Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. You got that wrong. Buffett has 150B in cash (or near cash) right now. He has no margin debt. What he has done is to generate insurance float which is expected to be near permanent. Also close to 150B. He uses much of that money to invest in low risk businesses. Borrowing money from a broker for a margin loan is about 100 times more risky than what Buffett is doing.

I need to find that analysis, and read it again. I knew about the float and the cash they sit on. That analysis of Berkshire’s investments since inception was making it sound that they would have had mediocre results if not for leveraging ~30%. Thanks.

Yeah. It just seems a bit strange why he said all that on Twitter. Maybe there’s something we obviously don’t know, just like the first time he did this.
Tesla needs to hire thousands in Texas and Germany. A cost basis for new-hire stock options that is perceived as still on the runway could be a recruitment tailwind in an undersized talent pool.

[edit: or stave off a recruitment headwind]

Last edited:
I voted yes. If I can sell %10 of mine to do whatever I want then so Elon. I’m sure big investors are happy to take his share before it go to open market. The stock will be down but it’s an opportunity for anyone want to build up on tsla position. We’re still on second innings.
Elon is asking if he should sell 10% just to satisfy all this criticism from the left about billionaires not paying taxes. He didn't ask you for permission on what to do with his shares.

I’m well aware he did not ask for my permission,but he did ask for a vote
Yes, just fully understand what the vote means. I voted no because Elon shouldn't be bullied into realizing his gains from people who doesn't understand taxes and finances. He can sell for whatever reason, but for the reason of attempting to stop criticism gets a no vote from me. The guy already sold all his houses due to all the criticism and that didn't do crap. Unreasonable people will not stop until Elon redistribute all his wealth to all of his workers and the American people because "without x, y and z, he wouldn't be so wealthy".

What’s he gonna do with all that cash???
Once starship launch system is perfected, it is going to soak up billions in capital building out the mars colonial fleet and associated infrastructure. Capital requirements will be much more cash than currently generated by SpaceX customers.

Elon is now in a position that he can fund it all himself, he doesn’t need the other SpaceX investors help, and he no longer needs nasa’s funding to start test launching ships to mars.

And he can also massively ramp up boring company projects, again without needing customers to fund it.

Yes, just fully understand what the vote means. I voted no because Elon shouldn't be bullied into realizing his gains from people who doesn't understand taxes and finances. He can sell for whatever reason, but for the reason of attempting to stop criticism gets a no vote from me. The guy already sold all his houses due to all the criticism and that didn't do crap. Unreasonable people will not stop until Elon redistribute all his wealth to all of his workers and the American people because "without x, y and z, he wouldn't be so wealthy".
You do know the people bullying do not believe in private ownership of anything, let alone stock, means of production or differences in retirement condition or healthcare.

Agree that the criticism does occasionally get under his skin. He does not like being misunderstood. Unfortunately he will probably not change minds via actions like this (especially since much of the villainizing is amplified by opponents in disrupted industries); only through continued advancement of humanity through his endeavors.

Reactions: Drax7 and CaliBear1