Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But guys…. How about them regulatory credits?!!! We all know Tesla is NOT profitable without them!

…….
Is there an official ER date? 1/25?
Investment grade upgrade after that?
Not an attack on you, but I just want to say that I don’t give a dry fart how Tesla’s debt is rated by the agencies.

I’m also eager to learn the date of the earnings call.

Cr

Spoiler: No one in Houston wants the Texans either.

That's funny - and it reminded me of a popular bumper sticker in Alaska at the end of the Alaska Pipeline Construction that I am sure @AudubonB has also seen a time or two:

"Happiness is 10,000 Texans headed south with an Okie under each arm"

Of course that was in part motivated by a famous Texas postcard which is still somewhat relevant IMO.

1641261972911.png

Last edited:
So...I followed through on this comment from October.

I retire in 10 days.

It feels surreal to be doing this after only 6 years of engineering work, and before even buying my first house or car. All my material possessions can be packed up to move in one day. I am very glad I decided to use most of my income to buy peace of mind and freedom. It feels like I found a loophole in society.

@farzyness has shared in some recent YouTube videos his desire to use the TSLA abundance to take time off to explore and find out what being a human is really about before attacking the next phase of his life. I feel the same way, except for me that adventure may end with a new beginning at Tesla or Boring Co. On the other hand, maybe I'll want to start my own business finally, or step away from the Musk world for a while and get a job somewhere else. Honestly, I don't know right now and I would appreciate any advice from those older and wiser than I, especially those like @Artful Dodger who have given a middle finger to the rat race early in life, or those like @Discoducky who have worked at Tesla.

I wanted to share this here today for a several reasons:

1) Contributing to our community's current camaraderie and euphoria.

2) Inspiring others here to go hardcore with shoveling as much of their capital as possible into investments to build a brighter future for themselves and all of humankind, especially those who are still young enough to do this before the encumbrances of marriage or kids.

3) Asking for advice, as mentioned above.

4) Offering advice for anyone who wants tactics, frameworks and mindsets to save this much this quickly while maintaining a better-than-average standard of living.

5) Inviting American TMC members who might like to meet up to consider sending me a DM, because in a few months, I'll be slowly travelling all around the USA. I've already penciled in a plan with one member in New Orleans. I also intend to spend the summer of 2023 in France if the pandemic has completed by then, and I would enjoy organizing a Euro TMC party.

I love you all. 💜 ❤️ 💛

(Technically I'm not retiring yet; my manager and I set up an unpaid leave of absence for 6 months so I can come back in July if I want to. Something to consider for anyone else considering quitting early but feeling nervous about the finality of terminating employment at their company.)

Nice,

I was 27 when I went on my first vagabond trip. Didn't really reach full financial independance until 30 though which is when I went on a 2nd longer vagabonding trip.

Each time I realize that I need more to live the way I want and came back to real life. My original definition of retirement involves poverty living and isn't really able to feed a family.

I am curious to see what some of the younger members here will do with their retirement. How similar or different the journeys you guys take will be like.

I retire in 10 days.

It feels surreal to be doing this after only 6 years of engineering work, and before even buying my first house or car. All my material possessions can be packed up to move in one day. I am very glad I decided to use most of my income to buy peace of mind and freedom. It feels like I found a loophole in society.

@farzyness has shared in some recent YouTube videos his desire to use the TSLA abundance to take time off to explore and find out what being a human is really about before attacking the next phase of his life. I feel the same way, except for me that adventure may end with a new beginning at Tesla or Boring Co. On the other hand, maybe I'll want to start my own business finally, or step away from the Musk world for a while and get a job somewhere else. Honestly, I don't know right now and I would appreciate any advice from those older and wiser than I, especially those like @Artful Dodger who have given a middle finger to the rat race early in life, or those like @Discoducky who have worked at Tesla.

2) Inspiring others here to go hardcore with shoveling as much of their capital as possible into investments to build a brighter future for themselves and all of humankind, especially those who are still young enough to do this before the encumbrances of marriage or kids.

4) Offering advice for anyone who wants tactics, frameworks and mindsets to save this much this quickly while maintaining a better-than-average standard of living.

5) Inviting American TMC members who might like to meet up to consider sending me a DM, because in a few months, I'll be slowly travelling all around the USA. I've already penciled in a plan with one member in New Orleans. I also intend to spend the summer of 2023 in France if the pandemic has completed by then, and I would enjoy organizing a Euro TMC party.

I love you all. 💜 ❤️ 💛

(Technically I'm not retiring yet; my manager and I set up an unpaid leave of absence for 6 months so I can come back in July if I want to. Something to consider for anyone else considering quitting early but feeling nervous about the finality of terminating employment at their company.)
Maybe this has already been discussed in a retirement thread, but what was your target for retirement and how much do you plan on selling per year to fund living expenses?

Not an attack on you, but I just want to say that I don’t give a dry fart how Tesla’s debt is rated by the agencies.

I’m also eager to learn the date of the earnings call.

I don’t care much either but From what I understand, the better the rating, more institutions will get the green light to buy in. Thus moving the SP. Love seeing the retail investors Hodling strong but it’s the whales that really move markets. And I do care when SP moves on higher…

As a former UT Austin student, then longtime resident while working for Dell and somewhat involved in politics at an arms reach, I think Texas may hold its ground and not let Tesla owners take delivery in the state. I hope that won't come to pass however, but the auto lobby in Texas is only second to oil and then oil is only second to football.

There's the answer! :)
I suppose the short-term brain-dead solution would be that Texans buy their Model Y's from California (like we do now) and sell Giga Texas Model Y's out of state.

Now, when CyberTruck starts production…

Remember that “sky is falling” Tesla Model S front latch recall that the shorts were screaming about?

Well, I just had mobile service come out and check my 2017 MS. Was just fine. Took him about 45 seconds.

Had there been an issue, he said it would take about 20 minutes to fix.

SO16's post was featured by Rob Maurer in the 1/3 Tesla Daily podcast

Maybe this has already been discussed in a retirement thread, but what was your target for retirement and how much do you plan on selling per year to fund living expenses?
Since I started selling options I realized I won’t even have to be selling my core shares.
This significantly changed my retirement target which my portfolio blew past in 2021.

If I didn’t have young kids between 2 and 8 years old going to daycare and school, I would probably retire this year like @Gigapress and bicycle around the world with my wife and discover everything that has to be discovered before buying my ticket to Mars when Starship is ready to take off. For now, just raising my kids while supporting my wife in her quest to educate 5 future bright engineers to change the world. Might be different for everyone, but my Retire Early goal from FIRE has changed from a number for financial retirement goal to a time when my youngest is ready to leave home. Things are in constant evolution, like TSLA stock price targets. Can’t wait to see the update from all the big firms in the next 2 weeks.

Since I started selling options I realized I won’t even have to be selling my core shares.
This significantly changed my retirement target which my portfolio blew past in 2021.

If I didn’t have young kids between 2 and 8 years old going to daycare and school, I would probably retire this year like @Gigapress and bicycle around the world with my wife and discover everything that has to be discovered before buying my ticket to Mars when Starship is ready to take off. For now, just raising my kids while supporting my wife in her quest to educate 5 future bright engineers to change the world. Might be different for everyone, but my Retire Early goal from FIRE has changed from a number for financial retirement goal to a time when my youngest is ready to leave home. Things are in constant evolution, like TSLA stock price targets. Can’t wait to see the update from all the big firms in the next 2 weeks.
I happened to make more today than 5x my investment value 2 years ago. It puts into perspective those who are wanting to cash in with their 15% gain.

While the 5x in one day is amazing, i'm starting to wonder what that looks like in terms of retirement. I'm sure i don't have what a lot of the others have on this forum. My children are a little older however i still need to make sure i have enough to help them with post secondary and get them off on the right foot. Maybe after that, I'll be able to retire.

This forum has been a source of tremendous encouragement. While i laugh at those wanting to cash in after 15%, I also realize that was me 2 years ago. This forum and Dave Lee were instrumental in explaining why I should be holding and not taking quick gains off the table. Two years ago i would have been convinced i would have taken everything off that table once we reached 5,000 presplit. Now i feel more confident than ever that we are just getting started. That doesn't mean we will repeat the 2020 gains, however, 2022 feels less risky than it did at the start of 2021.

I retire in 10 days.

I love you all. 💜 ❤️ 💛

I'm nowhere close to being the oldest nor the wisest TMC member, but here are my two cents.

Early in my adult life (10-15 years ago), I was big on movies and loved movies that suggested there may be more to life than meets the eye, such as I Origins, Mr. Nobody, Interstellar, Arrival, etc. I had been raised a Christian, but had come to the conclusion that religions were made up and were not for me, so some of these movies amended my world view (perhaps there are things beyond what we know) and gave life more meaning that way.

Another movie that I liked a lot, but whose view on life & meaning I did not like at the time, was The Matrix. The Matrix trilogy basically concludes that objectively there is no meaning to life and that all we can do is make up our own meaning (Why do you fight Mr. Anderson => Because I chose to). Over time, this view really grew on me though, and now it's exactly how I view life & meaning. There is none, but each and every one of us is free to choose whichever meaning he/she pleases.

However, in my opinion humans do have some built-in 'meaning' in that all of us are programmed to seek and avoid a number of things, or else we'll suffer, which I don't believe any human desires. Most of these are common knowledge and primary needs such as oxygen, water, food, shelter, etc. Most people have to work in order to be able to meet these needs and survive, but some people, be it through TSLA or other means, are lucky enough that they will never have to worry about these again. This frees up a lot of time.

There are a few other things that I'd add to this list, that in my opinion are just as important, but many people tend to neglect them because they don't realise they're just as important, because there's a larger time-gap between neglecting them and having to deal with the consequences, or because people simply don't have the time to attend to them. The most important ones are: physical health, mental health, and relationships.

I don't think anyone would prefer to be sick over healthy, but exercise and eating healthy take up a lot of time. Furthermore, many health choices (e.g. eating tons of processed food that increase the risk of cancer) won't be noticeable until much later in life after it is too late.

Healthy, fulfilling relationships are also extremely important to one's wellbeing. Neglecting relationships usually doesn't mean facing immediate consequences, but long term investing time and effort into relationships will pay off.

It's hard to go through life entirely unscathed, so most people will go through some very unpleasant experiences (bullying, abuse, death of loved one, etc.) at some point in their life. Properly processing experiences like this takes a lot of time, energy, focus, and in some cases money (therapy), so most people neglect doing so. There's also the effect society has on just about anyone. Most men are taught to suppress their emotions to some extent, many women are affected by unhealthy beauty standards, various races grow up affected by stereotypes, many people are affected by expectations of parents/friends, etc. These often cause people to lose touch with themselves, who they really are, and what they themselves believe in.

Considering all this, I personally think it's very important for someone who recently gained financial freedom to really take inventory of where their life is at. You may no longer have to invest time & energy into work in order to survive, there are a number of other important things that money cannot buy. It may make sense to start dedicating some time and focus to these areas of one's life first and foremost.

Once these things are in order (or if they already are), one can ponder what they find meaningful and want to dedicate their time and energy to. Each individual will come up with a different answer as to what they find meaningful in life, but that's what makes humans so interesting and diverse.

Personally I derive most meaning from helping others, but just like you have to put on your own oxygen mask in an airplane before helping others, don't forget to take care of your own wellbeing first.

Last edited:
Funny video watching Craig Irwin attempting to explain his Neutral rating and price target of $250

"these are iconic brands with, I'd say, ALMOST exciting vehicles coming to market".

They're not exciting, but ALMOST exciting! LMAO! I'm gonna hang my hat on a company who has "almost exciting" vehicles on the way to compete with Tesla.

AP - this afternoon: $29,000 for an average used car? Would-be buyers are aghast

Excerpt:

...As prices for used vehicles blow past any seemingly rational level, it is the kind of scenario playing out at many auto dealerships across the country. Prices have soared so high, so fast, that buyers are being increasingly priced out of the market.

Consider that the average price of a used vehicle in the United States in November, according to Edmunds.com, was $29,011 — a dizzying 39% more than just 12 months earlier. And for the first time that anyone can recall, more than half of America’s households have less income than is considered necessary to buy the average-priced used vehicle...
I track my NetWorth each year and this is the first year my vehicles value has increased. My sole ICE (please don't judge my by my SO choice) vehicle bumped 10% but EV's increased by 20% despite 2x miles driven.
To avoid losing contact with reality with days like today, I always divide by my $7.25 hourly wage when I started working at McDonalds as my first student job. This makes me more appreciative of the 35 years of work increase in one day. This way I feel blessed to have a job that’s doesn’t pay this hourly wage anymore and I feel blessed I started investing in TSLA. The fun part is that even if my OR time has been cut for this week because of covid cases increasing, I am just happy to have one extra day off to spend with my kids. The 3 divorced general surgeons who are between 55 and 65 are all having temper tantrums against the OR chief because they can‘t sustain another income drop. Being Financially Independant makes loss of income insignificant compared to the extra free time to enjoy things of life.
Only due to my age, my minimum wage delivering pizza was $2.3/hr but the Ford Fiesta was way cheaper in 1977!

I retire in 10 days.

I love you all. 💜 ❤️ 💛

congrats! lmk if you’re ever near CT (although it wouldn’t be on my ‘to go’ list). but whatever. just sayin’!

Original plan: $500k by age 30 to bounce for at least a few years spending $25k on average annually, maybe with part time work to supplement $5-15k more.

Current plan: Spending $40k per year maybe? TSLA blew me way past my original goal, so I'm fortunately no longer in the position of trading off how many years of my youth to allocate to earning income in order to have more funds and safety margin. I've built so much frugality and efficiency into my lifestyle habits it would be hard to imagine spending more than $50k unless I moved to NYC or Zurich or something. I have a compulsive addiction to optimizing everything :)

I haven't decided on the mechanics of cashing out yet. If we want to discuss that more the early retirement thread would be better.

As a former UT Austin student, then longtime resident while working for Dell and somewhat involved in politics at an arms reach, I think Texas may hold its ground and not let Tesla owners take delivery in the state. I hope that won't come to pass however, but the auto lobby in Texas is only second to oil and then oil is only second to football.

There's the answer! :)
Tesla should add a $2,000 “out of state” shipping fee to anyone in Texas ordering a Tesla… that should build some public pressure on the politicians… 😊

I retire in 10 days.

I love you all. 💜 ❤️ 💛

Yes, yes, yes! So much love for this! Well done!

I'm nowhere close to being the oldest nor the wisest TMC member, but here are my two cents.

Early in my adult life (10-15 years ago), I was big on movies and loved movies that suggested there may be more to life than meets the eye, such as I Origins, Mr. Nobody, Interstellar, Arrival, etc. I had been raised a Christian, but had come to the conclusion that religions were made up and were not for me, so some of these movies amended my world view (perhaps there are things beyond what we know) and gave life more meaning that way.

Another movie that I liked a lot, but whose view on life & meaning I did not like at the time, was The Matrix. The Matrix trilogy basically concludes that objectively there is no meaning to life and that all we can do is make up our own meaning (Why do you fight Mr. Anderson => Because I chose to). Over time, this view really grew on me though, and now it's exactly how I view life & meaning. There is none, but each and every one of us is free to choose whichever meaning he/she pleases.

However, in my opinion humans do have some built-in 'meaning' in that all of us are programmed to seek and avoid a number of things, or else we'll suffer, which I don't believe any human desires. Most of these are common knowledge and primary needs such as oxygen, water, food, shelter, etc. Most people have to work in order to be able to meet these needs and survive, but some people, be it through TSLA or other means, are lucky enough that they will never have to worry about these again. This frees up a lot of time.

There are a few other things that I'd add to this list, that in my opinion are just as important, but many people tend to neglect them because they don't realise they're just as important, because there's a larger time-gap between neglecting them and having to deal with the consequences, or because people simply don't have the time to attend to them. The most important ones are: physical health, mental health, and relationships.

I don't think anyone would prefer to be sick over healthy, but exercise and eating healthy take up a lot of time. Furthermore, many health choices (e.g. eating tons of processed food that increase the risk of cancer) won't be noticeable until much later in life after it is too late.

Healthy, fulfilling relationships are also extremely important to one's wellbeing. Neglecting relationships usually doesn't mean facing immediate consequences, but long term investing time and effort into relationships will pay off.

It's hard to go through life entirely unscathed, so most people will go through some very unpleasant experiences (bullying, abuse, death of loved one, etc.) at some point in their life. Properly processing experiences like this takes a lot of time, energy, focus, and in some cases money (therapy), so most people neglect doing so. There's also the effect society has on just about anyone. Most men are taught to suppress their emotions to some extent, many women are affected by unhealthy beauty standards, various races grow up affected by stereotypes, many people are affected by expectations of parents/friends, etc. These often cause people to lose touch with themselves, who they really are, and what they themselves believe in.

Considering all this, I personally think it's very important for someone who recently gained financial freedom to really take inventory of where their life is it. You may no longer have to invest time & energy into work in order to survive, there are a number of other important things that money cannot buy. It may make sense to start dedicating some time and focus to these areas of one's life first and foremost.

Once these things are in order (or if they already are), one can ponder what they find meaningful and want to dedicate their time and energy to. Each individual will come up with a different answer as to what they find meaningful in life, but that's what makes humans so interesting and diverse.

Personally I derive most meaning from helping others, but just like you have to put on your own oxygen mask in an airplane before helping others, don't forget to take care of your own wellbeing first.

Thank you for this wonderful post. Sometimes we are too caught up at the $Tsla game and forget the other important things in life.

Tesla should add a $2,000 “out of state” shipping fee to anyone in Texas ordering a Tesla… that should build some public pressure on the politicians… 😊
Legally they can't. The destination charge has to be the same for everyone regardless of how far the vehicle has to be shipped.

However, they could raise the price of the actual vehicle for orders placed in Texas, but that goes against Elon's "everyone pays the same" philosophy.