Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Can someone tell me if this is actually a thing? I always thought FCF is just too random for Tesla to use as any kind of metric for valuation calculation purposes.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
I think any company should be looking for ways to put themselves out of business, because if they dont someone else will.

some industries like cars have a very tall and wide gate but its still just a gate.
Agreed. I think that is a central tenet to the model that Elon has created within Tesla. It’s a mix of the agile processes that were highlighted in the Joe Justice video + a clear mission and the ongoing management leadership. It is a thing of beauty.

As an aside, I bought my first Tesla because I thought it would be fun to be a part of a new innovation and it was cool looking, good for the planet and fun. As I’ve now journeyed to the center of the business and am watching how the dough ( 🤑 ) is made, I have had my second epiphany. A little later to the party than some, but in time to still have a great ride.

Can someone tell me if this is actually a thing? I always thought FCF is just too random for Tesla to use as any kind of metric for valuation calculation purposes.

We already know Free Cash Flow is going to be impacted by whatever bond buyback they did early in Q3, right? I didn't see anything suggesting they would use some kind of "adjusted FCF" to account for stuff like that. Plus the shift between FSD-up-front vs. FSD-subscription impacts short-term FCF even if subscriptions are going to be more lucrative long-term. The idea of judging Tesla on their free cash flow seems a little absurd.

Are you new around here? Because that's only 10% higher than last Spring. But you have my permission to ask the same question in 3 or 4 more years. 🤣
I was thinking about this on my drive home. Our last parabolic peak was 900. For a business growing at >50%, wouldn't it be reasonable for the next parabolic peak to be 50% higher? Any speculation about parabolic peaks is probably futile because they're pretty irrational but there is a logic to it. And that logic takes us to 1350. I'm not greedy though, I'll be content with 1200.

CNBC's Kelly Evans: "The lure of Tesla", trending on Apple News.
Pretty basic take. People are beginning to take notice of Tesla as a better choice. The choice.

Tesla is still an enigma to most. Of all my family and friends I am aware of only one that has a Tesla and two that invest in TSLA. Many of my friends are car buffs and ironically they will be the last to "get BEV", the ones that idolized their ICE cars during their youth. It is a tough pill to swallow when the their world gets turned upside down. It requires a whole new way of thinking.

I was thinking about this on my drive home. Our last parabolic peak was 900. For a business growing at >50%, wouldn't it be reasonable for the next parabolic peak to be 50% higher? Any speculation about parabolic peaks is probably futile because they're pretty irrational but there is a logic to it. And that logic takes us to 1350. I'm not greedy though, I'll be content with 1200.
1200 is my trigger to feel wealthy enough to buy a Model S, (Blue with white interior, stealth wrap). No, I won’t trade in my Model 3, I love it too much. No, I won’t sell any of my TSLA, 1200 is still much lower than it’s true value!

Using FCF yield is one way to try to value growth stocks, particularly where not generating net operating margins (due to high depreciation for instance or other non cash expenses like stock based comp). It’s fickle though, because FCF is calculated as cash flow from operations less capital investments.

So, an entity in “full growth” mode may not have much FCF as it keeps pouring more money in to assets to generate future cash flows. That said, Tesla is doing that AND still generating FCF.

Could be. I was figuring if they spent the money this quarter it would be reflected in the cash flow for this quarter, but perhaps that's not correct.
Long term debt repayment is ignored for FCF.

That said, the FCF levels being generated now are going to result in A LOT more coverage in whether Tesla will ever pay dividends or start buybacks. Hoarding cash won’t be well received by institutional investors.

That's around where I see us going in this little window of 3Q and 4Q numbers, $1350. I had thought more conservatively at first, maybe 850 then 1000. But logically TSLA needed to go a further extreme one way or the other. That seems to be how Wall Street wants it.

If it's either "too low" or "too high" they can make the most money on a daily and weekly basis. In this instance, clearly it's shooting higher due to lack of available shares, so I think the safe bet is much higher.

Sitting at $600, it was easy to draw a line to $6B in earnings and a near term 100 PE ratio. Hard to argue that's way too high for a company growing 70-100%. Once we cross the $1T valuation, the real arguments can start about what Tesla is worth. That's how they like it. Confusing.

Last edited:
I'm exiting tomorrow everyone...It has been a great ride with y'all but this tweet just swayed me and i am totally spooked now :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

View attachment 723067

As Ford Authority reported earlier this year, the Ford Mustang Mach-E will be manufactured by Changan Ford – a 50:50 joint venture between Changan Automobile and Ford Motor Company – in China for local customers, as opposed to the Ford Cuautitlan Assembly Plant in Mexico, which produces the Mach-E for North America and Europe.

Is Tesla still the only wholly owned car company in China? Isn't Ford worried their partner is going to steal the Blue Cruise technology?! 🤣

I know a TSLA investor that sells leap calls once year and lives off the proceeds. Never having to have the shares called away. NOT investment advice and obviously far OTM leaps. (sooner or later he will get those shares called away but at a huge price)

Interesting. But I'd say the time for that method is over, because the "huge price" is not huge enough.

The farthest OTM calls you can sell now are Jan 2024 1600c for $90. I could live for a year on the proceeds from selling 5 of those ($45k). But by Jan 2024, I expect the share price to be at least double the strike price, so I would miss out on gains of at least $1600 x 500 shares = $800,000. No thanks.

Tesla's growth is starting up the steep part of the S-curve now, and TSLA is likely to reflect it.

Using FCF yield is one way to try to value growth stocks, particularly where not generating net operating margins (due to high depreciation for instance or other non cash expenses like stock based comp). It’s fickle though, because FCF is calculated as cash flow from operations less capital investments.

So, an entity in “full growth” mode may not have much FCF as it keeps pouring more money in to assets to generate future cash flows. That said, Tesla is doing that AND still generating FCF.

Long term debt repayment is ignored for FCF.

That said, the FCF levels being generated now are going to result in A LOT more coverage in whether Tesla will ever pay dividends or start buybacks. Hoarding cash won’t be well received by institutional investors.
Institutional investors seems to love Apple being a cash hoarder no?