Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This guy blowing up his Tesla is definitely getting lots of traction. I would like to know more of the back story. Some rumours of that it was an import from the US and was a 60 KW battery that had failed. Not sure if Tesla replaced it with a 90 kw or he had a local shop replace it. Sounds fishy. Why wouldn’t he just get a rebuild. Weird.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I don’t love that, but I’ve noticed some divergence between profile capabilities between our March produced model Y and October produced model 3. Our model 3 automatically adjusts to my profile when I get in. Our Y does not. My wife primarily drives the Y, and it doesn’t automatically switch to her profile when she gets in. So for now, in our 3, it’s not a problem. But it’s annoying in the Y.

I haven’t noticed this automatic profile switching as an option in the menus, but maybe I’ve missed it.
There is a way to link your phone to your profile. It's not the easiest to find but it's there.

This guy blowing up his Tesla is definitely getting lots of traction. I would like to know more of the back story. Some rumours of that it was an import from the US and was a 60 KW battery that had failed. Not sure if Tesla replaced it with a 90 kw or he had a local shop replace it. Sounds fishy. Why wouldn’t he just get a rebuild. Weird.

He probably figured he'd make more than enough money from the video to buy a new Tesla

I did exactly the same thing. Got a loan from Schwab (Pledged Asset Line at 1.9) to pay for my YLR and used my own cash to buy TSLA a little over a year ago. The total interest paid was a little more than $1400, and the appreciation of the lot is worth more than a Y. 😀
At current inflation rates, a 2.49% loan is free money...

There's some possibility the economy will crash and take TSLA down with it, and also people's jobs. You would still have the loan. I'm not predicting this, but it's a realistic possibility.
He could still sell the car to pay off the loan. Or just stop paying the loan and have the car repossessed. Nothing is set in stone, and there are always ways out.

The only thing is: buying a car is generally not an investment. Buying stock is.

I did the same with my Model Y LR, financed it rather than sell any shares. I'll sell one share every month or two over the five years to pay it off. I'm certain the shares will increase in value much faster than the 2% interest on the loan accumulates.

This is the way.
I can't make up my mind on this. I bought 160 shares on margin in May with the grand plan that it would pay for my Model Y. Plan came together and I have enough to pay for the car, taxes and capital gains plus some shares left over. Since I don't like making payments it would be easy to just cash out the shares and pay cash. On the other hand, I'm greedy and like to hoard shares so I'm tempted to pay off the margin and make the monthly payments. I've never made a car payment in my life so it's kind of an adjustment.

He sold the battery and motors. Probably a few bucks there. Something doesn’t smell right. A rebuilt battery and reselling it should have been an option. Wonder what the mileage was.

Based on my reading, the video was sponsored by a wealthy Finnish person who ownes a kind of a supermarket chain ("Kärkkäinen") and is anti-EV. He also is openly against covid-vaccines and advises his personnel not to vaccinate themselves and has given a discount on printers to facilitate the printing of anti-vaccine stickers. He is also a Holocaust-denier. So a nice person overall.

The guy who owned the Tesla first had the battery system repaired somewhere in Europe by a third party after which Tesla did not want anything to do with the car.

The channel that published the whole stunt is of course is after clicks and publicity and have been destroying and blowing up stuff for a while. What gives more clicks these days than blowing up a Tesla?

You are probably starting to understand the motivation to blow up the car. I'm myself from Finland like the owner of the car, the owners of the YouTube channel as well as the sponsor of the video. The stunt has been discussed for several days on the Finnish Tesla Owners Facebook page that I'm a member of.

He could still sell the car to pay off the loan. Or just stop paying the loan and have the car repossessed. Nothing is set in stone, and there are always ways out.

The only thing is: buying a car is generally not an investment. Buying stock is.
Most of us who have been on this forum are probably in a fortunate position where defaulting on a car loan is probably not likely.

Prior to this latest purchase via auto loan, our past several car purchases were via cash. This includes two Model 3s in 2018. But with my conviction on $TSLA, no way would I consider paying cash now.

I can't make up my mind on this. I bought 160 shares on margin in May with the grand plan that it would pay for my Model Y. Plan came together and I have enough to pay for the car, taxes and capital gains plus some shares left over. Since I don't like making payments it would be easy to just cash out the shares and pay cash. On the other hand, I'm greedy and like to hoard shares so I'm tempted to pay off the margin and make the monthly payments. I've never made a car payment in my life so it's kind of an adjustment.
Compare your gains against your interest payments along the way and you'll likely adjust quite easily.

Last edited:
I was in the same situation as you. I hate making payments and have always paid cash for cars. I used to also make additional principal payments against our mortgage payments.

But not anymore. ROI is so much better to put any extra dollars towards TSLA shares.

Seriously, customizing Teslas through things like light shows will drive significant demand. Kids nagging parents for a car that they can program when they see their friends doing it will be a thing.

I don't even have kids, and I'm considering upgrading to a new X. I need to uphold my reputation for being the "coolest uncle"!

Choose the method that allows you to sleep at night. (Then buy more TSLA).

I don’t love that, but I’ve noticed some divergence between profile capabilities between our March produced model Y and October produced model 3. Our model 3 automatically adjusts to my profile when I get in. Our Y does not. My wife primarily drives the Y, and it doesn’t automatically switch to her profile when she gets in. So for now, in our 3, it’s not a problem. But it’s annoying in the Y.

I haven’t noticed this automatic profile switching as an option in the menus, but maybe I’ve missed it.
The setting is where your keys (phones & cards) are displayed. You select the key then associate it to a profile.

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays everyone!

I know it’s the wrong holiday for this message but I am very thankful for Tesla, $TSLA, TMC and the Tesla community in general. 🙏

Only thing that is bittersweet is the market is closed today. 😩
It is never the wrong holiday to be thankful. Lack of gratitude might be the biggest problem in this world.

I am very grateful for TMC and all contributors past and present.

Thank you. All the best to you.