-air due to so many modules running isolated software that is not accessible by the system software.

Perhaps @The Accountant , @Artful Dodger or other authoritative people might comment in how soon subscription revenue and vehicle resale will become material:

We have discussed FSD quite a bit but I don't recall Premium Connectivity. The latter now does OTA updates, which were discontinued around 2018 or so IIRC. \Now it not only includes those but also prompts for upgrades within the app. For example, I just did 2021.31.10 for my new Plaid in the app from Brazil. That never has happened before. Perhaps I have missed the significance of that. When added features are happening more often with all the games, Netflix, Spotify Premium etc. the $9.99 per month is becoming compelling. It should be material soon.

Then there are certainly other OTA features on their way, now that ModelS is first, but not last, with very large infotainment and functional features.

In this environment I suspect the NA take rate for Premium connectivity might well exceed 50%. There should be margins close to 80% on that feature, so even, say, a half million subscriptions should yield ~$48 million for next year alone.

We also are beginning to have out-of-warranty parts and service revenue. Even with the onset of new non-Tesla options, the sales of service manuals, parts and service are now material, almost certainly, although they are not disclosed (nor are they disclosed by other OEM's). Further collision parts, and even Tesla collision repair, are now almost certainly material. At the moment I do not know how to estimate those revenues nor margins, but with some work we might make reasonable guesses.

Vehicle resale is now significant, but is about to become very large as lease returns and owner repeat sales with trades begin to grow rapidly, as they are now doing. Some typical US auto dealers used car margins are around 14% pre tax (sources not public data, so I used broad averages from several groups for which I have had data). Tesla current practices seem to imply at least similar margins. Of course the present used car very hot market will not last indefinitely. For that reason I used data from 2000/2005 rather than more recent data too establish likely margins.

These several categories will be joined soon by aftermarket modification sales. Elon recently suggested that aftermarket modification could offer enhancements Tesla would not have scale to justify at factory level. He did NOT imply that Tesla might offer such options in the Tesla store. However, he must be aware of the very attractive profits offers from others like this one:
Almost all the Porsche stuff is built by others. Tesla already dabbles in that, but now they are approaching the options of software upgrades, wheels, tires and cosmetic modifications plus the really big items, retrofitted battery upgrades, motor, and inviter upgrades and more. They have dabbled in those with the very, very profitable Ludicrous upgrade for the P85D and battery upgrades for the original roadster. Of course the OTA acceleration boosts were effictely 100% gross margin, and were very popular because they also were a bargain.

It is time to beak down there categories and try to quantify them. Initially we'll probably struggle, but we are about to see the benefits of all these this quarter, rising very quickly thereafter. At one OEM the aggregate of all these equals more net income than does new vehicle sales. I cannot disclose my source because no OEM actually discloses all of these elements, choosing instead to aggregate them in undescriptive accounts. Anyone who's ever audited a major OEM will be well aware of all these elements.

Very interesting, and lucky I should say. You should be able to buy back the shares and get into your original position and net about $12 per contract. That's more than the spread width. Might have been a fat finger mistake. All good unless it's impacting taxes creating an unexpected tax liabilityI. It might just be a fat finger on your counterparties' part. If you don't mind, was it more than 1 contract?

Don't think a gamma squeeze is in play, but never say never. It feels like longs have been selling premiums with abandon, and when they stop it might create more upward pressure
It was 8 contracts.

Yes, there’s the factor of significant taxes in this case for me.

The real excitement here is the relative Y/3 production. I get the impression that the actual production cost of the Y is not really much more than the 3, but the price is way higher, and the margins thus WAY better. Once they really have casting sorted, I suspect the production cost of Y may even be lower than 3, but for a higher price.

Its impressive to see such production figures for the Y during covid AND a global parts shortage. And to think that this is without any advertising whatsoever, and the very very early days of EV adoption.

It feels once again like Tesla are about to break out to frankly insanely good profits and revenues, and wall st are sat on their backsides wondering if a 1% improvement in the latest iphone is something they should invest into... Hopefully by mid october at Q3 earnings they will finally see the light, but good as Q3 P&D will be, its the margins and thus the profits that will be the eye opener for many (and thats even without FSD revenue).
I think the Y is less expensive to make.[too].
As for the 3, There is a large fixed cost of safety testing after a structural change. And there is always opportunity cost. Cyber truck sooner and Y production capacity are the best returns on investment. The 3 is a low seat sports sedan. Not best robotaxi.

She does give explanations of her perceptions and thinking which is the gold standard for beta testers. You need a variety of inputs to improve a product. Far from wasting an opportunity, she is delivering the feedback the company needs to improve the product as I see it.

There seems to be a false narrative related to disengagements developing that could lead to accidents. Counting/tracking disengagements as a YouTube click magnet is probably going to lead to something unfortunate if it evolves into a competition.
Not really a valid point. We are all happy for her to report all the things she is not happy about, but not in the videos. We want to see the way that the software handles mistakes. Several other reviewers do that, only intercepting when it is clearly dangerous.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed

Elon made the point that it's hard to change the wheels of a bus going 80mph on the highway in his interview with Sandy Munro. Casting will come to Model 3 but not right now.

I was at a SuC on Monday night in the middle of Germany, and an ID.3 driver pulled into the stall next to me and very matter-of-factly started to try to plug in. I watched him struggle for a while thinking this might be a beta-tester for the future SuC usage by 3rd parties, but he was getting frustrated.....so then I mentioned that the SuC are for Teslas only. He was truly confused and irritated and mentioned that he thought the SuC were open to everyone and that now he has a problem because he's low on battery....

I guess he was trying to feel like a Tesla driver too.

...did help him to find the nearest fast-charger with one of my apps since he had no idea how, just to be a nice human being.

I think you must have witnessed some street theatre by someone wanting to watch the reaction of Tesla drivers and/or make the point that Tesla STILL hasn't opened their network up to non-Tesla. I would think as soon as he held the charge handle in his hand he would realize that wasn't going to work.

Kind of like the Tesla driver who pulled into a gas station and acted confused that there was no hole to put gasoline in.

Reactions: UncaNed and Drax7