Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm left scratching my head.... Everything Musk normally does is to better the planet and humanity. Part of his reason for Tesla was to fund the colonization of Mars. I don't understand why he would want to spend this much money on Twitter. Just like anyone, he can spend his money how ever he wants, but there have to be better ways to blow $40+ Billion....

I'm left scratching my head.... Everything Musk normally does is to better the planet and humanity. Part of his reason for Tesla was to fund the colonization of Mars. I don't understand why he would want to spend this much money on Twitter. Just like anyone, he can spend his money how ever he wants, but there have to be better ways to blow $40+ Billion....
Musk is human. I love him, but I don't think he is the saint purely motivated by bettering the planet and humanity at large that some people portray him to be. He is also motivated by ego among other things. Likewise, many on here claim to be motivated by the "mission," but bash other companies EV companies and their their ambitions (altruistic, capitalistic or otherwise). I too find myself to be Tesla-centric and seem to have more selfish motives related to the stock price than I care to admit.

I'm on another board and there is this poster that is flipping out now excited that Elon could take Twitter over and give "free speech" back to the world and give it the old "suck it" to the left. He is even dreaming about Musk using his Starlink satellites to spread "free speech' everywhere. He says he didn't even like Musk until now.

I would love to hear Musk's detailed version of what "free speech" he is going to fix....what a

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you don't like volatility..etc etc". Well I love volatility simply because it presents so many opportunities, provided of course you have spare cash. I have taken advantage of it over many years to build up my position in Tesla. Looks like another opportunity is presenting itself right now.

Having said that, for a bit of fun I sold 20 @ $1001 this morning when the news broke. Selling $TSLA is not something I ever do and I don't recommend it, but I just fancied a bit of trading fun and its a tiny proportion of my holding. Let's see how that goes :)
Same. This is lots of fun. Made my lunch money yesterday around 1025 and now I'll by those back with some extra shares. The game is afoot.

It doesn't. Musk wants degenerate bigots like Alex Jones and Donald Trump back on the platform -- that'll be his first order of business, mark my words.

He hates seeing nazis like Jordan Peterson reap the social consequences of their hatespeech. That's all this is about.
Elon's past statements would indicate that he will let Jones and Trump back on the platform.

But I can't believe that's all this is about.

Unless ...

Letting Trump back on Twitter makes Musk a hero among the M@GA crowd. Getting their support gives Elon more political influence, which could be very useful in achieving other goals. Imagine if Trumpers started supporting the move to EVs and clean energy! That would be a major coup. Ted Cruz already said he might get a Tesla. An endorsement from Trump would go a long way.

Ironically he actually wanted to stay off twitter and was convinced by someone to get back on. Unfortunately this role could end up leading to very negative outcomes for Tesla regardless of the good intentions or other potential benefits.

Twitter is just above LinkedIn in monthly visitors.

I enjoy it, but I don't get why you would spend 40B on it, or what it would mean for free speech. If you want free speech, you reach more people with Facebook.

What is Facebook? Is that a new social media platform launched recently? How do I sign up for it?

Elon's past statements would indicate that he will let Jones and Trump back on the platform.

But I can't believe that's all this is about.

Unless ...

Letting Trump back on Twitter makes Musk a hero among the M@GA crowd. Getting their support gives Elon more political influence, which could be very useful in achieving other goals. Imagine if Trumpers started supporting the move to EVs and clean energy! That would be a major coup. Ted Cruz already said he might get a Tesla. An endorsement from Trump would go a long way.
Which is odd, since conservatives are a loud minority and decreasing in numbers.

Also, this undermines goodwill with progressives. You know, the crowd that is already supporting clean energy transition.

Say is open for Q1 2022 earnings call questions: Say
Sigh…somehow 1000 questions already on there, and as usual most are boring, or already have been answered in the recent past, or are requesting information Tesla will obviously reveal when they decide to not when asked.

I put in my three but I’ll have to try again next quarter. Does anyone know of a way get notified quicker or do I just have to refresh my email inbox every 5 minutes for a few days around a week before earnings?

Last edited:
The value is in the existing community. Not the code.
A competing system could be built for less than $10M. Elon has enough star power that he would only need to announce the new system and the free speech principles to launch it. Within a day it would have millions of users. Within a year it would pass twitter.

AOL Instant Messenger grew quite quickly despite ICQ already having an established base. Same with Yahoo Messenger, same with Skype. People want a better platform and Elon could go that route for far less cost than buying twitter.

I don't think twitter is worth $1B but it's Elons money and he should do whatever he wants with it.

A competing system could be built for less than $10M. Elon has enough star power that he would only need to announce the new system and the free speech principles to launch it. Within a day it would have millions of users. Within a year it would pass twitter.

AOL Instant Messenger grew quite quickly despite ICQ already having an established base. Same with Yahoo Messenger, same with Skype. People want a better platform and Elon could go that route for far less cost than buying twitter.

I don't think twitter is worth $1B but it's Elons money and he should do whatever he wants with it.
As a CNBC takeover reporter said, a last and final offer does not work in takeovers,
Boards generally don’t accept those terms, so it likely the offer will be rejected.