Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a former UT Austin student, then longtime resident while working for Dell and somewhat involved in politics at an arms reach, I think Texas may hold its ground and not let Tesla owners take delivery in the state. I hope that won't come to pass however, but the auto lobby in Texas is only second to oil and then oil is only second to football.

There's the answer! :)

So, if Elon buys the Houston Texans and announces he is moving them to Fremont he can get a deal ?

Using rough numbers of 1 billion shares outstanding, today's rise in market capitalization with TSLA up $150 is pretty easy to compute....

I've been wondering this afternoon what the single largest daily gain in any company's market cap has been, exclusive of capital raises. A more appropriate question would be, I strongly suspect, what is the second-highest amount?

I think October 25th's $115B market cap rise ($909 from previous close to a close of $1,024) is probably 2nd.

As a former UT Austin student, then longtime resident while working for Dell and somewhat involved in politics at an arms reach, I think Texas may hold its ground and not let Tesla owners take delivery in the state. I hope that won't come to pass however, but the auto lobby in Texas is only second to oil and then oil is only second to football.

And it doesn't help that some of the legislators own car dealerships.

When Tesla starts really pumping out cars, Texas government will definitely be in the spotlight.

Well, I guess competition is coming….for solar roof.

An interesting product that I wouldn’t have thought would be ready for primetime yet. Gotta hand it to GAF - they saw the threat and acted quickly. Will be interesting to compare cost, specs, install process, and how it integrates into the whole home energy setup.
Interesting. My ship sailed I had to get a roof. I've also got acres to spare and no trees to bother panels so we'll go with ground. I'd like batteries but too expensive right now, will wait.

Reactions: navguy12

I'm pessimistic about this myself. I don't see it changing until Tesla starts bribing local politicians like the dealers do. So probably not until the entire dealer structure for legacy auto falls apart, maybe 2028 or so.

Same, this place has been life-changing. I'm planning to retire from corporate work in January, and I'm 27.
So...I followed through on this comment from October.

I retire in 10 days.

It feels surreal to be doing this after only 6 years of engineering work, and before even buying my first house or car. All my material possessions can be packed up to move in one day. I am very glad I decided to use most of my income to buy peace of mind and freedom. It feels like I found a loophole in society.

@farzyness has shared in some recent YouTube videos his desire to use the TSLA abundance to take time off to explore and find out what being a human is really about before attacking the next phase of his life. I feel the same way, except for me that adventure may end with a new beginning at Tesla or Boring Co. On the other hand, maybe I'll want to start my own business finally, or step away from the Musk world for a while and get a job somewhere else. Honestly, I don't know right now and I would appreciate any advice from those older and wiser than I, especially those like @Artful Dodger who have given a middle finger to the rat race early in life, or those like @Discoducky who have worked at Tesla.

I wanted to share this here today for a several reasons:

1) Contributing to our community's current camaraderie and euphoria.

2) Inspiring others here to go hardcore with shoveling as much of their capital as possible into investments to build a brighter future for themselves and all of humankind, especially those who are still young enough to do this before the encumbrances of marriage or kids.

3) Asking for advice, as mentioned above.

4) Offering advice for anyone who wants tactics, frameworks and mindsets to save this much this quickly while maintaining a better-than-average standard of living.

5) Inviting American TMC members who might like to meet up to consider sending me a DM, because in a few months, I'll be slowly travelling all around the USA. I've already penciled in a plan with one member in New Orleans. I also intend to spend the summer of 2023 in France if the pandemic has completed by then, and I would enjoy organizing a Euro TMC party.

I love you all. 💜 ❤️ 💛

(Technically I'm not retiring yet; my manager and I set up an unpaid leave of absence for 6 months so I can come back in July if I want to. Something to consider for anyone else considering quitting early but feeling nervous about the finality of terminating employment at their company.)

That's pretty good, but today's gains exceed 4x my lifetime earnings from age 16 until I retired. That's the power of compounding long-term growth while investing in companies that like to innovate. When I was a commercial fisherman, I thought a $500 day was something pretty special and we would only get a few of them. Typical day fishing in AK was grinding away for 12-14 hours, delivering the fish and getting ready to do it all again the next day, all for about $100 in earnings. Most profitable day ever was $3000/person and we felt like we had won the lottery! Didn't get paid a penny for the week or two it took to get the gear/boat ready each spring, or the week round trip to/from fishing grounds (more like a free adventure vacation). I also took on winter jobs and other work whenever I could. Now I can gain more in one day like this than 4 working careers.
To avoid losing contact with reality with days like today, I always divide by my $7.25 hourly wage when I started working at McDonalds as my first student job. This makes me more appreciative of the 35 years of work increase in one day. This way I feel blessed to have a job that’s doesn’t pay this hourly wage anymore and I feel blessed I started investing in TSLA. The fun part is that even if my OR time has been cut for this week because of covid cases increasing, I am just happy to have one extra day off to spend with my kids. The 3 divorced general surgeons who are between 55 and 65 are all having temper tantrums against the OR chief because they can‘t sustain another income drop. Being Financially Independant makes loss of income insignificant compared to the extra free time to enjoy things of life.

I'll just say, do you know what is in the formula for coke? (coca-cola to be specific) or what spices actually make up the Colonels recipe? Some of these things are kept close to to the chest. Like the model I used in 2008 to get out in August 2008 (and most of my clients) and the model I used in 2009-2011 to market time every federal reserve and rate move (and make 15000% in the options market) Dont' expect these little nuggets to be revealed, most likely ever. The game has many layers, and if one doesn't see them all the opportunity is high to slip on ice.. The only thing I post here is NO, not now, or here is your target, or wait, let the price come to you, or here is where I will scale in, or NOW is the time to enter or exit, but that doesn't illuminate the model, calculation or observation being used - but it is indicative.

Buy or don't buy
Sell or don't sell
that is the question
narrative fallacy;)...buy and hold

People putting out YT videos today about ATH, really? How about doing that when it was sub 900? But everyone smells it now.

People counting their riches today for trades put on two weeks ago, or for what they have held over two weeks? Congratulations but beware of easy come, easy go.

There are likely just as many that sold in the pains of 900s as held on, fewer that added.

Raising targets now? Really Wall Street? Original and worth flushing down the commode?

GJ memes and discussions? Again, just boring. They guy has egg splat (or think of your own substance) all over his face. Why is everyone giving him free rent?

Counting money up as if this went on forever? Look, I get it, been there, done that. Live your life, enjoy what comes, cause 3.14 e raised 5th power or whatever bull dream fodder sure aint gon happen. It might just be a sell signal you are ignoring.

And everyone sure hints and droppin trou and showing what they got is just low couth. ALL I know is that today nicely screwed up my budget for the year that I layed out at 1000 Zulu today. If you are young, don't compare to others, it will rob you of joy. If you are old and carry a big wad, good for you, it is the result of what you did before, the kind of thing these young bucksters can and will do if they learn. It is not the size that counts, IT IS WHAT YOU DO WITH IT!
There is a green transport, green energy generation and green storage transformational change, just beginning its accelerating growth stage. Enjoy the ride. The future is here, it is just not widely distributed yet.

So, if Elon buys the Houston Texans and announces he is moving them to Fremont he can get a deal ?
So, sports are important in texas?

The best way to deal with no direct sales in Texas:

Tesla could sign royalty sharing agreements with Texas A&M, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Astros, etc, to sell sports team themed Tesla's with team colors and logos tastefully designed into the car's paint jobs for only $1000 extra.

There would be an asterisk by the box you need to check that would say, "Only available in states where direct sales are legal". 🤣