Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas!

I'm seeing a lot of people posting who are getting into FSD beta for the first time. It seems that it is finally rolling out to 98 scores! Welcome and good luck, new FSD beta testers!

From what I've seen on youtube, this version of FSD Beta is very good, but may have potentially dangerous issues with unprotected left turns. Those with the FSD Beta - please do not get complacent in your usage of the FSD Beta. Chuck Cook tests unprotected left turns on every version of FSD Beta, and unfortunately I have to admit that for unprotected left turns specifically, 10.8 seems to have taken a step backward in performance:

We just returned from the Ski Park in our Model X(passing the slow GMCs and RAMs like they were stuck in the snow) and a Range Rover needed to be towed. I also saw the gas prices around $5.20/gal and we got free supercharging this am so thanks so much Elon. Feeling safe in comfort with heated seats and great music. Next a Jacuzzi to ease our X country ski muscles.
Merry Christmas and Happy 2022.
That reminds me (today maybe not OT). In 2016 about this time of the year I rented a Model S70 which I drove to Crater Lake. An overnight large snowstorm happened. I dug out the S70 which had no snow tires. That RWD Tesla drove smoothly out while a Range Rover and a Jeep SUV parked just beside we’re struggling. I did descend very, very carefully. Even today I’m still impressed. Later I drove that car from SFO to Atlanta for the owner. That was a memorable trip.
Along the way I was the first person to charge at a newly activated Supercharger where the Tesla service car was leaving as I entered the hotel parking lot that housed the Supercharger. It did not appear on the car nav until after I had charged.

That trip made me decide to double my TSLA bet.

Fasten your seat belts….oh, why bother!

“Tesla, What have you done to me?”
(Or maybe to us).

[This is an investor relevant complaint posted here for balance.]

1. Received FSD after training for months, and seeing long drive scores of 100, this photo shows what looks like an arthritic hand selecting “chill” mode. “What have you done to me!” “I thought I was average (or above average).”

4397E38D-0395-46D5-B415-B9FA9E93E36F.jpeg

On reflection, to some people, “average” means literally “average.” All I can conclude is that Tesla owners, when trapped in the chains of an incentivized safety scoring system will take their adrenaline hits however they can get them - that means in jackrabbit starts which are “free.”

2. We have really long turn lanes in front of schools nowadays. These lanes end before the road actually turns. There is a new turn lane that shows up later for people who are going places. FSD seems to want to go to school, before it changes its mind and returns to the route.

3. FSD will see a gate arm with red and green running lights that indicate state, but it does not always see a gate arm that is down. It also does not always put the car close enough to an access keypad just before a gate.

Teslas are really nice if the wheels are round and balanced. A bit obsessive about round wheels, I load up 8 tires, 4 mounted to wheels and take them to people who are good at round wheels. All 8 fit in a Model 3, but if not careful One can soil the headliner when putting the tires in the passenger compartment.

The Christmas show is just right.

1B687525-5751-4C3A-AF05-C673A1BFC0CA.jpeg

Bella, seen here, liked it as a break from Christmas night fetching expedition!

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like a bargain for shipping to Europe via the Suez Canal. If Giga Shanghai production is 844K next year, and half of those cars are shipped to Europe, that's 422K exports at a cost of $1K per each car shipped.

But there are two other important implications of this news:
  1. Tesla has locked in logistics support for the coming year at a time when it is extremely challenging for logistics, and
  2. Tesla has production planning for at least 1 year in advance; likely that Giga Shanghai production exceeds 800K in 2022.
That 800K by Giga Shanghai could represent half of Tesla's 2022 annual production. And then we have the Apr 2022 production increase rumor based on new construction in the SW near the Giga Shanghai electrical substation.

It's going to be a very happy and productive New Year! ;)

Cheers!
At $600/car that is a believable rate. By way of comparison a 20-foot container rate from Shanghai to Rotterdam is quoting $1376, and the reverse direction is $8962. Now those are just automated quotes, but they are indicative of the difficulties in the market right now. A Tesla Y is 15-feet long.

(I've been shipping containerloads of stuff to China for the last several years. We get better rates than this, but for online quoting illustrative purposes this is good enough.)

1640426502409.png

1640426561836.png

Shanghai will manufacture about 480,000 cars this year (2021). That article (Tesla signs one-year, $422M contract with Hyundai Glovis to ship Giga Shanghai exports or see Hyundai Glovis seals one-year Tesla shipping deal worth $422m | TradeWinds ) is very specific that this is 700k cars out of only Shanghai. Until now the majority were sold locally with less than (say, for simplicity) a third exported. I had pencilled in 680k of Shanghai production for 2022. I really don't know how to conceive of 700k exports from China in 2022, that would be outrageous volumes.

The possible explanations I can come up with are:
1) It is actually a multi-year deal; (seems unlikely given the very specific news)
2) It includes exports out of USA, not only China; (seems unlikely given the very specific news)
3) Perhaps there is an element of triangular shipping intended here, much as Caterpillar excel in between their various plants. So (say) China-EU-Brazil-China with say a 3-biased lift coming out of China to EU, offload most of the 3's in EU and add in some Berlin Ys, down to Brazil and offload everything, return to China empty (for now). There can be Ys of different models going in both directions, perhaps even a pick-up and/or drop-off in the Texas Gulf ports.

Like I said before, the numbers just get bonkers.

Happy Christmas (or whatever) to all.

Merry Christmas!

I'm seeing a lot of people posting who are getting into FSD beta for the first time. It seems that it is finally rolling out to 98 scores! Welcome and good luck, new FSD beta testers!

Seems after two updates yesterday, I got it with a 97. Safety Score is now gone from my app. I haven't driven the car yet, but all the FSD 10.8 release notes are showing up.

At $600/car that is a believable rate. By way of comparison a 20-foot container rate from Shanghai to Rotterdam is quoting $1376, and the reverse direction is $8962. Now those are just automated quotes, but they are indicative of the difficulties in the market right now. A Tesla Y is 15-feet long.

(I've been shipping containerloads of stuff to China for the last several years. We get better rates than this, but for online quoting illustrative purposes this is good enough.)

View attachment 748211
View attachment 748212

Shanghai will manufacture about 480,000 cars this year (2021). That article (Tesla signs one-year, $422M contract with Hyundai Glovis to ship Giga Shanghai exports or see Hyundai Glovis seals one-year Tesla shipping deal worth $422m | TradeWinds ) is very specific that this is 700k cars out of only Shanghai. Until now the majority were sold locally with less than (say, for simplicity) a third exported. I had pencilled in 680k of Shanghai production for 2022. I really don't know how to conceive of 700k exports from China in 2022, that would be outrageous volumes.

1) It is actually a multi-year deal; (seems unlikely given the very specific news)
2) It includes exports out of USA, not only China; (seems unlikely given the very specific news)
3) Perhaps there is an element of triangular shipping intended here, much as Caterpillar excel in between their various plants. So (say) China-EU-Brazil-China with say a 3-biased lift coming out of China to EU, offload most of the 3's in EU and add in some Berlin Ys, down to Brazil and offload everything, return to China empty (for now). There can be Ys of different models going in both directions, perhaps even a pick-up and/or drop-off in the Texas Gulf ports.

China 3s to Europe and Berlin Ys to China?
Fremont (via other carrier) to China to Europe for X and S?

You still have one more TMC ghost to visit this night.

In my dream ( probably a bad bit of cheese) Karen ( the TMC ghost of future Christmases ) appeared before me and took me to a beautiful orange orchard.

It was beautiful. The orange blossoms were very fragrant.

I was very content,
But just as I was waking up, she told me it was in Iceland.

Last edited:
I can't make up my mind on this. I bought 160 shares on margin in May with the grand plan that it would pay for my Model Y. Plan came together and I have enough to pay for the car, taxes and capital gains plus some shares left over. Since I don't like making payments it would be easy to just cash out the shares and pay cash. On the other hand, I'm greedy and like to hoard shares so I'm tempted to pay off the margin and make the monthly payments. I've never made a car payment in my life so it's kind of an adjustment.
Same situation as you.
I paid all my cars cash in my life, even my Model 3. But I learned from that $56k 2019 Model 3 mistake that I could have invested in TSLA instead.
So I invested the $85k of my Model Y at the last $570 TSLA dip and financed my Model Y.
I was slowly paying my margin with work money until I started selling weeklies options 30% OTM. Now, my margin is paying itself. Magic of Christmas. Merry Christmas to all TSLA investors and thanks to everyone who have helped me and shared their wisdom over the years. This community has been a life changer for many of us! I wish you all good health and TSLA to $3000 by 2023.

China 3s to Europe and Berlin Ys to China?
Fremont (via other carrier) to China to Europe for X and S?
Others (such as jbcarioca - I won't at him as it's crimble) could reel off the major markets Tesla aren't servicing. Tesla Bjorn videos in Thailand highlight one area. AFAIK, no import taxes for Chinese-made cars, but instead a grey market from UK/Hong Kong (Right-Hand Drive country).

Surely Russia, Turkey, Middle East & Africa are the best export markets for Berlin? Maybe India (political - China) & some of South America too? It may be years before Berlin supply exceeds Europe demand though.

I think China <> Europe Tesla cars will be China>Europe only for this deal. I can't think what could go the other way - I think it ends up with a similar situation to having empty containers outside China.

On that final note, @petit_bateau - from your numbers/images/quotes isn't it cheaper Rotterdam (EU) > Shansen (China)?

"By way of comparison a 20-foot container rate from Shanghai to Rotterdam is quoting $1376, and the reverse direction is $8962"
1640435909704.png

1640435928684.png

On that final note, @petit_bateau - from your numbers/images/quotes isn't it cheaper Rotterdam (EU) > Shansen (China)?

"By way of comparison a 20-foot container rate from Shanghai to Rotterdam is quoting $1376, and the reverse direction is $8962"
View attachment 748231

View attachment 748232
For many years it has ordinarily been cheaper to ship Europe >> China than China >> Europe, whether by sea or rail. The reason is that the containers come to Europe full of Chinese goods, but since less goods flow back they are otherwise simply shipping empty containers back. That is why one can get better freight rates going to China than out of China. Ditto for US-China trade I believe. Similar things occur on other routes.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
For many years it has ordinarily been cheaper to ship Europe >> China than China >> Europe, whether by sea or rail. The reason is that the containers come to Europe full of Chinese goods, but since less goods flow back they are otherwise simply shipping empty containers back. That is why one can get better freight rates going to China than out of China. Ditto for US-China trade I believe. Similar things occur on other routes.
Though a ro-ro is different from a container ship in terms of the cargo it can haul.

View attachment 748211
View attachment 748212

We are all forgetting that Hyundai Glovis :
Just as with the VAG deal last year they do NOT give all the details. Until the VAG and TSLA deals shippers very rarely disclosed contract pricing. In both of these deals they did, but the details have been sufficiently opaque that almost everyone has perhaps misinterpreted the scope of the deals.
The greatest possible misinterpretation is the assumption that these deals were all about completed vehicle shipment, because that is what was disclosed.
The first Clue: On the4 linked Hyundai Glovis first page they discuss SCM, only SCM at the top line;
The second clue: Check Hyundai Glovis global entities and compare with revenue sources:

Without delving too much into financial weeds, we only need to note that KD is a major business line:

Virtually the only commentary about TSLA logistics in this forum and others is about completed vehicles. That ignores the absolute majority of shipping and logistics businesses. Hyundai Glovis came into existence to help the Hyundai Group in all it's logistics needs from Completed vehicles, CKD, parts and industrial equipment. The KD part of their business refers now to Korea and the Hyundai Group. Is that all?
Parts logistics:

I admittedly only know details about one Hyundai Glovis customer. That one has quite carefully managed disclosures, which mention nothing at all about their largest categories. The clues above give hints about how it all works. There are two more important points:
1. Hyundai Glovis is not a public company, but:
The financial statements are intended to show something audited, and they do. They do not show anything resembling the total business activity because much of it is through non-consolidated entities. The subsidiary list shows the ones with ownership causing consolidation. They do not disclose anything about non-consolidated businesses not those of undeniably material relationships with entities such as CAOA. The only hint for that one is Hyundai CAOA. Then there is:
Why do I make a big deal about the Brasil one? Because that one discloses a specific catgory:
5) Project cargo (Train, Factory machine, Equipment etc)

Offers one-stop service during the entire transportation process

Hyundai Glovis has become adept in managing the logistics of factory construction and equipment movement from origin to destination.
There is no material disclosure of the scope of those activities because almost all of it is within Hyundai Kia Group. After all their overall revenues from non-Group shipping rose from 40% in 2016 to 52% in 2019. Despite that the 2019 revenues were 67.8% from the group.

The publicly disclosed VAG deal is not yet part of publicly disclosed revenues. We will not have Tesla indications until 2022 statements arrive.

My opinion is that there is much more business between Tesla and Hyundai Glovis that is not included in this disclosure, some because of spot sales, probably more that is related to logistics and specialty cargo. Although I have done a bit of research about this I must stress that there is no publicly accessible confirmation of any kind supporting my views.

Same situation as you.
I paid all my cars cash in my life, even my Model 3. But I learned from that $56k 2019 Model 3 mistake that I could have invested in TSLA instead.
So I invested the $85k of my Model Y at the last $570 TSLA dip and financed my Model Y.
I was slowly paying my margin with work money until I started selling weeklies options 30% OTM. Now, my margin is paying itself. Magic of Christmas. Merry Christmas to all TSLA investors and thanks to everyone who have helped me and shared their wisdom over the years. This community has been a life changer for many of us! I wish you all good health and TSLA to $3000 by 2023.
Yeah, paid cash for my 2018 M3P. I don’t even want to compute how many shares that would have bought back then 🥺.

But, that car was what got me into this forum and TSLA, so I guess it could be considered my greatest investment move ever! 😁