Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those without Twitter. Form 5 showing that Elon has donated 5M shares. That may actually have caused some weakness in shares as the recipient entity (likely a charity), would likely have liquidated the shares in receipt.

This was Elon's SEC Form 5, and the "ANNUAL STATEMENT OF CHANGES IN BENEFICIAL OWNERSHIP" as of 12/31/2021. This was filed now since today is exactly 45 days since the end of calendar 2021 (SEC filing rules).

All these shares were donated to charity from Nov 19-29, 2021. This likely reduces Elon's Federal Income Tax payable for 2021. :D

EDGAR Filing Documents for 0000899243-22-006240 | Index page for today's SEC filing

SEC FORM 5 | HTML version of Form 5

Cheers!

For those without Twitter. Form 5 showing that Elon has donated 5M shares. That may actually have caused some weakness in shares as the recipient entity (likely a charity), would likely have liquidated the shares in receipt.
Many charities are more savvy these days. They accept stock gifts all the time, they parse through them and managers decide to sell or sell some portion or whatever. It doesn't behoove anyone to dump shares and any charity worth receiving 5 million shares is probably savvy.

New VIN for Y and code to the VIN #s and letters

Tesla updates VIN manufacturer code to 7SA for Model X/Y - Drive Tesla

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing. From the article, new 2022 VIN Decoder attached below.

Attachments

• 1644887448302.jpeg
    1644887448302.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 270
What in particular do you think that James Douma would explore that Lex Friedman has not already covered?

Elon Musk: on Lex Fridman Podcast #252 (Dec 28, 2021) | "Quitting is not in my nature" - Time index 16:16

Good question, I would need to re-watch the Lex interview.

James has a good understanding of the topic, so he could ask very good highly technical questions, if they were necessary.

But my understanding of the FSD process is probably about as good as it is going to get, and I'll never get a level of understanding that allows me to make better timeline predictions than Elon, or understand 50% of what he understands.

Many charities are more savvy these days. They accept stock gifts all the time, they parse through them and managers decide to sell or sell some portion or whatever. It doesn't behoove anyone to dump shares and any charity worth receiving 5 million shares is probably savvy.
I am thinking this could be to his own charitable foundation. Will perhaps liquidate over time as as needed.

The trust then needs to file a form 4 when it sells. (I have no idea if this is true, but I know @Knightshade will correct me if I am wrong)

"Donor advised fund
In the United States, a donor-advised fund is a charitable giving vehicle administered by a public charity created to manage charitable donations on behalf of organizations, families, or individuals. To participate in a donor-advised fund, a donating individual or organization opens an account in the fund and deposits cash, securities, or other financial instruments. They surrender ownership of anything they put in the fund, but retain advisory privileges over how their account is invested, and how it distributes money to charities."

I'm really unclear what this move does, unless there's someplace where having VINs separated between passenger cars and MPVs (Teslas naming for the old prefix vehicles vs the new ones) matters.

Tesla already had other VIN digits that separated vehicles out by model and trim, so this doesn't free up any more serial # space in those last 6 digits or anything.

While I don't think EVERYTHING Tesla does is some 9D chess move, I do think they don't generally ADD complexity, at all, without SOME reason.

Just unclear what it is here.

Last edited:
Paging @The Accountant Rob’s latest video seems to indicate that we actually have production numbers for January Shanghai

68,117 representing the largest difference between production and wholesale numbers. Also represents record production.
That's welcome news to here. So about 8k cars were sitting at the ports and/or in route to delivery centers. Hopefully that means Feb numbers come in stronger than I'm expecting.

Last edited:
Saw one of the Waymo I-Paces on the highway 10 miles north of San Francisco. This marks the first instance that I’ve seen one outside the city of SF. I wonder if they are now training for an expansion into the greater Bay Area. Strategically, that would be a wise move for them. It will also test the limits of how quickly they can scale their approach to a larger metro area.

Paging @The Accountant Rob’s latest video seems to indicate that we actually have production numbers for January Shanghai

68,117 representing the largest difference between production and wholesale numbers. Also represents record production.

Giga Shanghai Production Dec 2021 | Tesla Daily (Rob Maurer) | Time Index: 6:03

snapshot.China.Production.2022-01.png

Looking at production numbers, that's: 68,117 Jan'22 / 66,759 Dec'21 = +2% MoM Production increase (which is very good, considering the Company holiday taken on Jan 1st, and a wind down at end of month in prep for Chinese New Year). Stable produciton at this high rate now implies at least ~200K production from Giga Shanghai in Q1.

Paging @The Accountant

Cheers!

Last edited:

The CPCA publishes production around the 20th but the data is available earlier for a fee. Looks like Rob purchased the data.
This is a very good production number imo.

Giga Shanghai Production Dec 2021 | Tesla Daily (Rob Maurer) | Time Index: 6:00

View attachment 769188

Looking at production numbers, that's: 68,117 Jan'22 / 66,759 Dec'21 = +2% MoM Production increase (which is very good, considering the Company holiday taken on Jan 1st, and a wind down at end of month in prep for Chinese New Year). Stable produciton at this high rate now implies at least ~178K production from Giga Shanghai in Q1.

Paging @The Accountant

Cheers!
I had estimated production at 67,000 and I was concerned that it may have been too high based on the challenges you mentioned. The fact that they came in higher at 68,117 is very good. February has the partial shutdown for the holiday but I expect March production and deliveries to turn heads.

I had estimated production at 67,000 and I was concerned that it may have been too high based on the challenges you mentioned. The fact that they came in higher at 68,117 is very good. February has the partial shutdown for the holiday but I expect March production and deliveries to turn heads.
Feb's still gonna be a tricky month to estimate. I might be being overly bearish on how much production to expect on Feb. In the latest Wu Wan video, they seem to have improved their logistics surrounding the loaders. In Jan, there were a few instances of the lot being jam packed and not nearly enough loading trucks, which seemed to create a logistics back up. Which also seemed to be backed up by the reports of logistics being behind because of some covid shutdowns across China in Jan.

Right now MSNBC Joy Reid show has a out of control Musk/Tesla hit piece on that is so fact picked it's unreal. I need to find the twitter account for her- Wow! Looks like they unleashed the dogs on him now. Pays no taxes, racism is all over, swastikas in the bathrooms, etc.
who’s joy reid?
are you a bengals fan trying to drown out the pain? you have my sympathy, but there is a better way forward.

I can't imagine this is based on rational decision making as opposed to hatred of Elon and/or Tesla. I look forward to him losing a boat load of $$$

EDIT : I didn't realize this was paywalled. Just saw the headline and figured the rest was self explanatory.

EDIT 2 : found this quote, not sure if in article linked... The fad is in owning TSLA stock. We have quipped before that twice a silly stock price is not twice as silly, it's still just silly. But what about 20 times a silly price?" said Greenlight. "Of course, there is the possibility that we are just wrong and bad at measuring silliness. But setting that aside, we think that the answer is that certain stocks are held exclusively by valuation indifferent investors."

That is definitely not rational thinking. Purely emotional.

Last edited: