Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let them ride....wild week ahead for sure.
Back in Jan 2021 when Tesla came out with the surprising 2020Q4 numbers, stock took days to reach local peak. I am hoping for the same next week.

50144C11-E537-40C6-9BB2-C1589B0E7401.jpeg

The dealerships have got the backs of legacy auto for decades so it's hard for big auto to raise prices vs just letting their dealerships making that money.

Traditionally auto cars are "sold" on the books to the dealerships. But this is all an accounting trick as the "sold cars" were bought with borrowed money by dealers from legacy auto. So it cost lots of interest for cars to sit on lots but this insure that big auto constantly having a down flow of cars "sold" to dealerships to keep the economy of scale moving. So when there's a slow quarter worth of sales, the dealerships end up carrying a good deal of the cost while expanding inventory they don't want but legacy in the background give as much rebates to the customer as possible to help dealers move the cars off the lot (essentially legacy reimburse the dealers which they pass some of that savings to the customers).

So you see now that dealers are having the opposite problem in which they don't have enough cars on lot, it is literally their time to shine and it'll be a total douchebag move if legacy takes away that thunder by rising prices.

Dealerships have been making out like bandits the last year. Used cars sales have been through the roof and the dealerships make a healthy profit on that. Manufacturers, not so much!

P&L on the left compares Q4 2021 to Q4 2020
P&L on the right compares Q4 2021 to Q3 2021.

- Non-GAAP Earnings more than tripled vs last year ($3B in Q4 2021 vs $0.9B in Q4 2020)
- Tesla grew Non-GAAP Earnings by almost $1B in a mere 3 months from Q3 2021 ($2B) to Q4 2021 ($3B)
btw: I consider my estimates conservative as margins can come in higher than what I have.

1641160316274.png

My full P&Ls and analysis starts here:

So, a waste of time, huh? Watching the game. 😉
With the stock price increasing, I may buy the New York Jets and an island a piece of land in New York City !
The first thing I do is move the Jets back to New York - maybe buy that Island borough across the river (not Brooklyn, not the Bronx not Queens - one of the other two).

Last edited:
P&L on the left compares Q4 2021 to Q4 2020
P&L on the right compares Q4 2021 to Q3 2021.

- Non-GAAP Earnings more than tripled vs last year ($3B in Q4 2021 vs $0.9B in Q4 2020)
- Tesla grew Non-GAAP Earnings by almost $1B in a mere 3 months from Q3 2021 ($2B) to Q4 2021 ($3B)
btw: I consider my estimates conservative as margins can come in higher than what I have.

View attachment 751232

My full P&Ls and analysis starts here:
So, asuming The Accountant is mostly correct, having the operating income a) increase 50% quarter over quarter and b) also just the mere fact of having 18% operating income while being a manufacturing company...

Who does either? And ... who achieves both?

Any previous examples of manufacturing companies doing that ?

Are we just bulls and fans - or is this really as unique as it seems ?

Last edited:
With the stock price increasing, I may buy the New York Jets and an island !
The first thing I do is move the Jets back to New York - maybe buy that Island across the river.
Committed the TMC sin. We have banned the discussion of buying any kind of land surrounded by water as that signals a sell off which usually takes half a year to recover.

OK - got it.
But still - what is to stop Ford or other car companies from simply raise the price of the cars the sell to the dealers?
I mean, they can clearly see that the demand is there in spades when people are willing to pay huge mark-ups.
I understand that the dealers are making hay - the are profit-driven after all.

What I don't get is why traditional auto is not just raising their prices for EVs.
If they did, the dealers could still do a mark-up, but a smaller one. Legacy auto companies like Ford would then make more money - and thus have more money for all the investments they need for scaling EV production.
Of course, they could do that, but they have the problem that traditional dealers know that EVs will put the majority of them out of business. They also likely know there isn't anything they can do about it but get as much money as they can before that happens. So raised prices on EVs means the dealer just stop ordering.

So, asuming The Accountant is mostly correct, having the operating income a) increase 50% quarter over quarter and also just the mere fact of having 18% operating income while being a manufacturing company... who does that!?
Any previous examples of manufacturing companies doing that ?

Are we just bulls and fans - or is this really as unique as it seems ?
Infinite TAM, great product, great execution, no competition. Only constraints: raw materials and speed of expansion.

I’m no expert. Did I miss anything?

Also I am extremely bullish on FSD revenue. We may see a healthy take rate increase as this is the first quarter with the software having a "soft" major release to the masses.
It all depends on when Tesla starts to recognize FSD revenue. AFAIK, all that revenue is locked away in liabilities on the balance sheet waiting to be sprung on unsuspecting shorts 😄

It all depends on when Tesla starts to recognize FSD revenue. AFAIK, all that revenue is locked away in liabilities on the balance sheet waiting to be sprung on unsuspecting shorts 😄
They recognize 50% it right away which was what I was referring to. So 300k deliveries plus dou le fsd take rate = more fsd revenue than 2020 for the year.