Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In todays edition of “First world problems”; I too have contemplated a roadster; but I pause for two reasons: 1) because I think about what $50k in TSLA will do in the meantime and 2) I’m attached to my TMC username.

When delivery dates get closer I too will likely experience roadster FOMO.
People have been ordering Roadsters and just giving the initial $5k and not the rest of the $50k and nothing happens. Tesla doesn't cancel their orders or anything. I don't think Tesla is really fussed about the money these days and you have to pay for the whole car anyways before they will deliver it.

True - prospectus would not attribute fund under-performance to any specific stock while still reporting holdings and their weights as of end of the reporting period. Subjectively fund manager's underperformance with TSLA at full weight in the portfolio looks less damming than similar underperformance while underweight on TSLA. But who is really looking at this level of detail? I am asking because I really do not know

... "prospectus Xmas dressing" does not directly affect managers renumeration and has only slight impact on sales/AUM in 2022, thus I do not think it would be driver for significant demand throughout Dec, especially if SP keeps on rising making rebalancing more costly.
I no longer invest in funds but I always looked at the top 10 holdings listing to see if I knew anything about what they invested in. 5-10 years ago most investors didn't know what Tesla was. I think this past 2 weeks has gotten a lot of attention and educated quite a few of them. I don't think it has any material gain for them since they missed the boat years ago, but I guess it's better to get on board the rocket rather than be left in the crater to die.

If you haven’t spat out your coffee yet today, I present a qualified opportunity to make up for it….

“Ford is arguably the most exciting electric-vehicle manufacturer in the U.S. at the moment.”

Wow that is a bad article. Well not really an article more of a extended tweet.

Reactions: Nocturnal
1636057152329.png

Hahahahahahaahaha..... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

TL: DR

1636057184213.png

1636057237632.png

Gigapress alloy patent released.

"A high performance die castable aluminum alloy is described, wherein the aluminum alloy is characterized as having a high yield strength and high conductivity, and also a high flowability and low susceptibility to hot tearing when die cast"

Is 4-6% Nickel. May further explain the "Please mine more Ni" comments.

Patent says that this alloy also has unusually good electrical conductivity and will be used in rotors in the motors.

Last edited:
I'm officially on FSD beta! My safety score has been 99 for 5 days. This is on my 2017 XP100DL+.

Like the SP; I'm over the moon!!!

The rollout of FSD continues

View attachment 729359
For some reason safety score of 99 and XP100DL doesn't mesh with my train of thought....please help prove me wrong :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

My training is in Mechanical Engineering, after slide rules and before computational fluid dynamics (CFD). A key part of undergraduate was finding the punch card machine that no one knew about under the stairwell, somewhere. Then making sure you double banded the stack of cards, so that you did not drop them and lose the order, on the way to computer hub where you put them in a pigeon hole. They would run the cards and in the afternoon you would get your deck back with some green and white tractor paper with results.
That dang punch card machine. Grade 9 Computer Science class back in '82. The Department head had ordered too many punch cards from previous years and we worked throught the slog. After one year of crunching zeros and ones I thought if this is personal computing, it is never going to fly, and I missed out on the whole personal computer wave. Thankfully I'm not missing out on the BEV wave. Great time to be alive!

If you haven’t spat out your coffee yet today, I present a qualified opportunity to make up for it….

“Ford is arguably the most exciting electric-vehicle manufacturer in the U.S. at the moment.”

"Arguably" does not mean what they think it means.

Wealthy individuals with more than $10 million in retirement savings would have to draw down their accounts each year
Wealthy individuals with more than $10 million in retirement savings would have to draw down their accounts each year, but only if they make more than $400,000 a year single or $450,000 married.

So if my TSLA somehow takes me over $10 million I'm still going to be pulling less than $400,000 a year in my projected distributions unless it goes over $15 million before I retire.

Doesn't seem like a problem to me, maybe some of the others on this board would have to shuffle some money around but even then it's doable to avoid this issue. The article mentions multiple types of tax shelters you could use to avoid it.